dismiss

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich…

All Quiet on the Western Front (original 1929; edition 1987)

by Erich Maria Remarque

14,716325263 (4.09)1 / 997
The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.
Member:Thogek
Title:All Quiet on the Western Front
Authors:Erich Maria Remarque
Info:Ballantine Books (1987), Edition: 1rst Ballantine book Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (1929)

The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    Generals Die in Bed by Charles Yale Harrison (charlie68)
    charlie68: Also gritty front line portraying of the Great War.
    The Donkeys by Alan Clark (charlie68)
    The Wars by Timothy Findley (Cecrow)
    The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman (charlie68)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    The Yellow Birds: A Novel by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    Border Crossings by Aubrey Verboven (Aubrey_Verboven)

1920s (10)
Elevenses (194)
Europe (52)

English (290)  French (6)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Yiddish (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (323)
A Book About War*

If there is a more disheartening book about the First World War, I don't want to read it.

All Quiet on the Western Front is is a brutal book; there is nothing redeeming in it. Which is appropriate for an anti-war book. Through the narration of a German soldier, we see the horror of the war, its pointlessness. Remarque makes very few direct statements against the war; instead, he lets their hardships and deaths speak to us. And they speak powerfully.

* - I've had to set my themed reading list aside for now, as I'm taking a couple literature classes this summer through a state program that provides free tuition for Texas residents over 55. This novel is assigned for my War and Literature class that's focused on the First World War. ( )
  skavlanj | Jun 30, 2020 |
Will man den Wehrdienst verweigern und Zivildienst ableisten, dann sollte man in der Gewissensprüfung darlegen können, warum man sich denn keinen Dienst an der Waffe vorstellen kann. Und mehr als einmal dürfte dann als Begründung die Lektüre von Erich Maria Remarques Im Westen nicht Neues folgen. Dieser Roman schildert aufs Eindringlichste die schauerlichen Erlebnisse des Soldaten Paul Bäumer an der Westfront des Ersten Weltkrieges, wo sich Deutsche und Alliierte in einem grausamen Grabenkrieg gegenüberstanden. Aber eigentlich sind Schauplatz und Zeit bedeutungslos, beherrschend ist das sinnlose Töten und die zu reinem Menschenmaterial degradierten Soldaten, die schon lange den Glauben an den "gerechten Krieg" aufgegeben haben. Hier ist kein Platz für klischeehaft mutige Helden, Verlierer sind sie letztlich alle, die da im Schlamm der Schützengräben liegen. So mancher Leser wird nach diesem Roman seine Meinung zu Krieg und Militärdienst geändert haben. Wer heute noch glaubt, Krieg könne eine heldenhafte Sache sein, der kennt das Buch wahrscheinlich nicht und sollte einmal einen Blick hinein werfen. Danach ist er entweder eines besseren belehrt oder scheinbar schon völlig abgestumpft. --Joachim Hohwieler
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
It’s a very good insight of WW1. ( )
  Linde1 | Apr 30, 2020 |
Re-reading All Quiet on the Western Front carries just as much impact as in the first reading of it.
Avid readers will read few books that will remain with them, influence their thinking and stir their emotions from the second they turn the last page until the moment their lives end. All Quiet on the Western front is one such book. No one can read it, be unaffected by it and fail to recall reading it years after they have finished it.
It is difficult to pin down which specific elements of it make it so memorable, but there is one attribute worth noting. All Quiet on the Western Front describes every aspect of going to war, from the first enthusiasm for it felt by the foolish young sand the old men who will not have to go fight, to the actual day-to-day experience of the terror on the battlefront, to the stench of death and dying, to the horror of the hospitals with their amputations and understaffing and even including the impact on the survivors whose wil never be the same again.
I first read “All Quiet” when I was in college and the war in Vietnam was heating up. Reading it moved me to participate in the protests, write countless letters to my unsympathetic Congressman and to actively question America engaging in any war since that time. The war in Vietnam and WW I had one horrible thing in common: no one knew then, and no historian since then, ever understood why we fought or what we hoped to achieve. Both wars were horrific stupidities for which then as now there is no reasonable explanation.
Such monumental stupidities ought to stand as lessons in and of themselves that we have no reason to ever engage in armed conflict. The lesson is wasted. Books like All Quiet on the Western Front are the necessary artifacts of these crimes against humanity and serve as potent warnings against waging war again. But, of course, the lessons of the book and the lessons of the actual experience of war go on being ignored as politicians find a new and better lies for spilling the blood of the nation’s young again and again. ( )
  Paul-the-well-read | Apr 18, 2020 |
Damn Remarque! He builds a beautiful and whole account of Paul's experience during the Great War, covering all facets of the soldier's experience without giving the reader too much. It feels hard to judge a classic, of course it's got to be good on some level it's been around this long right?, but I did enjoy the instances in the company that showed how much of the boys' youth had been taken away and as all the men drop like dominos at the end the title comes back around in a truly effective gut-punch. There's certainly an aspect of choppiness to the narrative, one could skip chapters without losing too much and come back to them, but it demonstrates the author's ability to capture these concentrated instances in the war and mimics narrator's own blurred chronology. ( )
  b.masonjudy | Apr 3, 2020 |

Lawrence, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murdoch, BrianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westphalen, TilmanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheen, A.W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,599,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible