Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by…

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success (edition 2007)

by Carol S. Dweck (Author)

Member:shakazul
Title:Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
Authors:Carol S. Dweck (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2007), Edition: Rep Upd, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Beide auteurs benadrukken dat je talent moet ontwikkelen om succesvol te worden. Ze ondergraven allebei de mythe dat alleen geniale mensen de top kunnen bereiken. Carol Dweck werkt het hoe en waarom van deze "growth mindset" uit, Malcolm Gladwell nuanceert tegelijk de invloed van deze individuele inspanningen door "toeval" in het verhaal te brengen: hoe omstandigheden en toevallige kansen van invloed zijn op uiteindelijk succes.… (more)
    How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Tough goes broad on a range of non-cognitive factors that influence the likelihood that students will be successful (grit, perseverance, curiosity, etc.); Dweck goes deep on one factor (having a growth mindset rather than a fixed mindset). Both are highly readable (though FWIW, I found Dweck repetitive and preferred Tough's book).… (more)
    Why Don't Students Like School: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom by Daniel T. Willingham (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Very readable book on cognitive science as it applies to teaching and learning. One chapter features the growth mindset, and the others are fabulous as well.
    The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg (stephenkoplin)
    Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina (montano)
    Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well by Douglas Stone (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Stone gaat voort op de growth-mindset van Dweck door in te gaan op het groeipotentieel van feedback voor de ontvanger. Hij benoemt de klassieke frustraties en vooroordelen op feedback en belicht een hoop strategieën om feedback in je eigen voordeel te benutten.… (more)

English (36)  Dutch (1)  All (37)
Our ability to learn is one of our greatest assets and this book is one of those books that helps teach that. As individuals, people have to learn to grow in order to achieve the things they desire. I am a personal believer that many who do not live up to their potential are thought to be lazy, dumb, or stupid however I disagree and that changing mindsets although difficult is possible. I have studied a lot about cognitive therapy and there are some real benefits to it, but one must realize that in books like this and Change your Brain, Change your Life that it is not instantaneous at that change takes time and effort. I really enjoyed this book, likely wouldn’t read it again or put it on my bookshelf as have already dedicated my life to continual personal and professional development. ( )
  Tom_Westlake | Jul 20, 2017 |
Good book.

Essence: two mindsets: fixed and growth.

Fixed is: you are smart, gifted, athletic. Nothing you can do to change that. Makes it hard to cope with failure because you don't feel that you're in control of your own fate.

Growth mindset is that you know that you may have talent, but results are largely effected by skill honed through work.

In reinforcing children and people, compliment work and effort rather than innate talent. ( )
1 vote shakazul | Jul 3, 2017 |
Great framework, but a really dry read. ( )
  kate_r_s | Feb 12, 2017 |
read this for work...the message was fine; i just didn't need to read an entire book to absorb it. ( )
  pixiegenne | Nov 11, 2016 |
Some interesting points - which I am looking forward to putting into practice! - but a bit redundant in terms of examples.
Audio version NOT recommended. ( )
1 vote Debra_Armbruster | Apr 28, 2016 |
One day, my students sat me down and ordered me to write this book.

World-renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol Dweck, in decades of research on achievement and success, has discovered a truly groundbreaking idea–the power of our mindset.

Dweck explains why it’s not just our abilities and talent that bring us success–but whether we approach them with a fixed or growth mindset. She makes clear why praising intelligence and ability doesn’t foster self-esteem and lead to accomplishment, but may actually jeopardize success. With the right mindset, we can motivate our kids and help them to raise their grades, as well as reach our own goals–personal and professional. Dweck reveals what all great parents, teachers, CEOs, and athletes already know: how a simple idea about the brain can create a love of learning and a resilience that is the basis of great accomplishment in every area.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:44 -0400)

Reveals how established attitudes affect all aspects of one's life, explains the differences between fixed and growth mindsets, and stresses the need to be open to change in order to achieve fulfillment and success.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,968,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible