Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table…

Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table (1998)

by Ruth Reichl

2,087None3,152 (3.98)71
Already read (6) American (13) autobiography (54) Berkeley (7) biography (70) biography/memoir (12) book club (8) childhood (6) cookbook (10) cookery (18) cooking (121) essays (7) family (13) fiction (8) food (300) Food & Cooking (8) food and drink (7) food writing (65) foodie (7) humor (12) library (8) memoir (344) non-fiction (166) own (8) read (32) recipes (25) Ruth Reichl (12) to-read (31) unread (14) USA (6)
    Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love, and the Search for Home by Kim Sunee (sungene)
    sungene: A memoir of family lore, difficult mother, recipes, by the NYT food editor.

Ruth Reichl , a N.Y. Times food critic manages to intermingle her relationship with food throughout different phases of her life in this memoir. She definitely has many amusing stories to tell about her coming of age. I enjoyed her stories when food was in the room and she beautifully describes them and the eating experience.

But, she seems more muted when she deals with human beings. She has a chance to better understand her father but she realizes that only after a boyfriend (later her husband) learned more about him in a few hours during his first visit than she did in her twenty years. Her mother, who is bi-polar, makes for some strange and chaotic stories. However, so many of her mother's strange choices for her actually ended up working out quite well in Ruth’s life and she didn’t seem to give her credit for it. I don't think the author did enough soul-searching to make this a moving memoir.

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
I was surprised to like this book so much. Ruth was such a tremendous editor of Gourmet magazine. I cried when it ended. The crazy hippy life she lived as a young gal probably explains her views on life , cooking and food. Even the few recipes are good ( )
  kerrlm | Apr 4, 2014 |
Food is what helps us grow, in many ways. Ruth Reichl connected to preparing food early in her life, felt the comfort this can give, and made food and preparing food the center of her life. In this book, she fills the blanks between the meals with stories from her life. Some details are funny, while on the whole the atmosphere is not very cheerful. It was obviously not a happy childhood, but Reichl made the most of it, emerging an interesting, courageous and observant person, and a novelist. I have a feeling that she has reinvented and healed herself through her work. That reflects in her writing, she feels bold to laugh away the hurtful and unpleasant anecdotes, and make the most of that too - a book. ( )
  flydodofly | Mar 16, 2014 |
A very interesting way to meet Ruth Reichl. I'm ashamed to say that I really didn't know who she was or anything about her until this book was selected for our monthly book club read. I am definitely happy I read it and I think others will enjoy it too. ( )
  Quiltinfun06 | Mar 9, 2014 |
For Michael
This is a true story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767903382, Paperback)

New York Times restaurant critic Ruth Reichl reads her (only very slightly abridged) memoir with the same humor, care, and intimacy that she put into its writing. The voices of the chefs, waiters, and gourmands who taught her to love food and its preparation come to life in this audiobook. Particularly compelling is her wonderful tale of "Life on Mars"--boarding school in Montreal might well have been on another planet. We listen as her halting French becomes fluent, as she shares weekend forays for forbidden smoked meat and cream puffs (the cure for all homesickness) with her new friend, Beatrice, and as her encounter with Beatrice's father, Monsieur du Croix, introduces her to a new level of joy in food. Audiobook listeners are also treated to a handy booklet of recipes included with the tapes that represent a dish from each of the main characters we meet in Ruth's life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:29 -0400)

Author Ruth Reichl chronicles her coming-of-age by retelling the stories about her and her family that she heard while sitting at her mother's kitchen table when she was a child.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,429,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible