Riptide. by Douglas Preston

Riptide. (original 1998; edition 2001)

by Douglas Preston (Author)

An attempt to recover a pirate treasure from a booby-trapped hiding place, a water pit in Maine. Many have died attempting to enter it, including Martin Hatch's father and brother. Now Martin himself tries, using the latest in computer technology.
Member:ballphoenix
Title:Riptide.
Authors:Douglas Preston (Author)
Info:Droemersche Verlagsanstalt Th. Knaur Nachf., GmbH & Co. (2001), 504 pages

Riptide by Douglas Preston (1998)

English (34)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (36)
Right out of the pages of the History Channel, the search for the lost treasure of of of; hmm, well it is sort of like being close inside while watching The Curse of Oak Island. The big difference is, Preston and Child have made is so much more exciting. There isnt the drama of waiting and waiting and waiting. Yes there are failures and seeming impossible obstacles, yet in Riptide the reader sees them over come by modern technology. The story is very straight forward and there is nothing particular surprising about it. The real story is the writing and the characters.

From something that sounds interesting Preston and Child have forged a very interesting and exciting adventure. The search for the treasure can encounter all types of barriers and obstacles, we all expect that BUT the background, the who what when where why and how are all covered in the story. We know the legend of the treasure and how it was accumulated by one of the most viscous to sail the seas. Yet the pirate and all his mates all died under strange circumstances prompting legend and the curse on the treasure. The mysterious sword that is part of the treasure and center of the curse. The list of failures to find the treasure all thwarted by obstacles put in place to protect the treasure. And one interesting piece of information, why did the pirate put so much trust in renowned 17th century architect to construct an impenetrable fortress for his treasure. A fortress that has managed to baffle and stymied all who tried to unlock the secret and get the treasure over the centuries. Will modern technology prove to be the answer to find the treasure or will the curse continue taking its toll in human lives.

Did not really know what to expect when I picked up this book outside that have always found Preston and Child's stories and writing has always been enjoyable and that they come up with some of the most fascinating and unique situations stories and solutions to apparent insolvable problems. Well to say the least, they did not disappoint me. Was very impressed by how the so smoothly covered all the bases and brought the reader a great thriller. Needless to say, yes I really enjoy this book. ( )
  can44okie | Aug 28, 2020 |
Ever hear of the Oak Island mystery? If you haven't, you should look it up. It's a fascinating (and TRUE!) story of buried treasure…or at least a buried SOMETHING, on an island off the coast of Nova Scotia. As I have many times, Preston and Child have taken a more-or-less historic event and built a tale around it, and a fascinating one at that. In fact, outside of the Pendergast books, this is probably my favorite book by P & C. It's gripping right clear through and holds up through repeated readings…and I ought to know, I've read it four times now. I'd say it's the perfect vacation book, but it's awfully distracting. Perhaps the perfect "cold winter day" book?

Interested in reading the "in fact" basis of the story? Here's an excellent article, courtesy of Doug Preston His Own Self:

http://www.prestonchild.com/books/riptide/Death-Trap-Defies-Treasure-Seekers-for... ( )
  Jamski | Jul 18, 2018 |
Riptide by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child is a thriller based on the real life Oak Island Money Pit, which is a rumoured burial site for hidden pirate treasure. Over the past 200 years, many attempts have been made to excavate the site for the rumoured treasures below, but all have ultimately failed and fallen apart, with lives lost in the process. This is the story of a modern attempt much like those which came before, brimming with overconfidence and even arrogance, all of which turns to greed and foolishness, which result in disaster.

I discovered the mystery of Oak Island many years ago and it is an absoltuely tantalizing one. Sadly, it's very likely that there is no mystery, no treasure at all, and that it's just a natural sinkhole. But when the mystery is laid out and all the rumours are there, it makes you itch to get out there and start digging yourself.

Riptide's intro actually stays pretty close to the real, documented events that have taken place over the last 200 years and sets up the story as the lastest in those arrogant attempts to tackle the deadly island. Being a Preston & Child book, I assumed it was a thriller, and it was, but initial events in the story had me wondering if maybe it wasn't going to turn into a bit of a horror. Then I got really excited and hoped it would turn into a real supernatural ghost story that would be creepy and awesome. I mean, come on, pirate ghosts are the best ghosts, right?

Sadly, the story tinkered on with a much more mundane storyline, no ghosts at all, and wrapped up in a rather 'scientific' ending. Something realistically plausible. Which is fine. But when you're all pumped up for a ghost story, what the hell, man? Right? I would have totally bumped the review up to 5 stars if there'd been actual ghosts.

Still, the authors keep the story moving and include some nice character driven plotlines which deepen the story so it isn't all about action. Though there is action, and sometimes it has you on the edge of your seat. Especially when everyone loses their shit near the end and starts wearing their crazy-pants.

It being Preston & Child too, I knew they aren't shy about killing off characters in their books, so, being a fan of their stuff, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, know what I mean? Ok, you've made us root for this one or that one and this love story or that one, at what point are they going to die? Cave in? Stormy seas? Any minute now... Normally, I hate it when they kill off a character I'd rather not lose, but this time they didn't, so I was happy. ( )
  TimothyBaril | Jul 24, 2017 |
Nah
  wanderland | Apr 16, 2017 |
It is strongly believed pirated buried a massive amount of treasure on Ragged Island, Maine. For hundreds of years treasure hunters have tried in vain to retrieve the fortune. The story starts with Malin and his older brother Johnny taking the family boat to this treacherous island. All the mining over the years has rendered the island dangerous with pits and abandoned rusting and leaking equipment. But for adventurous boys they see only excitement even though thus act is strictly forbidden! This trek does not turn out well and we skip forward 30 years. Malin is now a doctor as well as the owner of Ragged Island although he hasn't been back home sine he and his mother left not long after the incident. One day he is approached by a wealthy treasure seeker who has all the state of the art equipment needed to unearth 2 billion dollars worth of treasure. He has greedy sponsors as well as eager, intelligent and skilled workers. Money no object and he believes the treasure will be his, with plenty to go around in just 4 weeks. He convinces Malin to let him begin the dig taking on Malis as the company doctor. As bodies long ago are unearthed and workers become ill with rare and unrelated symptoms, the doctor unravels this mystery of the illnesses, with a shocking revelation.
This is a scientific thriller and is rather detailed. The explanations for the way the treasure was buried, the booby traps, the curse are satisfying to the reader as the mysteries begin to unfold.
This is not an easy read, but exciting and a definite thriller. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Contreras, SusanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Garène, MichèleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Houweling, MarcellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica.
Douglas Preston dedicates this book to his brother, Richard Preston.
On an afternoon in June 1790, a Maine cod fisherman named Simon Rutter became caught in a storm and a strong riptide.

TIDE OF OBSESSION

Three hundred years ago a pirate buried his bounty on a treacherousisland off the coast of Maine. Now a high-tech treasure hunter is bringing his million-dollar recovery team to Ragged Island.

TIDE OF DANGER

They have the best hardware, the best divers, and the perfectly planned operation. There's only one problem: this island kills.

TIDE OF EVIL

First the computers fail. Then one man dies--and then another. Now the wind has begun to howl and the mysteries of Ragged Island are cracking open. Inside a rocky fortress of tunnels, traps, and tides, a priceless treasure lies waiting .... And so does an unimaginable evil...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,434,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible