Persuader: A Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child

Persuader: A Jack Reacher Novel (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Lee Child (Author)

Series: Jack Reacher (7)

Jack Reacher. The ultimate loner. An elite ex-military cop who left the service years ago, he's moved from place to place-without family-without possessions-without commitments. And without fear. Which is good, because trouble-big, violent, complicated trouble-finds Reacher wherever he goes. And when trouble finds him, Reacher does not quit, not once-not ever. But some unfinished business has now found Reacher. And Reacher is a man who hates unfinished business. Ten years ago, a key investigation went sour and someone got away with murder. Now a chance encounter brings it all back. Now Reacher sees his one last shot. Some would call it vengeance. Some would call it redemption. Reacher would call it-justice. Jack Reacher takes an undercover assignment to investigate the disappearance of a federal agent from the home of a notorious drug dealer, but Reacher soon discovers that the dealer has ties to a man from Reacher's own past.… (more)
Member:jddworkin
Title:Persuader: A Jack Reacher Novel
Authors:Lee Child (Author)
Info:Delacorte Press (2003), 352 pages

Work Information

Persuader by Lee Child (2003)

English (81)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  All languages (87)
Great gripping read ( )
  RonCrouch | Mar 26, 2022 |
The best way to clinch a pending promotion is to let them think you're just a little dumber than they are. It had worked for me before, three straight times, in the military. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Mar 7, 2022 |
Synopsis: 'Walking along the street, Reacher sees a man who should be dead. Ten years before, that man murdered someone important to Reacher and got away with it. Should Reacher contact the police and let them sort it out? That isn’t something Reacher has much patience for. No-wait justice, that’s our guy.
Jack Reacher is working unofficially with the DEA to bring down a boy's father, Zachary Beck, who is suspected of smuggling drugs under the pretext of trading in oriental carpets. They stage a kidnap effort on Zachary's son, Richard Beck. A frightened Richard places his trust in Reacher and asks him to take him back home. Reacher gains access to Beck and gradually gains his confidence by working as a hired gun/bodyguard.
While working undercover he regrettably has to eliminate a few of Beck's minions to prevent them from exposing him. During this time he figures out that he was not the only undercover agent appointed to keep track of Zachary Beck. The house maid too, turns out to be a federal agent trying to find evidence of arms smuggling against Zachary.
The DEA, on finding that they were mistaken about the nature of the business Zachary was involved in, tries to pull Reacher out. Reacher refuses to step back as his primary motivation in getting involved at all in this off-the-books operation is to have another go at Francis Xavier Quinn, a former Military Intelligence agent who, ten years before, had brutally mutilated and murdered a female military police colleague of Reacher's.
Reacher had originally presumed Quinn to be dead after their last little encounter but found that assumption to be incorrect after running into Quinn in public. It's ten years later and Quinn somehow just happens to be Zachary Beck's boss in a supremely lucrative, international gun-running enterprise. And it is revealed that Zachary was forced into working for Quinn and his family was tormented by bodyguards appointed by Quinn.
As always, it is Reacher's all-consuming obsession with revenge, or at least with his personal interpretation of doling out justice, which pushes him far beyond the normal boundaries of physical endurance and acceptable risk.'
Review: While some of this dragged, other parts were interesting. It was classic Jack Reacher, with violence and the good guy winning - sort of. ( )
  DrLed | Feb 26, 2022 |
I seem to have a recurring problem with the Reacher series. It takes me forever to get into them and to read the first half, but then I'll stay up all night to finish the second half! This story was a bit convoluted and the flashbacks became pretty damn annoying toward the end, but overall a good read. ( )
  AliceAnna | Jan 13, 2022 |
I continue to be astonished—but no longer surprised—by how good the Jack Reacher books are! This one, like the others, is taut, gripping, intense, and a hell of a page-turner. I ended up staying up far too late to finish the second half of this book all in one go, as I found it by that point impossible to put down.

It's been about a year since I read a Reacher book, so it may be that my memory is faulty. But a couple things surprised me because they at least seemed different from the others I've read. One is the heavy use of flashbacks, in which Reacher doles out pieces of the story that connects him to a person he meets by chance in the street, setting in motion all the events of the present. We expect, based on Reacher's reaction to that meeting, that the flashback story doesn't end well, and as we watch the present-day story unfold with lots of parallels, anticipation of that ending just ramps up the tension.

Another surprise to me was just how violent Reacher is. He kills a lot of people, deliberately and with prejudice, barehanded, with knives, and with guns. Some of them are clearly evil, others criminals who've escaped justice, but a few seem like nothing more than hired goons who went to work for the wrong guy, and could just as easily have been disarmed and knocked out. I think there's only one instance here of Reacher leaving someone alive when getting them out of his way. Is that how he acts in the other books, or is it caused here by the events in Reacher's past that make this a very personal story for him? I guess I'll find out when I read the next one.

One thing that did not surprise me, but which I'll mention because it recently came up in conversation with a friend, is Reacher's fallibility. There is apparently a thread of Internet criticism of the Reacher movies that complains that the movie character is nothing like the book, because (among other things) Reacher in the books is "perfect", and never makes mistakes. People with that claim must have read different books than I have (there are a lot in the series, after all), because Reacher definitely screws up. In this one, Reacher mentions "questions I wish I'd answered differently", and "Mistakes coming back to haunt me" starts to sound like a mantra in the second half of the book. What Reacher is, though—and this is a big part of the series's appeal to me—is competent. He's good at what he does, knows what he's not good at, and doesn't make the sort of nonsensical mistakes that only occur in order to generate plot in bad thrillers. Even the main bad guys are competent, with their main flaw tending to be underestimating Reacher. These books are great to dive into when you are tired of idiots.

To sum up, this isn't the kind of book I expect to ever read again, but man it was a good one to read, and I'm glad I did. ( )
  JohnNienart | Jul 11, 2021 |
FOR JANE

AND THE SHORE BIRDS
The cop climbed out of his car exactly four minutes before he got shot. He moved like he knew his fate in advance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,100,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible