The Love Letter by Cathleen Schine

The Love Letter (original 1995; edition 1999)

by Cathleen Schine

5391929,252 (3.28)28
The effect on Helen MacFarquhar, a 40-year-old divorcee, of a passionate letter which arrives in her bookstore. It is addressed "Dear Goat" and signed "Ram." As she tries to guess who Ram could be, the power of suggestion takes over, igniting a romance with the young student working in the store for the summer.… (more)
Member:evareads
Title:The Love Letter
Authors:Cathleen Schine
Info:Signet Book (1999), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:chick-lit, love

The Love Letter by Cathleen Schine (1995)

English (17)  Italian (1)  All languages (18)
-- Schine's novel is tightly constructed. Owner of a bookshop has a romantic relationship with a young male employee. (Think Anne Bancroft & Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate.") Bookshop owner rereads letter often, & sentences reappear throughout novel. -- ( )
  MinaIsham | Oct 22, 2018 |
If you can accept the idea that a bookstore in a small coastal town in the pre-kindle era could generate enough revenue to support five employees and that a thoroughly obnoxious middle-aged woman could be the hottest thing in town and attract a twenty year old lover, then this is a pretty good story. I have issues with things like that. Overlooking those little problems it is a pretty good romance and avoids the punishment doled out by most authors to people who engage in social unacceptable relationships. The surprise twist at the end was particularly good. ( )
  varielle | Jul 10, 2018 |
So boring! I had recently heard about this book because it was (supposedly) a book about a bookstore. Awesome! I had never heard of this book before (and had no idea it was also made into a movie?) but I have a weakness for books about books/reading/bookstores/libraries so I thought this would be a great read.

Sadly, not so much. The book opens on Helen, the bookstore owner. She is beautiful, she is flirty, she is an independent woman after her divorce. And she's into her college-aged employee, Johnny. It was very difficult to get into the book when we have this set as the opening. Helen was already a highly unappealing character and one I couldn't identify with at all.

I don't mind unappealing/unlikeable characters, but I am not sure if it was the author's intention to make Helen like that and whether this was a failed attempt to make Helen as an appealing heroine in some form. I also didn't realize the book was also more of a romance. I try hard to be open, but romances often don't appeal to me.

Overall the book was quite dull. I was shocked to see that on Amazon it has 40% one star reviews. That's quite a lot for a book and while I try not to let reviews affect my POV, this was a situation where reviews would have been a good guidance.

Don't recommend it. It's going back to the library. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
I remember reading this years ago. The story or writing wasn't anything too special but I suppose it was just the perfect "summer book" for me at the time. I am still looking for a similar light reading experience. There is something about (adult) people living a few hot summer months in a small community that appeals to me. ( )
  Tytti-K | Nov 28, 2014 |
Heard about this book from Deanna Raybourn. She wrote about it on her blog.
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
O love is the crooked thing....

W. B. YEATS, Brown Penny
To David, Max and Tommy
The honeysuckle was everywhere the day the letter arrived, like heat.

Independent, irresistible Helen MacFarquhar is the proprietress of a bookstore in an idyllic seaside town in New England. Here, the happily divorced mother of a bright and lovable eleven-year-old girl corrects perfect strangers on their grammar, sells mysteries to die-hard history readers, and flirts with the town. And the town, utterly smitten with Helen's bewitching blend of sense and sensibility, flirts back. It's all perfectly innocent...until the morning an anonymous letter arrives - an ardent missive penned by an unkown lover. The fervor and mystery of the letter intrigue Helen, and it eventually touches her heart as she is swept up in a fiercely tender affair with a thoroughly unsensible and unsuitable suitor.

(0-452-27948-8)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,559,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible