The Mayor of Casterbridge (Enriched Classics…

The Mayor of Casterbridge (Enriched Classics (Pocket)) (original 1886; edition 2008)

by Thomas Hardy

Member:supersam
Title:The Mayor of Casterbridge (Enriched Classics (Pocket))
Authors:Thomas Hardy
Info:Simon & Schuster (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:**
Tags:historicaly timeless

The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (1886)

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both stories of men who commit public crimes ... and yet the outcomes are very different.
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (kxlly)
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (chrisharpe, kxlly)
    Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy (John_Vaughan)

English (79)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (81)
I am really enjoying the work of Thomas Hardy. He paints such vivid pictures of rural life at this time. I find these stories page turners but not always uplifting. A touch of realism, I suppose. ( )
  HelenBaker | Mar 27, 2016 |
Required reading in a literature class and I relaly did like it. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Couldn't get into it.
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |
Wow! is my **********(ten star) rating of this masterpiece! Thomas Hardy paints a portrait of words with nearly every sentence he writes, transposing the reader into the scene, all so effortlessly. This is the type of writing that turned me into such a voracious reader. One of my all-time favorites. ( )
  DVDWalsh | Jan 18, 2016 |
I don’t entirely know how I got to my age without having read Thomas Hardy before. Quite probably it was because when I was about 14 years old, and we had a newfangled gadget called a Betamax Video Recorder, my Dad bought home Tess of the D’Urbervilles for us to watch - I found it unbearably dull and therefore assumed that Hardy’s novels would be too! I was quite wrong, because from the opening scenes I loved this and was totally engaged.

Under the influence of alcohol, and following a row, Henchard sells his wife at a country fair to a bidding sailor and the wife, Susan and their daughter leave with him. On waking the next day Henchard regrets his actions but is too late to take her back. He resolves not to drink again for the number of years he has been alive – 21 - and heads for the nearest town, Casterbridge, determined to make amends and to try to become a better person.

The story then jumps ahead 20 years and Henchard is now a successful hay merchant and the town’s mayor. He befriends a Scotsman who is passing through on his way to America and persuades him to stay on and work for him. But Henchard’s past soon catches up with him when his wife and daughter return, seeking him after the sailor’s death and the world that Henchard has built up starts crashing down.

I would definitely like to try some more Hardy – although I’m still not sure about Tess! ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |

Thomas Hardyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allen, WalterAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One evening of late summer, before the nineteenth century had reached one-third of its span, a young man and woman, the latter carrying a child, were approaching the large village of Weydon-Priors, in Upper Wessex, on foot.

The Mayor of Casterbridge opens with an act of such heartlessness and cruelty that it still shocks today. Michael Henchard, an out-of-work hay-trusser, gets drunk at a fair and for five guineas sells his wife and child to a sailor. When the horror of his act finally sets in, Henchard swears he will not touch alcohol for twenty-one years. Through hard work and acumen, he becomes rich, respected, and eventually the mayor of Casterbridge. But eighteen years after his fateful oath, his wife and daughter, Elizabeth-Jane, return to Casterbridge, and his fortunes steadily decline.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

On a drunken impulse, Michael Henchard, a hay-trusser by trade, sells his wife Susan and their child to a sailor. Years later, Susan returns to Casterbridge a widow, to seek her legal husband who is, surprisingly, now the Mayor.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439785, 0141045175, 0141199598

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,481,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible