Burned by Ellen Hopkins

Burned (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Ellen Hopkins

Series: Burned (1)

Seventeen-year-old Pattyn, the eldest daughter in a large Mormon family, is sent to her aunt's Nevada ranch for the summer, where she temporarily escapes her alcoholic, abusive father and finds love and acceptance, only to lose everything when she returns home.
Member:Nicki14
Title:Burned
Authors:Ellen Hopkins
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2007), Paperback, 544 pages

Work Information

Burned by Ellen Hopkins (2006)

This review was originally posted on Once Upon a Chapter

I have so many issues with Burned by Ellen Hopkins. Mostly I just don't deal well with the harder aspects of life. I will do almost anything to avoid confrontation. I am a peace maker and people pleaser and therein lies my problem. Burned made me look at situation that aren't Cleaver squeaky clean.

Hopkins writes her novels in verse. Uncomfortable as I was with alcohol abuse and domestic violence, I had read more than 100 pages before I knew it. The pages fairly flew and I had to keep going. I had to know what the future held for Pattyn. Hopkins's writing is beautiful and that's what saved my rating for Burned.

I don't like being uncomfortable when I read. What really hampered my rating is that the ending left much to be desired. There was no solid answers. We don't know happens to Pattyn. My brain instantly tried to bleach out I'd read and I sent it out to the next reader in line. It took actual recovery time for me to figure out what exactly my biggest issue was.

HERE BE SPOILERS! (Pretty much the remainder of the review is spoilery about the ending)

At the end of Burned, I felt like the message was that survivors of abuse have a very bleak future. I know survivors and not all of their stories are happy. Some of them have healed. Some of them haven't. But they all have lives, they all have happiness, and I just felt that this very important piece of information was missing from Burned. I don't say this to minimalize the damage of abuse. I say it because hope is so important to abuse victims (some clarification: to me victims are people still in abusive situations; survivors have managed a very difficult thing and gotten help or gotten out) that I felt the giant gap without it. I just feel that if someone was in an abusive situation and read this book, they'd walk away with no hope for themselves. Thanfully, there is a sequel, Smoke. I'm just not sure when I'll be ready to pick it up. ( )
  stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
I thought this book was a tragic story. It would be horrible to be kicked out of your house and even worse that your family doesn't even care and having a feeling that there's no one to rely on. ( )
  Biyankuh | Aug 21, 2020 |
Burned is horrid, a realistic, unhappy mess. It's Mormons and LDS nailed so well when they're at their worst that it creeps and crawls into your mind in ways. If it wasn't for the sequel it would be four stars in ways, the sequel gives hope in the unknown outcome, but the hope of Stephen getting his end.

Burned is one of Hopkins' best, a brutal romance that ends recklessly and all because of religion and abuse, which are all consuming.

From being beaten over a clogged toilet to being hit for daring to say 'crap' and the mourning of both sons being dead when really one's perfectly alive -but gay, this book comes too close to reality. Not all Mormons are like this, but there are many. A vast vast many who are. Burned takes your hand into a religion where love and hate are the same thing and sparing the rod is never an option.

Neither Pattyn nor Ethan deserve their lot in life, but life's not fair. ( )
  Yolken | Jun 3, 2020 |
amazing! I love her books. I love how the pages are short but its to the point. Intense. She explains enough for you to know but not ask questions. ( )
  smooody106 | Apr 17, 2020 |
This was certainly a cautionary tale -- a cautionary tale against believing that true love only happens once -- in your teens no less; a cautionary tale about lying to the women in our lives and keeping them oppressed ... a cautionary tale against religion, especially a religion that oppresses women and treats them as possessions.

I was disappointed by a few points ... the ending being one because I wish it had continued!
I was disappointed that the teen believed in "true love" so strongly and what happened to her because of that ... but at the same time, that was the story and that was the point ...

As much as you want to believe it's just a work of fiction, you also know that for some poor teen out there, being oppressed by a religion that says she's nothing more than a baby making machine, to be owned by her future husband, this is reality.

Adrianne ( )
1 vote Adrianne_p | Mar 11, 2020 |
"This book is dedicated to my exceptional editor and support system, Julia Richardson. With special thanks to kathleen Jones, who found the courage to forge her own path, and without whose help this book would not have been as accurate a glimpse of a young woman struggling with her religion."
"When you were little, endure your parents' warnings, then wait for them to leave the room, pry loose protective covers and consider inserting some metal object into an electrical outlet?"

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,517,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible