George Washington's Teeth by Deborah Chandra

George Washington's Teeth (edition 2007)

by Deborah Chandra (Author), Madeleine Comora (Author), Brock Cole (Illustrator)

A rollicking rhyme portrays George Washington's lifelong struggle with bad teeth. A timeline taken from diary entries and other nonfiction sources follows.
Member:PartridgeLibrary
Title:George Washington's Teeth
Authors:Deborah Chandra (Author)
Other authors:Madeleine Comora (Author), Brock Cole (Illustrator)
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Illustrated, 40 pages
Tags:children 1-2, #32227

George Washington's Teeth by Deborah Chandra

A story written in humorous rhyme that told a story of the United States' first president and his woes with his teeth. The book follows Washington's career from Revolutionary War to President of the United States of America. He apparently had a bad set of teeth that he lost all of. The story concludes with him and his dentist fashioning a set of dentures made from hippopotamus ivory. The end of the book has a timeline of Washington's life and picture that shows evidence of his dental problems and a picture of his last set of dentures. A fun read about a surprisingly true problem Washington had. ( )
  xavierjr | Nov 4, 2019 |
I LOVED THIS! The book rhymes, which is really so fun for kids because it gives it a kind of tune or melody. I loved that the book counted down as he lost teeth, kind of dramatizing the situation even more (if at all possible). It was organized so well and even included a timeline at the back of the book for more information! ( )
  mavaugh2 | Oct 17, 2019 |
This book is so cute! It follows the revolutionary war and what was happening with George Washington’s teeth during each event until he dnds up losing all of his teeth! I would read this to older elementary students when we are talking about American history so they get a silly version of the events before we dive deeper into them
  berkeleychris | Sep 16, 2019 |
Reading Level: Intermediate[return]Genre: Biography[return]Summary: This book focuses on George Washington and the struggles he had with his teeth. Throughout the war and the different battles he lost several teeth, and this book counts each tooth and how it was lost. Readers learn about Washington and how the war affected him personally and physically. It is important and interesting for students to learn more in depth about the leaders of our country as well as the American Revolution. This book also solves the mystery and myth that so many people are told about Washington and his wooden teeth.
  kristi_test_01 | Sep 12, 2019 |
This was an interesting book. I knew George Washington has wooden teeth but I had no idea he had such bad teeth from an early age. I didn’t know either that he multiple sets of fake teeth over the years and they were all quite painful for him to wear. Some even pulled out good teeth left in his mouth. Horrible. He suffered from dental abscesses all his life also. I read this book together with my son and we were both astonished to learn something new about our first president. My son had to do a biobottle project on George Washington, he made him out of paper maiche and a two liter bottle. It was pretty cool. We used this book as a reference when we made his teeth together. ( )
  jvines | Apr 27, 2019 |

Deborah Chandraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Comora, Madeleinemain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Sam and Nathan and Sharie
with love
D.C.
For my father, Emanuel M. Comora, D.M.D., who gave me the idea
M.C.
For Donald F. Cole, D.D.S.
B.C.
The Revolutionary War
George hoped would soon be won,
But another battle with his teeth
Had only just begun...

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,499,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible