The Liars' Club (1995)

by Mary Karr

The author, a poet, recounts her difficult childhood growing up in a Texas oil town.

English (71)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (75)
I might have liked this better if I hadn't read "The Glass Castle" - just seemed too much the same although I know they are both real stories of young girls growing up in unusual circumstances. Mary Karr's mother was not suited for motherhood or the environment of eastern Texas. The writing was fine, I just couldn't particularly get into it. Did not finish (Not sure why I had this on my "later" list to read) ( )
  maryreinert | Nov 22, 2021 |
Un espectáculo de luces en el cerebro para poder vivir perfectamente con las mentiras. O algo así, dice la autora al final de esta biografía o, mejor, historia familiar divertida, dura, a veces sórdida. Pero en fin, como la vida misma. A veces creemos que estas vidas solo son posibles en remotos pueblos de la más remota Norteamérica profunda, pero estoy segura de que contadas tan bien como lo hace esta autora, se convierten en auténticas buenas novelas.
  Orellana_Souto | Jul 27, 2021 |
I heard great things about this book, but it just didn't do it for me. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
I'm not sure why I picked up this 1995 memoir at a Friends of the Library book sale some years back. Maybe it was the award sticker on the cover. The Liars' Club has been sitting on my TBR shelf for a long time, read only because I'm trying to clear that shelf off. It's yet another dysfunctional family memoir, too wordy (320 pages) and boring. I only read as much as I did (the first part, "Texas, 1961," 171 pages, and the third and last part, "Texas Again, 1980," 45 pages) because I also grew up in southeast Texas in the same era, albeit Houston and not "Leechfield," an oil refinery town near Port Arthur which is really Groves, where author Mary Karr was born in 1955 and lived much of her childhood. Not enough references to anything I remember, though, as well as not interesting and not funny. Not recommended. ( )
  riofriotex | Oct 10, 2020 |
Did not finish.

I was 75 pages into this awful thing, and I have no clue why it was so highly praised. The author grew up poor, with difficult parents. I grew up poor with difficult parents, as did most of the kids I knew. It's really not that unusual. Or interesting. I believe that people who want to write a memoir should ask themselves the following questions:

a.) Am I wildly famous, whereby I have reason to suspect that people will want to read about every single thing I ever did, and every thought I ever had?

b.) If I am I NOT wildly famous, have I accomplished something amazing; or did something really unusual, incredible or miraculous happen to me?

c.) If neither a or b above applies to me, am I able to write about my mundane life in a hilarious, relatable way?

Then, if the author is unable to answer YES to any of these questions, it should be against the law for them to write a memoir.

To be fair, I guess it is possible that b.) was true of Mary Karr, but she bored me to death for 75 pages so I will never find out.
2 vote AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Has as a reference guide/companion

My sharpest memory is of a single instant surrounded by dark.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,522,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible