Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman

Little Red Riding Hood

by Trina Schart Hyman

Other authors: Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm

5858916,858 ()5

I liked this book because it was engaging and had very nice word choice. When the author describes the wolf surprising Red Riding Hood, she uses the sentence "sprang out of bed". This sentence allowed me to visualize the wolf jumping up and scaring Red. The big idea of this story is that our parents set rules and boundaries for our safety, and if we follow them, we will not be eaten by the big bad wolf. ( )
  estree1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
Summary:

Personal Reaction:
A little surprised of how much more in detailed this book was on the story compared to stories I've seen mostly on media that presented there own version of the story. It demonstrated how media sometimes and most of the time leaves out little but yet important details of a story when creating their own versions.

Extension Ideas:
1. Draw what you might see on an adventure through the woods.
2. Reflection essay on why it is important not to talk to strangers. ( )
  Mickey3091 | Feb 11, 2015 |
SUMMARY: This book is a folktale about a girl who is going to visit her grandmother. Her mother tells her not to make any stops or talk to any strangers on the way. A wolf sees the girl and asks her where she is going. He sneaks into her grandmother's house and disguises himself as her. The wolf tries to bite Little Red Riding Hood but lumberjacks save her and her grandmother. Little Red learns her lesson to not talk to strangers.

REVIEW: The central message is to not trust strangers and to listen to your parents. This book's illustrations are very interesting. The repetitiveness would be catchy for young readers.
  ekrzys1 | Dec 10, 2014 |
Summary:
"Little Red Riding Hood" is a classic story about a little girl, Little Red Riding Hood and how she travels through the woods on a trip to visit her grandmother. Everything is going well until a wolf gets involved.

Review:
This is such a classic children's book from my childhood. After rereading this for the first time in years, I still love it as much as when I was younger. The illustrations and the story work together so well. This is such a great example of a good vs. evil book and well as showing children that they should not talk to strangers. ( )
  mnorth2 | Dec 9, 2014 |
SUMMARY
Little Red Riding Hood is asked to take her sick grandmother some bread, sweet butter, and wine. Her mother gives her explicit directions to stay on the path and not stray. While on her way, she encounters a wolf. She tells the wolf exactly where she is going. The wolf is able to distract her and get her to pick flowers while he runs to her grandmother's house and eats the grandmother. When Red gets there, she doesn't realize it is the wolf, and he is able to trick her and eat her. The wolf falls asleep and his snores alert a huntsman. He walks in and kills the wolf, freeing Red and her grandmother from his belly.

REVIEW
I appreciated that the author stayed true to the classic Brothers Grimm version of this book. The text is simple and guides along on Red's journey to grandmother's house. My favorite feature of this book is the illustration borders. I love the intricately painted borders that surrounded the text. I also noticed that the borders were usually painted in a way that foreshadowed events in the story. However, I'm not surprised that the illustration are so sublime because this book is a Caldecott Winner. ( )
  tstato1 | Dec 7, 2014 |

Hyman, Trina Schartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Jacobsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Wilhelmsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Elizabeth is sent by her mother to her grandmothers house.  Along the way the wolf approaches her but Elizabeth shoos him off.  Little does she know, wolf goes to her grandmothers house, gobbles her up, and hops into bed pretending to be her.  Elizabeth suspects something but the wolf gobbles her up too!  Luckily a hunter is in the area and hears a commotion.  Can he save Elizabeth and her grandmother?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0823406539, Paperback)

Trina Schart Hyman used to pretend she was Little Red Riding Hood when she was a little girl, wearing a red cape sewn by her mother. Her love for this character permeates her award-winning retelling of the traditional Grimm story, even as Grandma and Little Red get eaten alive by the wolf and then saved by the kindly woodsman (illustrated carefully with a minimum of violence). Little Red learns her lessons--to keep her promises, to stay on the path, to mind her manners, and to avoid talking to big, bad wolves--lessons parents still try to teach their children many generations after the Brothers Grimm first recorded this story.

For over 20 years, readers young and old have loved Hyman's illustrations of children's books, fairy tales, and folk tales--most notably the Caldecott Honor Book Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by Eric Kimmel, and The Fortune Tellers by Lloyd Alexander. Her illustrations for Saint George and the Dragon, by Margaret Hodges, won the Caldecott Medal. (Ages 3 to 6)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:21 -0400)

On her way to deliver a basket of food to her sick grandmother, Elisabeth encounters a sly wolf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,684,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible