Alles, was wir geben mussten by Kazuo…

Alles, was wir geben mussten (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Kazuo Ishiguro, Barbara Schaden (Übersetzer)

Member:daniinad
Title:Alles, was wir geben mussten
Authors:Kazuo Ishiguro
Other authors:Barbara Schaden (Übersetzer)
Info:Btb (2006), Broschiert, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Science Fiction, Genmanipulation, Organspender

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (2005)

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (readerbabe1984, rosylibrarian, ateolf, browner56)
    browner56: Two chilling, though extremely well written, reminders that liberty, freedom, and self-determination are not idle concepts.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (sanddancer)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (jessicaskura, readerbabe1984)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (joannasephine)
    joannasephine: A similar society, and a similar obliqueness to the most striking aspects of the story.
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (Yells)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (EnriqueFreeque)
    Under the Skin by Michel Faber (Medellia, SqueakyChu)
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (infiniteletters, bookcrushblog)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Monika_L)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (VictoriaPL, meggyweg, ahappybooker, LAKobow)
    ahappybooker: Similar themes of dystopia and vivisection
    LAKobow: This series also deals with dystopian organ donation
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jennyellen22)
    The Pesthouse by Jim Crace (urania1)
    urania1: If you enjoy dystopian fiction or long for "literary" science fiction, read this book. It deals with the big questions, namely can people retain their humanity in dehumanizing conditions?
    The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian (bookcrushblog)
    The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers (Nickelini)
    We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though it is less witty than We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, Never Let Me Go is another poignant and insightful story about biological experimentation and human identity. Both novels feature lyrical prose, well-developed characterization, and haunting tones of melancholy.… (more)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (joannasephine)
    The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro (Chenga)
    Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: A thriller and a tragic romance--both authors explore the ethics of people created for specific purposes from the perspectives of those created individuals.
    The Postmortal by Drew Magary (ahappybooker)
    ahappybooker: also a dystopian society where the government makes unethical choices to supposedly improve the world.
    Borderliners by Peter Høeg (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Other children in another school on the shadowy side of the street who are unwittingly being trained to benefit society at large.

Asia (536)

English (722)  Dutch (8)  German (7)  Spanish (5)  French (5)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Galician (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (756)
couldn't finish, i found it dreary, and couldn't take another memory story, making a young man and women's ordinary experiencesinto a big drama... ( )
  Theothistle | Apr 16, 2018 |
This is probably closer to 3.5 stars, as I'm still not really sure how I felt about this book. It will definitely lead to a good discussion, I don't doubt that. It was just so...weird. Ishiguro presents a very morally ambiguous story (human clones created specifically for the use of their organs), without casting judgement. I think that to me is the most unsettling aspect of this book. The idea of these characters being clones is not even really explicitly stated until 3/4 of the way through the book. The kids talk about it, but it's very casually mentioned and basically dismissed (or at least it seemed to be at the time) after a time. And where and from whom did these clones spring? There's no...beginning, and no real end. So disturbing.

gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I think this book would have had a much bigger impact if I hadn’t watched the film first. The dynamic between the characters was very interesting and Ishiguro has a lot of insight into human nature. I enjoyed the prose and thought the book well written but the plot lacking.

Never Let Me Go has a fascinating premise but Ishiguro doesn’t explore the world, consequences and ethics enough (or at all) instead he focuses on a simple plot that didn’t pull me in.

However, I do think I would have enjoyed it more going in blind. ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 23, 2018 |
A couple of weeks ago I reviewed “The Buried Giant” by Kazuo Ishiguro. I loved it, so I decided to read another of his novels, this time one of the most acclaimed ones: “Never Let Me Go”. It was a disappointment.

6334This is a science fiction novel about human clones, who are raised up to serve as organ donors for their human originals when they get ill. We don’t know this is what the novel is actually about, because Ishiguro builds the story up gradually. We first read about this boarding school in rural England and the lives of the children there, and slowly, excruciatingly slowly, we learn that they are in fact human clones.

Not that there is anything wrong with slow novels. In fact, all the Ishiguro novels I read until now were paced very slowly. But his language and the story compensated for the slow pace. Not so in this novel. For some reason, Ishiguro adopted a technique here that I found quite annoying. The story is told by Kathy, an grown-up, who reminisces about her days at the school for human clones and her relationship with her friends there. Every few pages, Kathy “alerts” the reader that something happened, as a segue into the throwback into the story of how it happened. At first, this technique works. But after it repeats itself over and over again, it becomes tedious. We know Kathy is telling a story from her past; we don’t need the constant reminders we are about to jump back in time.

Perhaps I’m being overly harsh, but this technique ruined the novel for me. The idea behind the story – that human clones have feelings and grow up pretty much like a real human – is an interesting one. But something in how Ishiguro tells the story didn’t work for me.

I will read more Ishiguro, but I hope the next novels I read will be more like “The Remains of the Day” and “The Buried Giant” and less like “Never Let Me Go”. ( )
  ashergabbay | Mar 12, 2018 |
A strange, thought-provoking book. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
Ishiguro is extremely good at recreating the special, oppressive atmosphere of school (and any other institution, for that matter)—the cliques that form, the covert rivalries, the obsessive concern with who sat next to whom, who was seen talking to whom, who is in favor at one moment and who is not.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, Anita Desai (pay site) (Nov 22, 2005)

The eeriest feature of this alien world is how familiar it feels. It's like a stripped-down, haiku vision of children everywhere, fending off the chaos of existence by inventing their own rules.

"Never Let Me Go" is marred by a slapdash, explanatory ending that recalls the stilted, tie-up-all-the loose-ends conclusion of Hitchcock's "Psycho." The remainder of the book, however, is a Gothic tour de force that showcases the same gifts that made Mr. Ishiguro's 1989 novel, "The Remains of the Day," such a cogent performance.

This extraordinary and, in the end, rather frighteningly clever novel isn't about cloning, or being a clone, at all. It's about why we don't explode, why we don't just wake up one day and go sobbing and crying down the street, kicking everything to pieces out of the raw, infuriating, completely personal sense of our lives never having been what they could have been.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, John Harrison (Feb 26, 2005)

Kazuo Ishiguroprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kriek, BarthoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Novarese, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lorna and Naomi
My name is Kathy H.

At the age of thirty-one, Kathy H. is coming to the end of her time as a career – a milestone that prompts her to reflect on her unusual life. She begins, naturally, with her childhood at Hailsham, where she and her friends Ruth and Tommy negotiated the lessons and Exchanges set by their guardians, as well as the constant social pressures of school life. As her recollections progress, however, Kathy must take care not to delve too deeply into the tangled knot of her own emotions. The past holds no refuge for her; even since childhood, the knowledge of what the future holds has always been there, deep down – and some truths are too terrible to be confronted.

AR Level 6.0, 15 pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307740994, Paperback)

All children should believe they are special. But the students of Hailsham, an elite school in the English countryside, are so special that visitors shun them, and only by rumor and the occasional fleeting remark by a teacher do they discover their unconventional origins and strange destiny. Kazuo Ishiguro's sixth novel, Never Let Me Go, is a masterpiece of indirection. Like the students of Hailsham, readers are "told but not told" what is going on and should be allowed to discover the secrets of Hailsham and the truth about these children on their own.

Offsetting the bizarreness of these revelations is the placid, measured voice of the narrator, Kathy H., a 31-year-old Hailsham alumna who, at the close of the 1990s, is consciously ending one phase of her life and beginning another. She is in a reflective mood, and recounts not only her childhood memories, but her quest in adulthood to find out more about Hailsham and the idealistic women who ran it. Although often poignant, Kathy's matter-of-fact narration blunts the sharper emotional effects you might expect in a novel that deals with illness, self-sacrifice, and the severe restriction of personal freedoms. As in Ishiguro's best-known work, The Remains of the Day, only after closing the book do you absorb the magnitude of what his characters endure. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:35 -0400)

Thirty-one-year-old Kathy, along with old friends from Hailsham, a private school in England, are forced to face the truth about their childhood when they all come together again.

4 1964

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,571,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible