Fear No Evil by Natan Sharansky

Fear No Evil (edition 1988)

by Natan Sharansky

Temperamentally and intellectually, Natan Sharansky is a man very much like many of us--which makes this account of his arrest on political grounds, his trial, and ten years' imprisonment in the Orwellian universe of the Soviet gulag particularly vivid and resonant. Since Fear No Evil was originally published in 1988, the Soviet government that imprisoned Sharansky has collapsed. Sharansky has become an important national leader in Israel--and serves as Israel's diplomatic liaison to the former Soviet Union! New York Times Jerusalem Bureau Chief Serge Schmemann reflects on those monumental events, and on Sharansky's extraordinary life in the decades since his arrest, in a new introduction to this edition. But the truths Sharansky learned in his jail cell and sets forth in this book have timeless importance so long as rulers anywhere on earth still supress their own peoples. For anyone with an interest in human rights--and anyone with an appreciation for the resilience of the human spirit--he illuminates the weapons with which the powerless can humble the powerful: physical courage, an untiring sense of humor, a bountiful imagination, and the conviction that "Nothing they do can humiliate me. I alone can humiliate myself."… (more)
Member:kaa1
Title:Fear No Evil
Authors:Natan Sharansky
Info:Random House (1988), Hardcover, 459 pages

Fear No Evil by Natan Sharansky

I am not sure how or what to rate this book, since Sharansky was always, despite my not yet being Jewish, a hero to me for some reason. I feel like I only even heard of him after I finished college, yet I recall making dinner for a couple of former Soviet refusniks who'd gotten out of the Ukraine just after the explosion of Chernoble, in Kiev, yet this would have had to have been in 1985, and Chernoble was earlier. Nevertheless, in speaking with them, I felt honored to have a connection with people like Sharansky, who fought an oppressive regime and spoke out for those who could not speak.
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
NO OF PAGES: 437 SUB CAT I: Biography SUB CAT II: Russian Jews SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: A computer specialist, Sharansky became in the mid-seventies a spokesman for Moscow's dissidents seeking to emigrate to Israel. First denied an exit visa in 1973, he was subsequently harassed by the KGB, prevented from joining his wife when she left USSRNOTES: SUBTITLE:
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |

Natan Sharanskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hoffman, StefaniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

PublicAffairs

An edition of this book was published by PublicAffairs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,254,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible