Montmorency #1: Montmorency: Thief, Liar,…

Montmorency #1: Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Eleanor Updale (Author)

In Victorian London, after his life is saved by a young physician, a thief utilizes the knowledge he gains in prison and from the scientific lectures he attends as the physician's case study exhibit to create a new, highly successful, double life for himself.
Member:ticklytigers
Title:Montmorency #1: Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman
Authors:Eleanor Updale (Author)
Info:Orchard Books (2004), 240 pages

Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman by Eleanor Updale (2004)

Lending

Checked out 2020-01-14 — Due 2020-01-28 — Overdue

Montmorency is a thief who uses his skills to create a new identity and penetrate London's 19th century elite. The reader follows his transition as he figures out the subtle ways of the upper classes, his risky trips through the new London sewers, and the constant fear that someone would discover his true identity.

This book is such an interesting mixture of action and description, yet with very little character development. Montmorency has few, if any, defining characteristics. He has apparently committed terrible crimes, yet appears to have a heart of gold. I will be interested to see if his low-class identity resurfaces in the following books in the series; I suspect he might be rather boring without Scarper. The description of the sewers is perfectly understated, and the danger that he faces is suspenseful without being over-the-top.

I would give this to a 5th grade or older reader who can appreciate the historical details, be patient with methodical plotting, and who enjoys humor and intrigue. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
Very quick read. For a debut novel, I felt like the author really had a good grasp of voice. Wish the font had been different and the margins not so large (I was expecting the book to be longer than it was), but no real problems with the content. Pacing was too quick — but that I only had a problem with because I liked it. ( )
  schufman | Jul 20, 2019 |
A young street thief is being chased by the police. In trying to escape them, he falls through a glass roof and comes close to death. Sentenced to prison he is found by an up-and-coming young surgeon, who gets permission to sew the thief back together and then use him as a human example of what can be done to repair the human body.

While travelling with the doctor to various medical seminars, prisoner 493 observes and learns how the other class lives. He also learns much about his body and what has been done. He also learns about the new underground sewers in London and how they connect up to all the areas to remove the waste. To him they can be utilized as a transportation corridor...to various parts to aide in his thievery and help him to a better life.

After he is released, he takes on two new identities: Scarper, a rough, corrupt and filthy bloke; and Montmorency, a wealthy and sophisticated gentleman. Each person has their own life but are linked in that Scarper is Montmorency's servant.

Scarper's use of the sewers allows him to steal from the rich of the city; this gives Montmorency the funds to take rooms at the Hotel Marimion and become part of the high society of London. The key thing is keeping the two identities separate and his past a secret.

I enjoyed both characters and the story. I found that there were sections that made me hold my breath and hope that the character succeeded. I read it at a slower pace so I could enjoy the book and think over the actions of the characters. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Apr 11, 2019 |
This sucked me in just as fast as it did when I was a kid! The tension throughout the book is really great, and it's a nice easy heist read (maybe good for kids who like heists but are not ready yet for Six of Crows.) The ending does feel pretty rushed, but given that there is now an entire series (!!!) that did not exist when I first read this 10+ years ago, that rushed ending may not be as big a deal. I am definitely interested in what goes on in the other books in the series! ( )
  aijmiller | Aug 10, 2017 |
I hadn't had so much fun reading a book in a long time.

Brought me back to the stories of my childhood, like Dumas' The count of Montecristo, Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray.

Compulsive reading.

Don't miss. ( )
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
To Jim, Andrew, Catherine and Flora - Montmorancy's oldest friends
The pain woke him again.

A thief steals some clothes
and lives like a gentleman
after some jail time. (marcusbrutus)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,596,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible