Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Never Let Me Go (edition 2005)

by Kazuo Ishiguro

Member:gwalklin
Title:Never Let Me Go
Authors:Kazuo Ishiguro
Info:Faber and Faber (2005), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:favs

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (readerbabe1984, rosylibrarian, ateolf, browner56)
    browner56: Two chilling, though extremely well written, reminders that liberty, freedom, and self-determination are not idle concepts.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (sanddancer)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (jessicaskura, readerbabe1984)
    Under the Skin by Michel Faber (Medellia, SqueakyChu)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (joannasephine)
    joannasephine: A similar society, and a similar obliqueness to the most striking aspects of the story.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (EnriqueFreeque)
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (Yells)
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (infiniteletters, bookcrushblog, bookwormjules)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Monika_L)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (VictoriaPL, meggyweg, ahappybooker)
    ahappybooker: Similar themes of dystopia and vivisection
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jennyellen22)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (joannasephine)
    The Pesthouse by Jim Crace (urania1)
    urania1: If you enjoy dystopian fiction or long for "literary" science fiction, read this book. It deals with the big questions, namely can people retain their humanity in dehumanizing conditions?
    The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian (bookcrushblog)
    The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers (Nickelini)
    We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though it is less witty than We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, Never Let Me Go is another poignant and insightful story about biological experimentation and human identity. Both novels feature lyrical prose, well-developed characterization, and haunting tones of melancholy.… (more)
    The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro (Chenga)
    Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: A thriller and a tragic romance--both authors explore the ethics of people created for specific purposes from the perspectives of those created individuals.
    The Postmortal by Drew Magary (ahappybooker)
    ahappybooker: also a dystopian society where the government makes unethical choices to supposedly improve the world.
    Borderliners by Peter Høeg (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Other children in another school on the shadowy side of the street who are unwittingly being trained to benefit society at large.

English (691)  Dutch (7)  German (7)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Galician (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (722)
This book starts out with the narrator Kathy reminiscing about her schooldays in a boarding school, and nothing is initially out of the ordinary, but gradually a sense of unease creeps over the narrative. It is so cleverly done. You notice, for example, that nobody ever mentions their parents or going home for the holidays. You begin to suspect what is going on, but you have to be patient and let it play out. I could see, while reading it, that it might irritate some readers. For example most of the time it consists of Kathy referring to some apparently important event, building it up, giving chapter and verse about the lead up and then it turns out to be something innocuous or something only important to overwrought adolescents. But I loved it. The description of the trip to Great Yarmouth in particular was some of the most perfect prose I've ever read. It's a highly original book written with skill and subtlety. ( )
  jayne_charles | Jun 14, 2017 |
Un bellissimo libro. Commuovente, intrigante e capace di toccare in profondità l'anima del letto.
Ma.
Ma ha qualcosa che non convince, ha qualcosa che stride e non si amalgama bene con il mondo creato dal narratore. C'è qualcosa che non torna, è come se la storia di questi tre ragazzini, poi adulti e infine cavie umane fosse narrata su un piano parallelo ma mai coincidente con il mondo circostante.

Non so spiegare "cosa" non mi ha pienamente convinta... Ed è forse questa la cosa più inquietante. ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
Can't say I loved this story. It was a bit weird but sometimes you just need to enjoy something a bit out of your comfort zone. ( )
  theeccentriclady | May 24, 2017 |
Follow Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy as they attend Hailsham – a pleasant English boarding school where the students are well supported although they are taught nothing of the outside world and are allowed very little contact with it. When they are allowed to leave Hailsham, they finally realize what it is and who they truly are.

I can’t put this book into words. It was so good. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
I think the effect of this book might have been lessened for me because I already knew about the secret/mystery? So if you haven't read this book just go ahead and do it. It's a good book and a great example of speculative fiction.

An English woman named Kathy, working as some kind of nurse, recounts her childhood at a boarding school with a focus on her friendships with a girl named Ruth and a boy named Tommy.

This book was okay but as I mentioned above I think I lost out because I already knew that the kids were clones bred for organ donation. I didn't care for Ruth because I thought she was too aggressive and mean; I didn't care for Kathy or Tommy because I thought they were too passive (mostly in their reaction to Ruth's rudeness). Because of this the book dragged for me in the middle because I wanted to know more about cloning and organ donation but all I got was melodrama between the 3 characters. But in general it's a well-written book and I'll definitely pick up more Ishiguro in the future.

I think it's notable that it never occurs to any of the self-aware clones to run away or try to escape their fate. They have a ton of freedom while at the cottages and as carers, and they think about all kind of other things like falling in love and getting deferrals and finding their clone-parent. How do they not at least think about running away? Is it proof that they do not have souls?

A quick note about the final page of the book: Kathy drives off in a random direction in Norfolk, gets out of the car, and walks to a ploughed field surrounded by an electric-wire topped fence. Am I wrong in interpreting this as her actually finding Hailsham? It seemed so perfect that she would find Hailsham by instinct right after losing Tommy, and also that it would be located in Norfolk. That would explain why the school did not have a proper map of Norfolk (to prevent kids from figuring out where they are), and it would be very poetic that the place where all the lost things go was where the kids were to begin with. But I went back and re-read the page and I don't think there's actually any textual evidence for my interpretation.
  norabelle414 | Apr 24, 2017 |
Ishiguro is extremely good at recreating the special, oppressive atmosphere of school (and any other institution, for that matter)—the cliques that form, the covert rivalries, the obsessive concern with who sat next to whom, who was seen talking to whom, who is in favor at one moment and who is not.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, Anita Desai (pay site) (Nov 22, 2005)

The eeriest feature of this alien world is how familiar it feels. It's like a stripped-down, haiku vision of children everywhere, fending off the chaos of existence by inventing their own rules.

"Never Let Me Go" is marred by a slapdash, explanatory ending that recalls the stilted, tie-up-all-the loose-ends conclusion of Hitchcock's "Psycho." The remainder of the book, however, is a Gothic tour de force that showcases the same gifts that made Mr. Ishiguro's 1989 novel, "The Remains of the Day," such a cogent performance.

This extraordinary and, in the end, rather frighteningly clever novel isn't about cloning, or being a clone, at all. It's about why we don't explode, why we don't just wake up one day and go sobbing and crying down the street, kicking everything to pieces out of the raw, infuriating, completely personal sense of our lives never having been what they could have been.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, John Harrison (Feb 26, 2005)

Kazuo Ishiguroprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Novarese, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lorna and Naomi
My name is Kathy H.

At the age of thirty-one, Kathy H. is coming to the end of her time as a carer – a milestone that prompts her to reflect on her unusual life. She begins, naturally, with her childhood at Hailsham, where she and her friends Ruth and Tommy negotiated the lessons and Exchanges set by their guardians, as well as the constant social pressures of school life. As her recollections progress, however, Kathy must take care not to delve too deeply into the tangled knot of her own emotions. The past holds no refuge for her; even since childhood, the knowledge of what the future holds has always been there, deep down – and some truths are too terrible to be confronted.

AR Level 6.0, 15 pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307740994, Paperback)

All children should believe they are special. But the students of Hailsham, an elite school in the English countryside, are so special that visitors shun them, and only by rumor and the occasional fleeting remark by a teacher do they discover their unconventional origins and strange destiny. Kazuo Ishiguro's sixth novel, Never Let Me Go, is a masterpiece of indirection. Like the students of Hailsham, readers are "told but not told" what is going on and should be allowed to discover the secrets of Hailsham and the truth about these children on their own.

Offsetting the bizarreness of these revelations is the placid, measured voice of the narrator, Kathy H., a 31-year-old Hailsham alumna who, at the close of the 1990s, is consciously ending one phase of her life and beginning another. She is in a reflective mood, and recounts not only her childhood memories, but her quest in adulthood to find out more about Hailsham and the idealistic women who ran it. Although often poignant, Kathy's matter-of-fact narration blunts the sharper emotional effects you might expect in a novel that deals with illness, self-sacrifice, and the severe restriction of personal freedoms. As in Ishiguro's best-known work, The Remains of the Day, only after closing the book do you absorb the magnitude of what his characters endure. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:35 -0400)

Hailsham seems like a pleasant English boarding school, far from the influences of the city. Its students are well tended and supported, trained in art and literature, and become just the sort of people the world wants them to be. But, curiously, they are taught nothing of the outside world and are allowed little contact with it. Within the grounds of Hailsham, Kathy grows from schoolgirl to young woman, but it's only when she and her friends Ruth and Tommy leave the safe grounds of the school (as they always knew they would) that they realize the full truth of what Hailsham is.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,195,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible