Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary

Ramona the Brave (1975)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: Ramona Quimby (3)

Ramona starts first grade in Room One with Mrs. Griggs, who isn't like Miss Binney at all. Ramona often feels misunderstood by her teacher, classmates, and family. When the family gets a new bedroom added onto the house and Ramona gets to use it first, she finds that she is afraid of the dark, but she refuses to relinquish the room to Beezus. She must be a different kind of brave to face down a strange German shepherd, who chases her and steals the shoe she throws at it. By the end of her adventures, Ramona is feeling a little better about first grade.

This book is a little more interior than the previous two; there's less interaction between Ramona and other people, and a lot of thinking and feeling.

Quotes

How could she stay out of mix-ups when she never knew what would suddenly turn into a mix-up? (101)

Grow up, Ramona [paraphrase]
"What do you think I'm doing?" ( )
  JennyArch | May 29, 2019 |
In Ramona the Brave, Ramona has changed from the horrid demon-child of "Beezus and Ramona," the first book, into a likable, sympathetic character. Ramona is in first grade, and longs to back in kindergarten, where things were more fun. She's getting her own bedroom, something that excites her, but when she's actually in it, she finds herself afraid of the dark and of being alone. Nice little tale with some good genuine laughs. ( )
  fingerpost | Nov 21, 2018 |
I chose this book because I did not feel like I had read much realistic fiction this semester. This novel is about Ramona Quimby and her family. Ramona is entering first grade and is very excited to be in the “older” class and not in kindergarten. Ramona struggles to adjust to her new classroom and begins acting out in different ways. Ramona also feels that her parents treat her sister, Beezus, with more love and respect that they do Ramona. As the novel continues, the Quimby parents begin to understand the mindset of their children a little better.
As a future educator, I appreciated reading this book. It gave me insight into the mind of a first grader. It helped me to understand why students make decisions that I, as a teacher, may think are not good decisions. However, it is still not okay for students to disobey rules and do whatever they feel like doing. Because Ramona makes poor choices and consistently defends her choices in this book, I am not sure I would share it with elementary students because I do not want them to be encouraged to make these kinds of choices. ( )
  mkstorey | Apr 10, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 6, 2017 |
Ramona is a little girl who is the baby of her family. She is often told she is too small, or too little to do things. In this novel, she proves to everyone she is not as small as they picture her out to be! ( )
  trw274 | Nov 8, 2016 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Channing, StockardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramona Quimby, brave and fearless, was half running, half skipping to keep up with her big sister Beatrice on their way home from from the park.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380709597, Paperback)

Teenagers think they've got it rough. Try being a misunderstood 6-year-old! Ramona Quimby is bound and determined to be brave as she weathers first grade, her mom's return to work, and sleeping in the spooky dark all alone. But nothing seems to go her way this year. From a fierce dog on the sidewalk to a copycat in her classroom, Ramona has her hands full.

Beverly Cleary has a real knack for the subtle emotional complexities of young children. Never condescending, she sees children as real people with real feelings. For this, and for her hilarious tales of an imaginative and "spunky gal," Cleary's countless fans adore her. Winner of many awards, including the Newbery Medal, Cleary has written over two dozen books for young people. Two titles in her beloved Ramona series, Ramona and Her Father and Ramona Quimby, Age 8, were named Newbery Honor Books. Alan Tiegreen's witty and lively line drawings have graced many of Cleary's books over the decades, capturing the exuberant spirit of one of literature's favorite heroines. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:41 -0400)

Six-year-old Ramona tries to cope with an unsympathetic first-grade teacher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,755,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible