Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi

Agent to the Stars (original 2005; edition 2019)

by John Scalzi (Author)

1,520879,988 (3.82)119
The space-faring Yherajk have come to Earth to meet us and to begin humanity's first interstellar friendship. There's just one problem: they're hideously ugly and they smell like rotting fish. So getting humanity's trust is a challenge. The Yherajk need someone to help them close the deal. Enter Thomas Stein, who knows something about closing deals. He's one of Hollywood's hottest young agents. But although Stein may have just concluded the biggest deal of his career, it's quite another thing to negotiate for an entire alien race. To earn his percentage this time, he's going to need all the smarts, skills, and wits he can muster. "With a plot that starts out as the rough life of a young agent in Hollywood and rapidly metamorphoses into B-movie territory as a remarkably intelligent first-contact yarn, this book is absurd, funny, and satirically perceptive." --Booklist… (more)
Member:ViragoReads
Title:Agent to the Stars
Authors:John Scalzi (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2019), Edition: 2, 368 pages
Collections:Read in 2022, Read, Books I Own, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:books-i-own, scifi, humor

Work Information

Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi (2005)

Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi (andreas.wpv)
    andreas.wpv: Different story, similar feeling. Encounter with other wordly beings, in an entertaining, at times funny story.
    The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0 by Christopher Moore (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Stupidest Angel is a Christmas book and further on the spectrum of craziness, but the two have similar types of humor. The movie star in Agent to the Stars also reminds me a bit of Molly Michon from Stupidest Angel.
    Calculating God by Robert J. Sawyer (ShelfMonkey)
    ShelfMonkey: Both are about first contact situations.
    Quozl by Alan Dean Foster (infiniteletters)
    The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer (infiniteletters)

English (84)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  All languages (86)
4.5 stars.

Once again, John Scalzi knocks it out of the park! This books was so insanely funny and bizarre.

An alien race, having first heard radio broadcasts, and then watched television and movies from earth, decide they want to reach out and extend the hand of friendship to its people. To do so they procure the help of a talent agent to help reveal their presence to the world.

This was one big, fun, and insane shenanigan. I love Scalzi's writing. His imagination is limitless and he is well on his way to becoming my favorite writer...or at the ver least, my favorite scifi author.

I read the book while listening to the audio. Wil Wheaton was the narrator. Need I say more? He is one of the best narrators and I will listen to just about anything he does. I think he and Scalzi are a match made in heaven.

This was a fun read/listen. ( )
  ViragoReads | Sep 22, 2022 |

This was a fun read/listen. ( )
  ViragoReads | Sep 22, 2022 |
3 1/2 stars

This is a fun book. I did have a little qualm at the end of the story, but it worked itself out in the end. John Scalzi's wit shines throughout and makes this book a fun read. ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
It's an interesting premise and the first half was really enjoyable. By the second half it took an odd turn and became more serious. That doesn't mean it was bad, just not quite fitting with the tone you'd expect for a book based on an alien wanting to be a movie star. ( )
  jlford3 | Apr 19, 2022 |
Hard to believe this was his first novel (which he says he wrote, "Just to see if I could"). Yes, clearly you can. :-) This had everything I like in a novel: a good hook; smart, snarky characters; and some depth to the story. Although I'm not generally a fan of science fiction novels, I've become a fan of those that John Scalzi writes. ( )
  tsmom1219 | Feb 24, 2022 |

Scalzi, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blanchet, PascalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drechsler, ArndtCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gallo, IreneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krahulik, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book was originally dedicated to Natasha Kordus and Stephen Bennett, friends of old, and still is.

It's also now dedicated to Bill Schafer, friend and original publisher of this novel.

And to Irene Gallo, who (with help from John Harris, Shelley Eshkar, Donato Giancola, and Pascal Blanchet) has made all my books at Tor look so good.
"Fourteen million and fifteen percent of the gross? For Michelle Beck? You're out of your fucking mind, Tom."

Headsets are a godsend; they allow you to speak on the phone while leaving your hands free for the truly important things. My hands were currently occupied with a blue rubber racquetball, which I was lightly bouncing off the pane of my office window.
On the whole, people took it rather well. The only place that rioted was North Korea.
It was only afterwards, after all, that people realized she wasn't human.
. . . some academy members petitioned to have Michelle disqualified as the Best Actress winner. Their rationale was that not only was she not really human, there was no way to determine that she was, in fact, female.

The academy voted down the proposal in the interests of interspecies peace.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,780,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible