Wideacre

Wideacre (1987)

Series: Wideacre Trilogy (1)

2,020476,313 (3.29)47
From #1New York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory comes the stunning first novel of a thrilling trilogy about the Lacey family, and the captivating woman at the heart of a power-hungry estate willing to go to any means to protect her family name. Beatrice Lacey, as strong-minded as she is beautiful, refuses to conform to the social customs of her time. Destined to lose her heritage and beloved Wideacre estate once she is wed, Beatrice will use any means necessary to protect her ancestral name. Seduction, betrayal, even murder--Beatrice's passion is without apology or conscience. "She is a Lacey of Wideacre," her father warns, "and whatever she does, however she behaves, will always be fitting." Yet even as Beatrice's scheming seems about to yield her dream, she is haunted by the one living person who knows the extent of her plans...and her capacity for evil. Sumptuously set in Georgian England from the "queen of royal fiction" (USA TODAY), Wideacre is intensely gripping, rich in texture, and full of color and authenticity. It is a saga as irresistible in its singular magic as its heroine.… (more)
Member:jeskyaa
Title:Wideacre
Authors:
Info:Harper

Work Information

Wideacre by Philippa Gregory (1987)

Spoilers.

The quality of writing is great - several notches above her Tudor and Cousins' serieses.

But... surprise! On page 54 we find out Beatrice's brother is a gay sexual masochist who enjoys being beaten. ( )
  Desiree_Reads | Nov 6, 2021 |
I'm gonna file this one under "wtf did I just read?!" Good writing cannot save this weird, weird book ( )
  RivkaC | Aug 28, 2020 |
I did not finish this one. The book started out slow, I really did not like the main character and then was really turned off by the incest. This was a book club read for my group but the other members put it down as well. The incest was just such a turn off for all of our group. ( )
  Thelmajean | Jun 25, 2018 |
I tried to read this book several times, hated it & never finished it. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
a book I could not put down. This journey of a young girl in the 15th century who had no rights fought for her freedom and to gain the land that she was entitled too. I loved this book from the first page to the last. ( )
  tmream | Oct 21, 2016 |
Wideacre Hall faces due south and the sun shines all day on the yellow sun until it is warm and powdery to the touch.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,256,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible