Watchmen by Alan Moore

Watchmen (original 1986; edition 1995)

by Alan Moore (Writer), Dave Gibbons (Illustrator)

Series: Watchmen - Alan Moore (collects 1-12)

As former members of a disbanded group of superheroes called the Crimebusters start turning up dead, the remaining members of the group try to discover the identity of the murderer before they, too, are killed.
Member:judamasmas
Title:Watchmen
Authors:Alan Moore
Other authors:Dave Gibbons (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (1995), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****

Watchmen #1 by Alan Moore (Writer) (1986)

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (FFortuna, monktv)
    monktv: These books have the epic storytelling and interesting meaning in common.
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (McMinty)
    The Absolute Sandman Volume One by Neil Gaiman (JapaG)
    JapaG: After the Watchmen, Sandman is probably the graphic novel that has most influenced the adult comic scene today. It has similarly deep storyline about humanity from the perspective of one outside of it. Also the magnificent art contributes to the great collection.
    From Hell by Alan Moore (sturlington)
    DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore by Alan Moore (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Includes two earlier Moore/Gibbons collaborations.
    Supreme: The Story of the Year by Alan Moore (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Like Watchmen, this is a superhero story. But it is the complete polar opposite of Watchmen; this is Alan Moore's love letter to the silver age superhero.
    Astro City Vol. 01: Life in the Big City by Kurt Busiek (FFortuna)
    Kingdom Come by Mark Waid (jpers36)
    Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: I enjoyed the back stories in both, seeing how regular people end up as costumed vigilantes.
    Supreme: The Return by Alan Moore (TomWaitsTables)
    The Authority: Relentless by Warren Ellis (MyriadBooks)
    Miracleman Book Three: Olympus by Alan Moore (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Both deconstructionist superhero tales by Alan Moore. WATCHMEN is the more formally masterful work; MIRACLEMAN, the more emotionally devastating one.
    American Flagg!: Definitive Collection Volume 1 by Howard Chaykin (LKAYC)
    Greyshirt: Indigo Sunset by Rick Veitch (kxlly)
    Wild Cards (Volume 1) by George R. R. Martin (LamontCranston)
    Icon: A Hero's Welcome (Milestone Comics Library) by Dwayne McDuffie (FFortuna)
    Those Who Walk in Darkness by John Ridley (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Which is another superhero deconstruction along these same lines.
    The Winter Men {complete} by Brett Lewis (IamAleem)
    The Satires of Juvenal by Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (bertilak)
    Atomika Vol 1: God Is Red by Sal Abbinanti (IamAleem)

1980s (39)
Books (66)

English (456)  French (4)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (467)
A wonderfully inventive revisionist history of superheroes. Perhaps the greatest "comic book" ever made. ( )
  Ghost1y | May 16, 2021 |
I'm glad I've finally read this graphic novel because it is I think one of the few graphic novels that has been chosen for the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die list. And I agree that it has fabulous artwork but the superhero theme didn't really work for me. If I was just rating the book based on the story I'd probably only give it 2 and a half stars. ( )
  gypsysmom | May 2, 2021 |
This book is a graphic novel by Alan Moore. It is set in an alternate reality where superheroes existed and they helped mankind under contract. They helped win WWII, and the author placed the superheroes in famous battles from Vietnam to WWII. The novel is set in the 1980's where the superheroes are now banned. The novel is great for politics, philosophy, quality of writing, and it took graphic novels to an entirely new level to be as thought provoking as Earnest Hermingway. This book is one of my favorite books of all time.

Five Reasons to Teach Watchman in AP Literature http://www.aplithelp.com/watchmen/ ( )
  KylerJones | Apr 24, 2021 |
Reread this again, and enjoyed it just as much as the first time I read it. Still not a major fan of the ending (blasphemy, I know, but I thought the movie ending made more sense). Still a great, classic, important graphic novel. And one of my favorites. ( )
1 vote thoroughlyme | Apr 23, 2021 |
What else can I say that hasn’t already been said about this amazing piece of literature?

Alan Moore brings us an absolute marvel of a story, one that will make you think and rethink about your stance on what it means to be a hero. What it means to be “good” or “evil”. Is it subjective? How thin is the line that separates the two?

Who do you root for? The “good guy” we root for may not be the good guy at the end… or are they?

Dave Gibbons does a fantastic job at the artwork. The images throughout the story conjured up emotions like no other book has done for me this year. The way certain panels were laid out along with the dialogue were fantastic. There was a scene (for those who’ve read it, I’m sure you know which one I mean) where I very nearly cried. And this coming from a “comic book.”

I’ve never been a fan of comics but I heard so many great things about this one that I had to jump in. And I’m sure glad that I did. Go read this. Now. ( )
  ProfessorEX | Apr 15, 2021 |

Moore, Alanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Orlando, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bárány, FerencTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wein, LenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes. Who watches the watchmen? Juvenal Satires, VI, 347, quoted as the epigraph of the Tower commission report, 1987
With special thanks to Neil Gaiman, Mike Lake, Pat Mills, and Joe Orlando.
Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985:
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.
[spraypainted on wall] "Who watches the Watchmen?"
"Looked at the sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children hell-bound as ourselves; go into oblivion. There is nothing else. Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us." (Ch. VI, pg26)
"All this, it could be gone: people, cars, T.V. shows, magazines...even the word 'gone' would be gone." (Ch. V, pg12)
"Why do we argue? Life's so fragile, a successful virus clinging to a speck of mud, suspended in endless nothing." (Ch. VI, pg28)
"We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet that can see the strings." (Ch. IX, pg5)
Some consider Absolute Watchmen to be a notably different work from Watchmen. There is currently a discussion in Combiners! discussing whether or not this separation is needed. Please join the discussion. Please do not combine the two works until this is resolved.
Before separating check ISBN because there are bad titles

A New York Times Best Seller!

This Hugo Award-winning graphic novel chronicles the fall from grace of a group of super-heroes plagued by all-too-human failings. Along the way, the concept of the super-hero is dissected as the heroes are stalked by an unknown assassin.

One of the most influential graphic novels of all time and a perennial bestseller, WATCHMEN has been studied on college campuses across the nation and is considered a gateway title, leading readers to other graphic novels such as V FOR VENDETTA, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and THE SANDMAN series.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,019,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible