Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table…

Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table (1998)

by Ruth Reichl

Recently added byghfend, amysan, flamencobird, Ygraine, mcountr, ralphmullenax, txorig, private library

Made me hungry. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book, although I felt like it petered out a bit at the end - I didn't really feel like the story ended when the book did. But maybe I just didn't want the book to end.

Either way, it was marvelous - a highly entertaining read, and a fast one if you don't feel the need to actually read the recipes she inserts into every chapter.
  MizPurplest | Feb 6, 2018 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Dec 19, 2016 |
Memoir of the author and growing up with a mother who had bouts of depression. Food and cooking was a major part of her life, from disastrous food parties her mother would throw, working at a Berkley Co op restaurant, to becoming a food critic. She thoroughly enjoyed that she was paid to critique food and she recounted many events in her life, from her mother nearly food poisoning everyone at a dinner party. Although her and her brother would steer those that they were concerned might die from the food away from the possible offending dish. She wrote of her time at Berkley living in a community apartment and putting together a whole Thanksgiving Dinner including the turkey that was pulled out of the grocery store trash dumpster. Our book club read this for our November book club selection and really enjoyed the story and felt we would like to read more of Ms Reichl's books. As an added bonus she included a few very tasty sounding recipes in her book. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
The first half to three-quarters of this book is jaw-droppingly fascinating and would definitely have merited five stars. For me, though, the last bit fizzled and sputtered its way to a close, and I sortof wish I'd skipped the last few chapters. However, if you liked Garlic and Sapphires, this is well worth a read.

For what it's worth, though, I didn't feel nearly as interested in the sporadic recipes as I did the ones in G&S. They seemed overly complicated, and I don't really remember a single one that I thought, hey, maybe I could actually make that. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
For Michael
This is a true story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767903382, Paperback)

New York Times restaurant critic Ruth Reichl reads her (only very slightly abridged) memoir with the same humor, care, and intimacy that she put into its writing. The voices of the chefs, waiters, and gourmands who taught her to love food and its preparation come to life in this audiobook. Particularly compelling is her wonderful tale of "Life on Mars"--boarding school in Montreal might well have been on another planet. We listen as her halting French becomes fluent, as she shares weekend forays for forbidden smoked meat and cream puffs (the cure for all homesickness) with her new friend, Beatrice, and as her encounter with Beatrice's father, Monsieur du Croix, introduces her to a new level of joy in food. Audiobook listeners are also treated to a handy booklet of recipes included with the tapes that represent a dish from each of the main characters we meet in Ruth's life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:38 -0400)

A restaurat critic of the "New York Times" offers a memoir--with recipes--of a life spent as a resturant owner, chef, and food critic, from California to New York City

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,489,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible