If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay (edition 2010)

by Gayle Forman

Series: If I Stay (1)

While in a coma following an automobile accident that killed her parents and younger brother, seventeen-year-old Mia, a gifted cellist, weighs whether to live with her grief or join her family in death.
Member:Nicki14
Title:If I Stay
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Speak (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (foggidawn)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kaledrina)
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (sduff222)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (meggers12)
    Where She Went by Gayle Forman (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (melissarochelle)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (tina1969)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (Cecrow)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    weener: Another book from the point of view a young person who is having an out-of-body experience.
    Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A really great book that explores tragedy through a strong female teen voice in first person.
    How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford (weener)
    Midnight Hour Encores by Bruce Brooks (weener)
    weener: About young women who are interested in music and family.
    Hopeless Savages Volume 2: Ground Zero by Jen Van Meter (weener)
    weener: I was reading If I Stay, and I thought, "I recognize those grown-up punker parents. It's just like the Hopeless-Savages!"
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (tina1969)
    How It Ends by Laura Wiess (weener)
    weener: Riveting and heartbreaking teen fiction.

English (526)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (530)
Meh. Incredibly predictable. Foreman's writing is sound but, ugh, what an uninteresting plot. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
WOW. I connected so much with Mia. This short, sweeping, heart warming story is beautifully written. I can't wait to read more of Gayle Forman's books. ( )
  ElizaTilton | Nov 5, 2021 |
I'm going to get back to this book. It's beautiful and touching, and I'm curious as to how it will all end or not end for the protaganist. ( )
  RakishaBPL | Sep 24, 2021 |
A good book. Matches My Immortal by Evanescence ( )
  ReneGuenon | Sep 20, 2021 |
meh. some interesting points in terms of coma and liminality. would have preferred something more based on peoples experiences. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
If you want a story that really grabs at your heart this is perfect. Mia is a teenager who plays cello which comes almost natural to her. She even auditioned for Julliard . I really should have read this one at a better time than on a road trip. Considering the first chapter puts you right into a horrific car crash after a great morning with her family trying to decide what to do on their snow day. When I grabed this book I kind of just scimmed through it not really knowing what I was really in store for. During the car crash scene I had to stop several times because of the gore and pain I felt reading this. Of course I don't think it help stoping either for a while because every time my husband had to change lanes i was cringing inside, I'm just glad it wasn't snowing. I had to get back into the story because I just had to know what was going to happen to Mia.
The parnormal effect in this book was perfect, She was an apparition standing in the whole time looking over her life from the outside looking in. She was in a coma and heard everything but was unable to do anything. She had to decide whether to go with her family she lost or stay with the ones left be hide. Every character in this story I loved from the quite grandfather to the punk rocker boyfriend. I loved the flash backs of her family they made the book even more enjoyable. This story had me on the verge of tears several times. I was begging Mia to just stay the whole time. If this happen to me I think I would have a really hard time choosing. I will be reading this one over and over again!

Via Mia's thoughts and flashbacks, Forman (Sisters in Sanity) expertly explores the teenager's life, her passion for classical music and her strong relationships with her family, friends and boyfriend, Adam. Mia's singular perspective (which will recall Alice Sebold's adult novel, The Lovely Bones) also allows for powerful portraits of her friends and family as they cope: Please don't die. If you die, there's going to be one of those cheesy Princess Diana memorials at school, prays Mia's friend Kim. I know you'd hate that kind of thing. Intensely moving, the novel will force readers to take stock of their lives and the people and things that make them worth living.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly

Belongs to Series

For Nick
Finally . . . Always
Everyone thinks it was because of the snow.

On a day that started like any other… Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the one decision she has left—the most important decision she’ll ever make. Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,514,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible