The Revolt of the Cockroach People (Vintage)…

The Revolt of the Cockroach People (Vintage) (edition 1989)

by Oscar Zeta Acosta

Member:oblivionseeker
Title:The Revolt of the Cockroach People (Vintage)
Authors:Oscar Zeta Acosta
Info:Vintage (1989), Edition: Reprint, Paperback

The Revolt of the Cockroach People by Oscar Zeta Acosta

I really enjoyed this book! One of those rare times when the "sequel" is better! This book is all about Buffalo's time/work with the Chicano Liberation movement, mostly as a lawyer, but also as an active member. His writing really brings alive the struggle, and at times I wanted to jump into the pages and join them! I often wondered if the people who made the movie "My Cousin Vinny" based some of the lawyer character off of the Buffalo! I'm really glad that I read this, and I hope to learn more about Oscar Zeta Acosta! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Sep 26, 2018 |
My first read of 2007...great period piece covering the Brown Power Movement of the late 60s / early 70s. ( )
  burningdervish | Nov 29, 2016 |
Well, it was blurbed as by Hunter Thompson's lawyer. The tale is surreal, as the effects of taking part in the Chicano social movement quickly demonstrate the depth of the suppression of the people become apparent. It's not a fun read, but pushes the limits in its honesty about the difficulties of fighting the American Racialist system. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Apr 9, 2014 |
www.barnesandnoble.com
From the Publisher
The further adventures of "Dr. Gonzo" as he defends the "cucarachas" — the Chicanos of East Los Angeles.

goneal | Jul 17, 2007 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:42 -0400)

The further adventures of "Dr. Gonzo" as he defends the "cucarachas" -- the Chicanos of East Los Angeles. Before his mysterious disappearance and probable death in 1971, Oscar Zeta Acosta was famous as a Robin Hood Chicano lawyer and notorious as the real-life model for Hunter S. Thompson's "Dr. Gonzo" a fat, pugnacious attorney with a gargantuan appetite for food, drugs, and life on the edge. In this exhilarating sequel to The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo, Acosta takes us behind the front lines of the militant Chicano movement of the late sixties and early seventies, a movement he served both in the courtroom and on the barricades. Here are the brazen games of "chicken" Acosta played against the Anglo legal establishment; battles fought with bombs as well as writs; and a reluctant hero who faces danger not only from the police but from the vatos locos he champions. What emerges is at once an important political document of a genuine popular uprising and a revealing, hilarious, and moving personal saga.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,424,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible