Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

Good in Bed (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Jennifer Weiner (Author)

A "plus-size" pop culture reporter discovers her ex-boyfriend has been writing about their love life, describing it as an "act of courage."
Member:wendycampbell2014
Title:Good in Bed
Authors:Jennifer Weiner (Author)
Info:Washington Square Press (2002), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner (2001)

Dietland by Sarai Walker (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Dietland is a more nuanced and complex novel about some similar topics -- and much, much less vapid.

English (128)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (132)
I won't lie, at first, reading this was a bit of a roller coaster. I'm a size 20 and I hate my body. So at first, I was excited. A plus size woman as a protagonist! One who I could relate to...until I found out her size. Somewhere along the line I stopped considering anything under a size 18 plus size. But as I kept reading, I was entranced. I really could relate to her! On some level at least. I'm married, and I was at my heaviest on my wedding day. But I remember looking in the mirror and thinking, how can he love this? Look at me. I'm so FAT. I'd tried the weight loss programs. I'd had problems at work because of my weight. It was so refreshing to read about Cannie and her internal struggles with her weight and love and life in general. Cannie is a heroine that all girls and women, no matter their size, should and can look up to... This book is revolutionary for me, and I plan on sharing it with my friends and family!

I received a free copy in exchange for a fair and honest review. And if I'm being totally honest, had I stopped after learning Cannie's dress size, I probably would have given this book 2 stars because I felt so much fatter. But I'm glad I kept reading, or I would have missed out on an amazing story. ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Dec 24, 2019 |
I found this book on my book shelves at home. How did it get there and when did I get it? I don't know. I decided to read it, even though it is not my usual type of read.

I ended up really enjoying it. I thought given the title that the book would have more sex, but it was actually pretty tame. The main character, Cannie, is very likable. She complains about being "plus size" although at a size 16 she is pretty average for the United States. The story of her breakup and subsequent second thoughts is interesting and I was rooting for her to find happiness. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
What charm this chicklit book had in its ridiculous plot, was lost in plodding exposition. I was just barely able to make it through in a few spots. Zaftig Canny thinks nobody loves her because she's overweight and her ex-boyfriend is kind of a tool. She moons, she gestates, she runs off with her new celebrity BFF to LA, she freaks out. I was happy to see her happy end. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
It's been a while since I read this but I remember loving it! This is the one that got me hooked on Jennifer Weiner. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Grazioso, si legge in un pomeriggio e stupisce per la scarsa attinenza con i temi che il titolo potrebbe lasciar presupporre. ( )
  Eva_Filoramo | May 3, 2018 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leskinen, TerhiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Home is so sad. It stays as it was left,
Shaped to the comfort of the last to go
As if to win them back. Instead, bereft
Of anyone to please, it withers so,
Having no heart to put aside the theft
And turn again to what it started as,
A joyous shot at how things ought to be,
Long fallen wide. You can see how it was:
Look at the pictures and the cutlery.
The music in the piano stool. That vase.
—Philip Larkin
Love is nothing, nothing, nothing like they say
—Liz Phair
For my family
"Have you seen it?" asked Samantha.

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,374,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible