Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman

Little Red Riding Hood

by Trina Schart Hyman

Other authors: Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm

5989416,394 (4)6

A well-deserved winner of the Caldecott Honor in 1984. LRRH has a name, Elisabeth, in this faithful retelling of a Grimms' version. I loved that LRRH's cat followed her on her journey, and on the page where the old huntsman arrived at the cottage (because of the loud snoring), LRRH's cat is shown at the huntsman's feet, meowing at him, as if telling the huntsman to hurry, that Grandmother and Elisabeth have just been eaten. The huntsman cuts the wolf open, then, after the ladies escape the wolf's belly, he skins the wolf and takes the pelt home with him.

I also loved the timeless, classic feel of the illustrations, many of which were overflowing with nature. Mushrooms and cats and flowers and cats and ferns - it felt just like a fairy tale forest should.

5 stars (and I must add this one to my collection) ( )
  flying_monkeys | Mar 20, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a great children’s book with the important message to listen to your parents and not to trust strangers. I felt that the detailed illustrations really enhanced the plot of the story, and they created a lot of emotion. For instance, one page showed the unsureness of little red riding hood by her scrunched nose and worried eyes when she got to her grandmother’s house and saw her “grandma” in bed, who looked a little strange (because it was in fact the wolf). In addition, I also liked the plot of the story, as it was believable, despite being fiction, and there was a logical progression of events that led to the climax. For instance, Red was first warned not to talk to anyone along the way to her grandmother’s house, next thing you know she is buddy-buddy with a wolf, and finally finds the wolf in her grandmother’s bed. Overall, I thought this was an enjoyable traditional literature story to read. ( )
  akoches | Mar 10, 2015 |
I enjoyed this story for multiple reasons. The moral of the story was a great one! Listen to your parents and never talk to strangers. Red riding hood went into the forest and plays around where she meets the wolf. It is those interactions that leads to her grandmother's downfall. If she had just listened to her mother and not talked to the wold then he grandmother would still be alive and uneaten. Another thing that I really enjoyed about the book were the illustrations. They were well organized and had full pictures with intricate details and deep colors. ( )
  lbradf4 | Mar 3, 2015 |
I liked this book because it was engaging and had very nice word choice. When the author describes the wolf surprising Red Riding Hood, she uses the sentence "sprang out of bed". This sentence allowed me to visualize the wolf jumping up and scaring Red. The big idea of this story is that our parents set rules and boundaries for our safety, and if we follow them, we will not be eaten by the big bad wolf. ( )
  estree1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is a folktale about a girl who is going to visit her grandmother. Her mother tells her not to make any stops or talk to any strangers on the way. A wolf sees the girl and asks her where she is going. He sneaks into her grandmother's house and disguises himself as her. The wolf tries to bite Little Red Riding Hood but lumberjacks save her and her grandmother. Little Red learns her lesson to not talk to strangers.

Personal Reaction:
A little surprised of how much more in detailed this book was on the story compared to stories I've seen mostly on media that presented there own version of the story. It demonstrated how media sometimes and most of the time leaves out little but yet important details of a story when creating their own versions.

Extension Ideas:
1. Draw what you might see on an adventure through the woods.
2. Reflection essay on why it is important not to talk to strangers. ( )
  Mickey3091 | Feb 11, 2015 |

Hyman, Trina Schartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Jacobsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Wilhelmsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Mimi
Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Elisabeth who lived with her mother in a house on the edge of a village.

Elizabeth is sent by her mother to her grandmothers house.  Along the way the wolf approaches her but Elizabeth shoos him off.  Little does she know, wolf goes to her grandmothers house, gobbles her up, and hops into bed pretending to be her.  Elizabeth suspects something but the wolf gobbles her up too!  Luckily a hunter is in the area and hears a commotion.  Can he save Elizabeth and her grandmother?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0823406539, Paperback)

Trina Schart Hyman used to pretend she was Little Red Riding Hood when she was a little girl, wearing a red cape sewn by her mother. Her love for this character permeates her award-winning retelling of the traditional Grimm story, even as Grandma and Little Red get eaten alive by the wolf and then saved by the kindly woodsman (illustrated carefully with a minimum of violence). Little Red learns her lessons--to keep her promises, to stay on the path, to mind her manners, and to avoid talking to big, bad wolves--lessons parents still try to teach their children many generations after the Brothers Grimm first recorded this story.

For over 20 years, readers young and old have loved Hyman's illustrations of children's books, fairy tales, and folk tales--most notably the Caldecott Honor Book Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by Eric Kimmel, and The Fortune Tellers by Lloyd Alexander. Her illustrations for Saint George and the Dragon, by Margaret Hodges, won the Caldecott Medal. (Ages 3 to 6)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:21 -0400)

On her way to deliver a basket of food to her sick grandmother, Elisabeth encounters a sly wolf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,299,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible