Princess Smartypants by Babette Cole

Princess Smartypants

by Babette Cole

Genre: fantasy because non of this is real but it has real people in it.
Summary- this book is about a princess that doesn't want to get married but her parents want her to. so she says well a man has to win my hand in marriage and has these men do something task and if they didnt accomplish them then they lost and could not marry her. She went through this with several princes. Finally there was a prince that did all of it and thought he was going to get to marry her but then she kissed his cheek and he turned into a frog and he ran away and she stayed happily unmarried forever.
Reflection- The book was very entertaining. Im not quite sure if the message is good for children but it is fantasy and I think its very fun. teachers could use it for elementary schools students. ( )
  LUOLINLIN | Mar 5, 2018 |
This book is a good example of a fantasy because the princess has her magic kiss that can make a prince become a toad. The princess wants to live with her pets. She does not want a husband, but she is beautiful and rich which attracts many princes. She creates tasks for them and only one of them accomplishes all the tasks. Even though he wins tasks, the princess makes him a gigantic warty toad with a kiss. The book is funny and is suitable for children from k-4. ( )
  lolatong | Feb 16, 2018 |
A young relative is, apparently, into Disney princesses. They're not exactly what I would want for a role model for a young girl, so I decided to select a present that subverts the genre slightly. Princess Smartypants doesn't want to get married, thankyouverymuch, so when her mother makes her consider the Princes who flock to her door, she sets them each a task. And they fail quite miserably for the most part. In the end, Smartypants lives happily ever after, but to say more would enter spoiler territory. ( )
  Helenliz | Dec 4, 2017 |
The queen wants Princess Smartypants to stop playing with her pets and start looking for a husband. Princess Smartypants responds by giving all of the princes who come to woo her different very specific and very difficult tasks to complete in order to win her hand. Each prince predictably fails. But what will happen when a very charming prince comes along and can ace all of the tests? Will Princess Smartypants have to marry after all?

This is a fantastic book to offset all of those princess fairytales that end “happily ever after” only after a marriage. There’s nothing wrong in and of itself with that type of ending, but it tells children there is only one path to happiness, when in real life that is not true for everyone. Here instead we have a princess who dreams not of true love but of having a castle of her own in which she can take care of her pets and do what she pleases. Princess Smartypants’s care for her pets shows that she’s not unfeeling; she just just does not want to be tied down in a marriage. In addition, the many tests that she dreams up show that she is quite clever. In fact, the 6-year-old I was reading the story with said at the end, “Princess Smartypants is quite tricky. “

The only thing I really didn’t like about this book is that the illustrations are far more cartoonish and extravagantly silly than what I would like. Yes, the book is silly at times; the princes all have punny names and the tasks they are set to do are all more than a little absurd. But regardless, I still feel like the illustrations are just far too ridiculous for me to fully enjoy the book. That being said, the two children I read it with (both boys, incidentally) were absolutely captivated by this book and kept requesting to hear it over and over again rather than books they had only heard once or not at all yet. So clearly this book does resonate with little ones, which I am certainly glad to observe. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Nov 19, 2017 |
Genre- fantasy because non of this is real but it has real people in it.
Summary- this book is about a princess that doesnt want to get married but her parents want her to. so she says well a man has to win my hand in marriage and has these men do something task and if they didnt accomplish them then they lost and could not marry her. She went through this with several princes. Finally there was a prince that did all of it and thought he was going to get to marry her but then she kissed his cheek and he turned into a frog and he ran away and she stayed happily unmarried forever.
Reflection- The book was very entertaining. Im not quite sure if the message is good for children but it is fantasy and I think its very fun. I could use it in my classroom library.
Media- watercolor ( )
  alopez19 | Oct 17, 2017 |
This a great resource to go along with a lesson on fairy tales. Hold a discussion on how this is unlike a typical fairy tale.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Gladys adores this book, which I think is fabulous. It is a totally subversive feminist take on the pretty princess waiting for her prince to save her.

Not wishing to marry any of her royal suitors, Princess Smartypants devises difficult tasks at which they all fail, until the multitalented Prince Swashbuckle appears.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,821,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible