Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman

Little Red Riding Hood

by Trina Schart Hyman

Other authors: Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm

"Little Red Riding Hood", by Trina Schart Hyman, is a traditional literature picture book great for kids. This book is about a little girl going to visit her grandmother when she encounters wolf. She tells the wolf where she is going and her distracts her and sneaks to the grandmothers house and locks her in the closet. When Little Red arrives the wolf is disguised as her grandmother. This old folktale can be good for all ages because kids from the ages 3-6 would love seeing all the illustrations and hearing the story and when adults read it, it can remind them of their childhood as they used to read it. ( )
  tmr273 | Apr 15, 2015 |
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood - other readers may like it more. The retelling is familiar, just goes into a little more detail. I never realized before, but think of poor granny - first she's doing poorly, then she gets eaten, then in the course of getting rescued she gets blood all over her bed and cottage. This version didn't show the blood, but it mentioned the mess. Now of course this is Trina Schart Hyman's creation, so the illustrations are what really matters. And if you're a fan of picture books, you've probably enjoyed her work elsewhere. I know I love her. In some ways I prefer her to [a:Jan Brett|16325|Jan Brett|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-F-50x66.jpg], who, if you ask me, has gotten just a little too commercial. I love the little girl here, with her worried expression showing in the way she turns her boot toes in, and seeing her suck on her finger makes me want to take her hand out of her mouth and cuddle her. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a great children's book. I really liked the character in this story because of how realistic and easy to relate to they are. Many children can relate to Little Red Riding Hood because they may visit their grandparents and bring them things that they need. Although the wolf is an animal, he can be related to any strangers that the children may have met.
I also really liked the language throughout this story. The language was very engaging, interesting, and fun to read. "My what big teeth you have. The better to eat you with my dear".
The big idea in this story is to show children that they should not talk to strangers without their parents present. ( )
  csmith109 | Apr 1, 2015 |
A well-deserved winner of the Caldecott Honor in 1984. LRRH has a name, Elisabeth, in this faithful retelling of a Grimms' version. I loved that LRRH's cat followed her on her journey, and on the page where the old huntsman arrived at the cottage (because of the loud snoring), LRRH's cat is shown at the huntsman's feet, meowing at him, as if telling the huntsman to hurry, that Grandmother and Elisabeth have just been eaten. The huntsman cuts the wolf open, then, after the ladies escape the wolf's belly, he skins the wolf and takes the pelt home with him.

I also loved the timeless, classic feel of the illustrations, many of which were overflowing with nature. Mushrooms and cats and flowers and cats and ferns - it felt just like a fairy tale forest should.

5 stars (and I must add this one to my collection) ( )
  flying_monkeys | Mar 20, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a great children’s book with the important message to listen to your parents and not to trust strangers. I felt that the detailed illustrations really enhanced the plot of the story, and they created a lot of emotion. For instance, one page showed the unsureness of little red riding hood by her scrunched nose and worried eyes when she got to her grandmother’s house and saw her “grandma” in bed, who looked a little strange (because it was in fact the wolf). In addition, I also liked the plot of the story, as it was believable, despite being fiction, and there was a logical progression of events that led to the climax. For instance, Red was first warned not to talk to anyone along the way to her grandmother’s house, next thing you know she is buddy-buddy with a wolf, and finally finds the wolf in her grandmother’s bed. Overall, I thought this was an enjoyable traditional literature story to read. ( )
  akoches | Mar 10, 2015 |

Hyman, Trina Schartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Jacobsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Wilhelmsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Mimi
Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Elisabeth who lived with her mother in a house on the edge of a village.

Elizabeth is sent by her mother to her grandmothers house.  Along the way the wolf approaches her but Elizabeth shoos him off.  Little does she know, wolf goes to her grandmothers house, gobbles her up, and hops into bed pretending to be her.  Elizabeth suspects something but the wolf gobbles her up too!  Luckily a hunter is in the area and hears a commotion.  Can he save Elizabeth and her grandmother?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0823406539, Paperback)

Trina Schart Hyman used to pretend she was Little Red Riding Hood when she was a little girl, wearing a red cape sewn by her mother. Her love for this character permeates her award-winning retelling of the traditional Grimm story, even as Grandma and Little Red get eaten alive by the wolf and then saved by the kindly woodsman (illustrated carefully with a minimum of violence). Little Red learns her lessons--to keep her promises, to stay on the path, to mind her manners, and to avoid talking to big, bad wolves--lessons parents still try to teach their children many generations after the Brothers Grimm first recorded this story.

For over 20 years, readers young and old have loved Hyman's illustrations of children's books, fairy tales, and folk tales--most notably the Caldecott Honor Book Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by Eric Kimmel, and The Fortune Tellers by Lloyd Alexander. Her illustrations for Saint George and the Dragon, by Margaret Hodges, won the Caldecott Medal. (Ages 3 to 6)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:21 -0400)

On her way to deliver a basket of food to her sick grandmother, Elisabeth encounters a sly wolf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,563,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible