Playing With Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant,…

Playing With Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 2) (Skulduggery Pleasant… (edition 2009)

by Derek Landy

When the evil Baron Vengeous escapes from prison, Detective Skulduggery Pleasant and his apprentice, Valkyrie Cain, have just two days to recapture him or the Baron's creature, the Grotesquery, may summon the Faceless Ones back to their world.
Member:pmhlearningcentre
Title:Playing With Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 2) (Skulduggery Pleasant series)
Authors:Derek Landy
Info:HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (2009), Kindle Edition, 404 pages
Tags:eBook(PMH)

Playing with Fire by Derek Landy

English (38)  German (1)  All languages (39)
The Skulduggery Pleasant books are absolutely hilarious and I enjoy them every time I read one. These books have exactly the kind of exciting world I loved reading about when I was younger, and is still nostalgic today. Playing with Fire is just as much fun as the first book in the series, and sets us up for even more danger and thrills to come as the series moves forward.

Now that the world has been unveiled Derek Landy has a bit of room to tease out the relationships between characters, including their sordid pasts. Playing with Fire has the feel of history repeating itself, but this history is just as new to the reader as it is to Valkyrie Kane. We spent quite a lot of time untangling evil motives and plots in this book, but there is still time for Skulduggery’s dry sense of humor and Valkyrie’s family reunion. Many new faces appear in Playing with Fire, but there are also many faces from the first book that we have grown to love. Altogether the characters remain delightful, providing both intrigue and entertainment.

I really do genuinely love fantasies like this where there is a world within a world. It is the idea that there is something more than the eye can see in our own reality, and that that makes everything both in the book and in our own lives feel just a little bit more magical and mysterious. Derek Landy absolutely nails this feeling in the Skulduggery Pleasant series, and Playing with Fire is no exception.

The pacing in these books is fantastic. It keeps the reader on their toes the whole time without getting boring or rushing too quickly. Landy has mastered a perfect balance in his writing style, one that makes this book which is intended for middle graders and young adults accessible to any age. I love the comedy woven in to Skulduggery’s character in particular. And as if all of these things were not enough to make this book incredibly fun, the narrator does an excellent job bringing the story to life.

The only thing that keeps me from making this a five-stars-across-the-board book is the plot. The plot isn’t bad, but it just isn’t as good as the first book was. Playing with Fire sets the stage for the third book in the series, and it is necessary world and story building. However, it just isn’t as exciting as the first book was or I imagine the third book will be. I don’t hold this too much against the book, and in series like this you have to expect that some books are going to be more world building and setting up a storyline than they are going to be standalone exciting books. I can’t emphasize enough that the plot wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t as good as what I’ve already seen. That said, I am absolutely going to continue the series and I look forward to it.

I continue to recommend the Skulduggery Pleasant books, but if you haven’t read the first book in the series read that before you read Playing with Fire. ( )
  Morteana | Jun 28, 2021 |
Playing with Fire
(Skulduggery Pleasant #2)
by Derek Landy

Yes, this is made for middle grade kids but like Harry Potter, grown ups know a good thing when they see it! These are clever, witty, and well thought out books that so entertaining that I just have to have! The first one was hilarious and this one less funny but still very clever! I enjoy the adventures the girl and the skeleton get into. Each have powers. Stephanie/Valkarie can use her mirror image as a double so her parents don't know when she is gone.
Bad guys are after her for a variety of reasons. Speaking of bad guys, they are some strange duds themselves! Wow! Love the imagination! ( )
  MontzaleeW | May 30, 2021 |
struggled to finish this, I got bored.

quickly repetitive and seems to be trying too hard. enjoyed it when I read it a couple of years ago though? ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
I love the banter in these books so much. ( )
  bookbrig | Oct 27, 2020 |
I listened to first in series ( )
  MarianneAudio | Aug 23, 2020 |
This book is dedicated to my family - because otherwise I'd never hear the end of it...

Nadine - Warm. kind, and considerate, I am all of thses things. Audrey - The greatest thrill of your life is probably the fact that I'm your brother. Ivan - Meaningless words such as "brilliant," "amazing," and "inspirational" have been used to describe me, but not nearly enough. If any of you thought that there's be something sincere or heartflet in your dedications, allow me a moment to quietly laugh at you... Because the heartfelt sincerity is reserved for my nana. Chic, this book is also dedicated to you, for all the love and support you've shown me over the years. I love you much more than any of your other grandchildren do, I swear.
Valkyrie Cain hit the parapet and tumbled, unable to stop herself, and with a panicked gasp she disappeared off the edge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,415,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible