A Brief History of the Paradox: Philosophy…

A Brief History of the Paradox: Philosophy and the Labyrinths of the Mind (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Roy Sorensen

A Brief History of the Paradox is the first narrative history of paradoxes. Sorenson draws us deep inside the tangles of riddles, paradoxes and conundrums by answering the questions which are seemingly unanswerable. Can God create a stone too heavy for him to lift? Can time have a beginning? Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Filled with illuminating anecdotes, A Brief History of the Paradox is vividly written and will appeal to anyone who finds trying to answer unanswerable questions a paradoxically pleasant endeavour.… (more)
Member:Jewsbury
Title:A Brief History of the Paradox: Philosophy and the Labyrinths of the Mind
Authors:Roy Sorensen
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2005), Paperback, 416 pages

A Brief History of the Paradox: Philosophy and the Labyrinths of the Mind by Roy Sorensen (2003)

As you would expect, this book is difficult reading, especially if you really try to comprehend each side of every paradox. It is also difficult to follow thousands of years of history as the concept of paradox evolved. However, Sorensen makes the adventure more interesting and enjoyable by sprinkling in historical anecdotes such as the suspicions that Kant was suffering from a prefrontal lobe tumor because his Critique of Pure Reason was incomprehensible to some. Sorenson’s writing is clear and expressive. One passage I found humorously ironic was, “Severely retarded sufferers of “chatterbox syndrome” have normal, even overdeveloped, linguistic faculties that enable them to pass as hypersophisticated conversationalists. They use big words.” ( )
  drardavis | Nov 13, 2017 |
I was disappointed in this book. I thought it would be an in depth discussion on paradoxes, but rather it was about the history of them. Paradoxically, if I had studied the title carefully, I probably would have realized what I was getting into. Ha. ( )
1 vote goodinthestacks | Apr 13, 2010 |
There are two famous labyrinths where our reason very often goes astray: one concerns the great question of the Free and the Necessary, above all in the production and the origin of Evil; the other consists in the discussion of continuity and of the indivisibles which appear to be the elements thereof, and where the consideration of the infinite must enter in. The first perplexes almost all the human race, the other exercises philosophers only. -- Gottfried Liebniz, Theodicy
Here and elsewhere we shall not obtain the best insight into things until we actually see them growing from the beginning ... -- Aristotle, Politics
To those who never have a book dedicated to them.
"...5, 1, 4, 1, 3—Done!" exclaims a haggard old man.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,554,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible