Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman

Little Red Riding Hood

by Trina Schart Hyman

Other authors: Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm

6199715,730 (4.02)6

sum: This book as we all know is about little red riding hood the little girl who goes to her grandma's house to find out that the wolf ate her grandma.

personal reaction: i have seen so many spin offs of this book but i have to say it will still go down as one of the greatest books.

classroom ideas: 1. have the kids draw a picture of the big bad wolf
2. Have them write about what they would do in that situation.
  Matthew.Pluff | Jul 7, 2015 |
The genre of this book is fairytale. We all know the classic story of Little Red Riding Hood. Little Red is told to bring food to her sick grandmother, who lives on the other half of the forest. Along the way, though, she meets a wolf, who tricks her into picking flowers for her grandmother so that he has enough time to gobble up the old grandmother first. After Red arrives at grandma's, he notices how her grandmother has changed, and the wolf also gobbles her up whole. A nearby hunter wonders why the snoring in the old woman's house is so loud, and discovers the wolf. He cuts open the wolf, saving Red and her grandma's life. Red learns that it is always better to obey. Hyman tells it in a simplistic, yet entertaining way that most young readers would find enjoyable. I would use this in a fairytales unit, just as a great re-telling of the story that everyone knows. ( )
  athena.j | Jun 13, 2015 |
"Little Red Riding Hood", by Trina Schart Hyman, is a traditional literature picture book great for kids. This book is about a little girl going to visit her grandmother when she encounters wolf. She tells the wolf where she is going and her distracts her and sneaks to the grandmothers house and locks her in the closet. When Little Red arrives the wolf is disguised as her grandmother. This old folktale can be good for all ages because kids from the ages 3-6 would love seeing all the illustrations and hearing the story and when adults read it, it can remind them of their childhood as they used to read it. ( )
  tmr273 | Apr 15, 2015 |
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood - other readers may like it more. The retelling is familiar, just goes into a little more detail. I never realized before, but think of poor granny - first she's doing poorly, then she gets eaten, then in the course of getting rescued she gets blood all over her bed and cottage. This version didn't show the blood, but it mentioned the mess. Now of course this is Trina Schart Hyman's creation, so the illustrations are what really matters. And if you're a fan of picture books, you've probably enjoyed her work elsewhere. I know I love her. In some ways I prefer her to [a:Jan Brett|16325|Jan Brett|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-F-50x66.jpg], who, if you ask me, has gotten just a little too commercial. I love the little girl here, with her worried expression showing in the way she turns her boot toes in, and seeing her suck on her finger makes me want to take her hand out of her mouth and cuddle her. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a great children's book. I really liked the character in this story because of how realistic and easy to relate to they are. Many children can relate to Little Red Riding Hood because they may visit their grandparents and bring them things that they need. Although the wolf is an animal, he can be related to any strangers that the children may have met.
I also really liked the language throughout this story. The language was very engaging, interesting, and fun to read. "My what big teeth you have. The better to eat you with my dear".
The big idea in this story is to show children that they should not talk to strangers without their parents present. ( )
  csmith109 | Apr 1, 2015 |

Hyman, Trina Schartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Jacobsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Wilhelmsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Mimi
Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Elisabeth who lived with her mother in a house on the edge of a village.

Elizabeth is sent by her mother to her grandmothers house.  Along the way the wolf approaches her but Elizabeth shoos him off.  Little does she know, wolf goes to her grandmothers house, gobbles her up, and hops into bed pretending to be her.  Elizabeth suspects something but the wolf gobbles her up too!  Luckily a hunter is in the area and hears a commotion.  Can he save Elizabeth and her grandmother?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0823406539, Paperback)

Trina Schart Hyman used to pretend she was Little Red Riding Hood when she was a little girl, wearing a red cape sewn by her mother. Her love for this character permeates her award-winning retelling of the traditional Grimm story, even as Grandma and Little Red get eaten alive by the wolf and then saved by the kindly woodsman (illustrated carefully with a minimum of violence). Little Red learns her lessons--to keep her promises, to stay on the path, to mind her manners, and to avoid talking to big, bad wolves--lessons parents still try to teach their children many generations after the Brothers Grimm first recorded this story.

For over 20 years, readers young and old have loved Hyman's illustrations of children's books, fairy tales, and folk tales--most notably the Caldecott Honor Book Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by Eric Kimmel, and The Fortune Tellers by Lloyd Alexander. Her illustrations for Saint George and the Dragon, by Margaret Hodges, won the Caldecott Medal. (Ages 3 to 6)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:15 -0400)

On her way to deliver a basket of food to her sick grandmother, Elisabeth encounters a sly wolf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,412,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible