A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb

A Certain Slant of Light (2005)

by Laura Whitcomb

Series: A Certain Slant of Light (1)

English (103)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (108)
I really wanted to LOVE this book. I liked the premise and the happy hint of a timeless romance. But the purple prose was too much, and the characters' actions and decisions were unreal. The dialog was just strange. I can imagine that dialog like this does happen in real life, but on paper it was too jarring. I spent most of the middle of the book not knowing what the hell was going on. The ending did redeem the book, however, as I found myself grabbing for a tissue. The emotion was there; in the end I really did care about the two star-crossed lovers. ( )
  aquaorbis | Nov 1, 2017 |
A little sappy for my taste, but not a bad read. ( )
  LenaR0307 | Sep 3, 2017 |
A surprisingly beautiful novel. Instead of your average gal meets supernatural boy story, the main characters are ancient and young at once. Their story is complicated, gritty with a raw kind of beauty instead. The writing wraps you into the world of ghosts unlike any other novel I have read. A paranormal romance for adults as well as youth! ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
Gorgeous.  Perfect YA 'romance beyond the grave' but also rich and complex enough for adult fans of speculative fiction and relationship stories.  Plenty to think about, to discuss, to enjoy upon a reread.  If the blurb catches your eye, I do recommend it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
What an interesting premise!! The more I read, the more I loved it. It is a wonderful young adult book, but more toward the "adult" than the "young". ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |

Laura Whitcombprimary authorall editionscalculated
Molina, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smallwood, SheilaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thiele, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vojnar, KamilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, who was both Quick and Light-- my first protector, my model of clarity and forgiveness.
Someone was looking at me, a disturbing sensation if you're dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 061858532X, Paperback)

In the class of the high school English teacher she has been haunting, Helen feels them: for the first time in 130 years, human eyes are looking at her. They belong to a boy, a boy who has not seemed remarkable until now. And Helen—terrified, but intrigued—is drawn to him. The fact that he is in a body and she is not presents this unlikely couple with their first challenge. But as the lovers struggle to find a way to be together, they begin to discover the secrets of their former lives and of the young people they come to possess.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:52 -0400)

After benignly haunting a series of people for 130 years, Helen meets a teenage boy who can see her and together they unlock the mysteries of their pasts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,762,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible