The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Curse of Chalion (original 2001; edition 2004)

by Lois McMaster Bujold, Lloyd James (Narrator)

4,4851622,185 (4.25)1 / 570
A man broken in body and spirit, Cazaril has returned to the noble household he once served as page, and is named, to his great surprise, secretary-tutor to the beautiful, strong-willed sister of the impetuous boy who is next in line to rule. It is as assignment Cazaril dreads, for it must ultimately lead him to the place he most fears: the royal court of Cardegoss, where the powerful enemies who once placed him in chains now occupy lofty positions. but it is more than the traitorous intrigues of villains that threaten Cazaril and the Royesse Iselle here, for a sinister curse hangs like a sword over the entire blighted House of Chalion and all who stand in their circle. And only by employing the darkest, most forbidden of magics can Cazaril hope to protect his royal charge -- an act that will mark the loyal, damaged servant as a tool of the miraculous ... and trap him, flesh and soul, in a maze of demonic paradox, damnation, and death.… (more)
Member:dorktv
Title:The Curse of Chalion
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Other authors:Lloyd James (Narrator)
Info:Blackstone Audiobooks (2004), Audio Cassette

Work Information

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (2001)

The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold (Patangel)
    The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For protagonists who have been thrown to the deep end, politically speaking.
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For similar moods of utter desperation.
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (mysimas)
    The Shadow Queen by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    Commitment Hour by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Both books feature well-drawn, believable, and hopeful SFF religions.
    The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (writard)
    writard: If you like mythology-centric fantasy stories and strong heroines.
    The God Eaters by Jesse Hajicek (pfuchsman)
    pfuchsman: Fantastic writing, interesting characters with non-snarky humor, fascinating concepts about gods
    The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon (Athabasca)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (infiniteletters)
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books are fantasy novels featuring an older, male protagonist who is struggling with past injuries (both physical and mental) and yet overcomes these in order to serve his kingdom. There are strong themes of self-sacrifice in both books.

English (159)  Spanish (1)  All languages (160)
The book’s description does a good job of summarizing the plot. This book zooms in on the interpersonal relationships. Though it is set in a fantasy world, I still cannot describe what it looks like, even after reading all 500 pages. We do not know where it is set or when. It vaguely appears to be medieval times. There is a strange religion that is not well-defined. It is filled with the standard tropes of the genre. There are women who balk at marrying men they did not choose, or who are many years older. There are a few swordfights, romances, curses, various “gods.” Communications take a long time and cause many misunderstandings. None of this is set into any larger context. It is reasonably entertaining, but not enough for me to continue the series. There are many glowing reviews of this book, and I realize the author is well-loved, so I feel like I am missing something, but there is nothing that really appeals to me. I think regular readers of fantasy, will like it more than I did. ( )
1 vote Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
(See copy 2 & copy 3 for review.) ( )
  librisissimo | Sep 25, 2022 |
(See copy 1 & copy 2 for review.) ( )
  librisissimo | Sep 25, 2022 |
Some original concepts in here. ( )
  Zcorbain | Sep 5, 2022 |
Cazaril, presumed dead, has returned from being betrayed and sold as a galley slave. He's returned to a place of honor as the tudor and secretary for a young Royesse (Princess).

This story of palace intrigue and double-crossing is told from the Cazaril's POV.

Great world building in this book! There's a bit of magical religion that weaves the whole story together. ( )
  sriddell | Aug 6, 2022 |
Ultimately, I can’t recommend this book highly enough. It drags very slightly in the middle, but that’s almost unnoticeable -- and the only flaw I can pick out in this book. If you’re a fantasy fan, pick this one up. If you’re a Vorkosigan fan but have been reluctant to try a Bujold that’s not a Vorkosigan book, don’t be. Take the plunge and pick this one up. You won’t regret it. Bujold’s hit another home run.

I really enjoy the way religion is portrayed in this book; I like the way its effect on the details of daily life have been thought through, including what being a saint might actually be like, and I also find the religion itself quite appealing. The problem, if you consider it a problem, is that theology ends up tying the plot into a very neat circle—too neat from some people, and I confess it bothered me somewhat as well, though I can see how it follows from the world's internal logic. If you're the kind of person that this sort of thing really bothers, don't read Chalion. Otherwise, I strongly recommend it.
added by tcgardner | editSteelypips, Kate Nepveu (Apr 18, 2002)

Bujold, Lois McMasterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bowers, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cazaril heard the mounted horsemen on the road before he saw them.
Originally published by Eos, (c2001), ISBN: 0380979012

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,219,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible