Actual Size by Steve Jenkins

Actual Size (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Steve Jenkins (Author)

Discusses and gives examples of the size and weight of various animals and parts of animals.
Member:Chibbaro
Title:Actual Size
Authors:Steve Jenkins (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2011), Edition: Reprint, 28 pages

Work Information

Actual Size by Steve Jenkins (2009)

This is an informational non- fiction, that shows students the actual size of different animals and insects. With the pictures there are also facts about the living things through out the book. I would use this book as a read aloud in my math classroom to show students the actual sizes of the animals. It teaches them about measurement and scale. I could use this to teach them about proportions as well, by having them measure them and measure other pictures in other books. I believe that can I use this in upper level grades, not only K- 5th. Middle school students would love the pictures! They are able to interact with the book because it has pages that open up to extend the page in order to show the actual size of an animal. This book can also be related to Science which makes it awesome to use. ( )
  Stephh1323 | Oct 27, 2021 |
Steve Jenkins invites the reader into the world of animals where he provides simplistic yet intriguing illustrations that show in part or whole true representations of the animals and their actual size. This gives the readers the opportunity to see how they compare to the creatures both small and large. The book provides in text and illustration the actual sizes of each of the animals along with some extra facts: weight, length, and what the animal eats. Through these pages, you can see how big the great white shark teeth are, compare the hand of a gorilla with your own, and see the giant squid’s enormous eye, to name just a few.
  Verity2 | Jul 30, 2021 |
This is a really cool book! It shows the actual size of each of the creatures it talks about. For example theres a page that pulls out for readers to see how long a crocodiles mouth and head is. I like that students get to physically see how big the different animals are because there aren't many opportunities in real life for students to experience that. I think this book would be great to use with Kindergarteners because they would be fascinated by how big and small certain animals are. I would pair this book with an activity where we measure kids and compare them to certain animal sizes. ( )
  Josie-may | Oct 13, 2020 |
This story has illustrations in reference to real animals around the world drawn to scale. It is a fun book that references things students have seen before or can relate to. It touches on the concepts of units of measurement, comparing and ordering, and scale. I love that all of the illustrations are drawn to actual size, I think students would love that and it puts size and measurement into perspective for them. ( )
  BobbieHenriques | Apr 26, 2020 |
This is a cool book that could have multiple functions. It is filled with pictures to put the sizes of different things into perspective. It could be used in a science or math class, by either using it to go over different creatures or by making comparisons numerically. It was overall a pretty cool read. ( )
  kodonnell | Apr 5, 2020 |
Did you ever look a giant squid in the eye?

This is a great book to engage younger readers in nonfiction. One of my issues with many nonfiction books, especially books about animals, is that things are rarely drawn to scale. This book addresses that issue! Body parts are drawn to scale and compared page by page. This is a great book for the science shelf in the classroom. A great project would be for students to draw out their own favorite animal parts on paper to compare along a hallway or classroom wall. One of the kindergarten classrooms near my office has the kids draw life-size penguins of various species to post on the wall, and using measuring tapes they mark out the length of small whales on the hallway floor. This book could fit in a class lesson like that easily.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,219,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible