Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman

Little Red Riding Hood

by Trina Schart Hyman

Other authors: Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm

71612013,154 (4.03)8
Recently added byFairyland, ppappalardo, DebbieBaker27, rachelpelston, private library, GATEACADEMY

I think this book is a little grown up for students under 3rd grade; even though this book is marketed to younger children, I wouldn't use it in a classroom with small children. this book gives the great oppurtunity to teach stduents to verbalize their characters adn to think way outside the box. ( )
  rachelpelston | Apr 29, 2016 |
I enjoyed this rendition for two reasons. First, I enjoyed the illustrations. Each illustration is beautiful and very detailed. The illustration style seems very appropriate for this traditional text. For example, each page has a detailed picture on one side and then the text with a detailed border and extra illustration on the other side. These extra illustrations provide more insight into the character’s thoughts and actions. On one of the pages, the extra illustration depicts a cat looking wearily at “grandma.” This foreshadows the next scene for readers and provides comic relief during an intense scene.
Another reason I enjoyed this book was due to the descriptive language used throughout the book. For example, “So the wolf lifted the latch and opened the door. He ran straight for the bed, and without saying good morning, he ate up the poor old grandmother in one gulp.” The words used in this sentence fully portrays the wolf’s urgency. The main idea of this book is to keep your promises and to be well mannered. ( )
  CathiRussell | Apr 25, 2016 |
This is a good book for an interactive read aloud and is likely to keep the students attention because it is a story that will be familiar to a lot of them. Since this has been incorporated in many different short stories books or movies, the kids can participate during the read aloud. They can do this by saying lines with the teacher like, "my what big eyes/ears/mouth, you have." This will keep them focused and paying attention. After the reading an activity can be done where on a large piece of paper they can create a picnic basket and fill it with whatever food they would chose to bring with them. One everyone is finished with their individual work the class can come together as a whole and have a writer. This can be the teacher or a student depending on the class and grade level. Once everyone has named what items they put in their basket and we've listed them on the board, we will fill in the food pyramid on the smart board with what food we think should go where. This will be a good nutrition lesson and help students with their public speaking as well. ( )
  jennabushong | Apr 23, 2016 |
I would use this book in a age range of a high achieving second grade classroom to a low to average fourth grade classroom. I could use this book with many different lessons, such as, teaching cause and effect within characters of the book, while also breaking this down into character webs. Once the students were able to break down the characters into character maps, I would then have them sequence the events of the stories and create problem solving strategies. ( )
  Amanda11 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I would use this in a first or second grade classroom. This would be a great book to demonstrate cause and effect or problem and solution. I would ask the children what they thought the wolfs intentions were. ( )
  AmbraGoff | Mar 29, 2016 |

Hyman, Trina Schartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Jacobsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Wilhelmsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Mimi
Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Elisabeth who lived with her mother in a house on the edge of a village.

Elizabeth is sent by her mother to her grandmothers house.  Along the way the wolf approaches her but Elizabeth shoos him off.  Little does she know, wolf goes to her grandmothers house, gobbles her up, and hops into bed pretending to be her.  Elizabeth suspects something but the wolf gobbles her up too!  Luckily a hunter is in the area and hears a commotion.  Can he save Elizabeth and her grandmother?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0823406539, Paperback)

Trina Schart Hyman used to pretend she was Little Red Riding Hood when she was a little girl, wearing a red cape sewn by her mother. Her love for this character permeates her award-winning retelling of the traditional Grimm story, even as Grandma and Little Red get eaten alive by the wolf and then saved by the kindly woodsman (illustrated carefully with a minimum of violence). Little Red learns her lessons--to keep her promises, to stay on the path, to mind her manners, and to avoid talking to big, bad wolves--lessons parents still try to teach their children many generations after the Brothers Grimm first recorded this story.

For over 20 years, readers young and old have loved Hyman's illustrations of children's books, fairy tales, and folk tales--most notably the Caldecott Honor Book Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by Eric Kimmel, and The Fortune Tellers by Lloyd Alexander. Her illustrations for Saint George and the Dragon, by Margaret Hodges, won the Caldecott Medal. (Ages 3 to 6)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:15 -0400)

On her way to deliver a basket of food to her sick grandmother, Elisabeth encounters a sly wolf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,815,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible