Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman

Little Red Riding Hood

by Trina Schart Hyman

Other authors: Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm

The story, "Little Red Riding Hood" is about a little girl who has to deliver cookies to her grandmother's house. Little Red has to make her adventure through the woods dodging the wolf who tries to eat her.
This modern fantasy is a classic, the illustrations Hyman uses are so detailed it makes the story come to life. I like how different this story is when it comes to the new stories being told.
In my class, I would have students do a sequencing activity about the events that happened in the story.
  Courtjl | Feb 10, 2017 |
A young girl name Little Red Riding Hood was asked by her mother to tke goodies to her grandmother who was sick. On her way there, Little Red came across a woodcutter who warned her about a despicable wolf. Upon hearing about the granny and the girl, the wolf hurried to grannie's house and gobbled her in one bite. When Little Red Riding Hood finally made it to her granny's house, she noticed all of the strange things about her grandmother. The wolf jumped out of his disguise as the grandmother and tried to eat Little Red. Thankfully, the woodcutter heard the cries of distress and cut the wolf open, freeing granny, and saving Little Red.

I was actually scared of this tale growing up. Although I was not scared that a wolf would eat my grandmother, I was scared of the woods and everything that was in it.

I can imagine an activity where children could put an animal's face next to a human's face and point out the differences. This would allow them to see the differences not only between animals and humans, but also animals and other animals.
  meygyn11 | Feb 9, 2017 |
I chose to read this book because I wanted to read how the author put this story into his own words. I always loved this story as a child, so I decided to read through it as an adult and compare the difference of how I felt about it as a child and how I feel about it now. I have to say, this story is definitely still one of my favorites of all time. I loved the illustrations in this book because in a sense it brought the story to life.The cover page of this book gives the readers a good idea of what the book might consist of. The cover of the book has a little girl wearing a red cloak with a hood, carrying a basket. In the picture she is in the forest with many trees and plants beside her. What I found interesting is that by the look of her facial expression, she seems dazed or maybe a tad bit worried. The end pages in the book were very colorful and detailed. They show a young girl sitting on a bench interestingly reading a book surrounded by many kittens and a black cat..In the picture, I can see her mother in the background, inside the house with her back turned to the girl. I thought that this was a very interesting picture because it made me think if the girl was bored and didn't have anyone reading or playing with her. I noticed that the story and illustrations go perfectly well with each other. The illustrator uses the gestures and facial expressions of the grandmother and the young girl, little red riding hood, to display their feelings. For instance, when Little red riding hood's grandmother gave her the cloak, her grandmothers face showed that she was happy and enjoyed being with her granddaughter. Another aspect I found mind blowing is that in every picture the black cat was with little red riding hood! In many pictures it's either the cat as a whole being in the pictures or its head peaking out behind a tree, looking at little red riding hood. Close to the ending of the book, the black cat was shown meowing at a huntsman in attempt in saving little red riding hood and her grandmother. I thought that the re occurrence of this cat was done very discretely and leaved you in a sense of awe. Overall, the illustrator of this book did an amazing job because she made me feel like I was in the story, through her illustrations. ( )
  kristeen1995 | Feb 7, 2017 |
Summary: Little Red Riding Hood is taking a basket of food to her granny. She runs into the Wolf in the forest and mentions where she is going, he beats her to her grannys house and eats the granny. He dresses us and pretends to be her waiting for Little Red Riding Hood. He tries to eat her, but she notices who he is before he does.
Personal: I actually didn't read this book until I was older and I watched the movie that came out. I knew the story from people telling me when I was younger, but it scared me more than I enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I will read it to my daughter or a young group of children since it can scare some children (or maybe I was a scaredy cat.)
Classroom: It would be fun to print off the wolf and let the children decorate the wolf to portray their grandma or how they imagine the wolf would look.
  courtneynorton | Feb 7, 2017 |
a retold story of the little red riding hood
2 books
  TUCC | Jan 19, 2017 |

Hyman, Trina Schartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Jacobsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Wilhelmsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Mimi
Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Elisabeth who lived with her mother in a house on the edge of a village.

Elizabeth is sent by her mother to her grandmothers house.  Along the way the wolf approaches her but Elizabeth shoos him off.  Little does she know, wolf goes to her grandmothers house, gobbles her up, and hops into bed pretending to be her.  Elizabeth suspects something but the wolf gobbles her up too!  Luckily a hunter is in the area and hears a commotion.  Can he save Elizabeth and her grandmother?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0823406539, Paperback)

Trina Schart Hyman used to pretend she was Little Red Riding Hood when she was a little girl, wearing a red cape sewn by her mother. Her love for this character permeates her award-winning retelling of the traditional Grimm story, even as Grandma and Little Red get eaten alive by the wolf and then saved by the kindly woodsman (illustrated carefully with a minimum of violence). Little Red learns her lessons--to keep her promises, to stay on the path, to mind her manners, and to avoid talking to big, bad wolves--lessons parents still try to teach their children many generations after the Brothers Grimm first recorded this story.

For over 20 years, readers young and old have loved Hyman's illustrations of children's books, fairy tales, and folk tales--most notably the Caldecott Honor Book Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by Eric Kimmel, and The Fortune Tellers by Lloyd Alexander. Her illustrations for Saint George and the Dragon, by Margaret Hodges, won the Caldecott Medal. (Ages 3 to 6)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:15 -0400)

On her way to deliver a basket of food to her sick grandmother, Elisabeth encounters a sly wolf.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,475,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible