The Glass Maker's Daughter (The Cassaforte…

The Glass Maker's Daughter (The Cassaforte Chronicles)

by V. Briceland

Sixteen-year-old Risa's disappointment over an unprecedented event is devastating, but the evil and destruction that follows the king's death show her that the god and goddess have special need of her talents and those of her new, lower-class friends.

I get so tired of books about young kids saving the day, but thoroughly enjoyed this one because the author does an excellent job of showing how the enormity of the situation effects the main character. I also enjoyed the magic system employed by this book - it's simple and elegant, and I can and probably will spend hours thinking about it. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
Risa's adult life is about to begin as the gods are consulted about which insula she will study at. She will leave her family's compound in Cassaforte to study enchantments and learn the family craft. Until the gods decide not to send her to an insula at all, and she is left in limbo to find her own path. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 28, 2013 |
Although it had an interesting topic, this book was dull to me. In fact, I had to put it down several times and began reading other books instead. Once I picked it back up and forced myself to finish it, it wasn't utterly terrible, but it is not among my favorites. ( )
  myrialadel | Jun 3, 2010 |
A strong YA-ish fantasy set in a Renaissance Venice-analogue. Sixteen-year-old Risa, daughter of a noble house of glassmakers, is looking forward to going to one of the insulas to study magic. But an unprecedented rejection sets her feet on a different path. Now, with her parents hostage to an ambitious prince and noble houses beginning to fall, she must rely on a new friend and her own courage and new-found talents to save the city from ruin. ( )
  readinggeek451 | May 18, 2010 |

Naomi Neale is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,574,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible