Rose by Jeff Smith

Rose

by Jeff Smith, Charles Vess (Illustrator)

7311919,601 (3.81)7

[b:Bone|92143|Bone|Jeff Smith|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1420258957s/92143.jpg|88871] is one of my favorite graphic novel series. I started reading Bone when segments were published in Disney Adventures magazine. I had a subscription when I was a kid, and was always excited when Bone showed up in the Comics Zone. When I was in college, I bought the 1300 page trade paperback linked above, and spent one weekend rereading the whole series. Loving the original series as much as I do, it surprised me that there were prequel books written. I was pretty excited to hear about this, and I borrowed Rose from the library.

Rose is the story of Princess Rose (Gran'ma Ben in the original Bone series) and her sister, Princess Briar, as young women learning about the power of dreaming. Rose is one of the most powerful dreamers in the kingdom; Briar's dream eye is blind, preventing her from using magic. Rose and Briar go to Old Man Cave (a familiar location from the Bone Series) to learn more about the history of the kingdom and to repel a dragon attacking the villages near by.

Gran'ma Ben is one of my favorite of many characters from the original Bone series, and I was excited to read more about her past. I was not disappointed in this prequel. I would highly recommend both this book, and the whole Bone series to fans of graphic novels, fantasy, world building, and likable characters. Seriously love this series and have for many years. ( )
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
This book explores the rise of the Lord of the Locusts and looks at his ability to corrupt and control the weak. It also looks at the history of the dragons in the valley. It is also the story of Rose and her rise to leadership.
  edwardcandler | Feb 17, 2017 |
ages 9 to 14
  WatervilleTownLib | Jul 9, 2016 |
As the Bone series progress Jeff Smith decided to create some additional stories based on that particular world. One of these books was this particular graphic novel that showcased the character better known as Gran'ma Ben in the main Bone series. Her real name, of course, is Rose. This book tells the story of what we have discovered in the main Bone series. This book really must be read after reading at least the first six collected editions in the main series or you will have a major plot point spoiled for you in reading it.

For me this was a little more difficult to get through the main book series. The major reason for this is that the choices were more mature here than in the main series. The art style is drastically different than if you were reading the other books, but if feels that it needs to be. This is not as much of a children's rendering of events, but telling you something dark that occurs within the series. The art style is reflective very much of the story contained within.

The main gripe I have with this particular volume is that it is information that one could have primarily obtained through reading the main series. This is a minor gripe though because it is a nice little "extra" for those of us that have been enjoying the main series. It provides some extra information and us that want to see it to see exactly occurred with Gran'ma Ben. I recommend this to those that want to see a little bit more of what occurred with that particular character and also just love the overall Bone series because this will not disappoint, but just be prepared for it to be a bit longer of a read because you will already know much of what occurs here. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Sep 2, 2015 |
The conclusion comes a little too quickly, with punishment doled out abruptly, but those looking for an adventure story in the mold of classic fantasy should enjoy it.

Jeff Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

When a terrifying dragon attacks the small towns of the Northern Valley, a young Princess Rose (known later as Gran'ma Ben) must defeat it. The beast is actually the ancient evil, the Lord of the Locusts, and while Rose faces danger with honor, her elder sister, Princess Briar, follows a more sinister path.
An unforgettable story with beautiful, sweeping artwork, this prequel explores the fateful beginnings of the epic BONE saga.

Princess Rose musters up courage to face the dragon that threatens the small towns in the Northern Valley, only to discover the dragon is actually the Lord of the Locusts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,402,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible