The Seeing Stone - Arthur Trilogy, Book One…

The Seeing Stone - Arthur Trilogy, Book One (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Kevin Crossley-Holland

Series: Arthur trilogy (1)

In late twelfth-century England, a thirteen-year-old boy named Arthur recounts how Merlin gives him a magical seeing stone which shows him images of the legendary King Arthur, the events of whose life seem to have many parallels to his own.
Member:carletonsfa
Title:The Seeing Stone - Arthur Trilogy, Book One
Authors:Kevin Crossley-Holland
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2002), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Tags:seeing stone, arthur trilogy, sfa, pb, cro

The Seeing Stone by Kevin Crossley-Holland (2000)

The Earl by Cecelia Holland (themulhern)
    themulhern: The Earl, a novel for adults, is set in England about 20 years before "The Seeing Stone" but the conflict between inclinations and the expectations of society is just as strong. The eponymous earl holds some lands on the Welsh border and one of his pages is officially a Welsh hostage.… (more)

English (21)  German (1)  All languages (22)
Advance copy. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
A young Arthur living at the end of the twelfth century in England is given an obsidian stone by his father's friend, Merlin. In the stone, he sees the life of another, older Arthur, and their two lives are strangely similar.
Meh. I couldn't get into this one much, although in general it was an okay read. I don't see the point of the link between the two Arthurs and that irritated me and spoiled the book for me a bit. ( )
  electrascaife | Apr 9, 2019 |
I got this for a leisure read. Sometimes I just like to fall back into a little fantasy and let my mind explore a world that doesn't exist in the same space as mine. The Seeing Stone is told in very short chapters that were enjoyable. They move the story forward quickly while revealing tidbits about the history of the time and the family involved. It's told from the point of view of a thirteen year old boy. His mild observations about the world around him will draw you in, as you can sense that something much bigger than him is going on. Fun read. ( )
  SarinaLeigh | Apr 21, 2017 |
I’ve read to the end of the first book of a trilogy and I want to read on. This doesn’t happen to me very often. Usually, book one is enough. Often, more than enough.

I am not quite sure where this trilogy is going and that’s a good thing. It’s a series about King Arthur, with all the usual, yet somehow still surprising revelations: pulling the sword from the stone, enchantment of Arthur’s father for his mother, and Merlin.

But it is more. In this version, there are two Arthurs and two Merlins and two storylines that converge and diverge and twist and turn and intertwine.

Do you see why I want to read on? Yes, I think I must. ( )
  debnance | Feb 16, 2014 |
‘The Seeing Stone’ is a children’s novel, and as such, has extremely short chapters, sometimes only 1 page long in places. The way it is written is from Arthur’s point of view, and the broken up chapters, that sometimes don’t seem to link together, feel almost like diary entries. Although this book is set in 1199, the language used isn’t old fashioned but there are objects that they use that aren’t really around today. In my copy of the book, there is a definitions page though so this helps a lot, and also there is a character list, with who each character is detailed clearly. The writing style annoyed me slightly in that there were a lot of exclamation points that weren’t always necessary, and it made the language sound quite immature.

Reading this I had a few problems in that the characters don’t seem to sound their ages. For instance, because Arthur is only thirteen and he is the narrator, it feels almost as if all of the other characters are also his age, which isn’t the case.

I really liked the fast-paced nature of this book, helped by the short chapters and the medieval style illustrations that were in my copy really helped set the scene for the story. The inclusion of Welsh words was really well done and I think this is possibly one of the reasons I used to like these books so much, as when I was originally reading this about ten years ago, I was learning Welsh.

After about halfway, I found that I was losing interest in this book. The way it is written is obvious that it is a series and not a standalone book because things happen very slowly and the alternating narrative got a little distracting, to the point where I much preferred one point of view over the other. Some of the mysteries became very predictable and I was forcing myself to keep reading.

Another thing that annoyed me with this book was the dominance of religion in the story. I understand that in 1199 this would have been how people were, and I have nothing against religion,though I am not religious myself, but I found that sometimes it took over from the storyline and some of the other themes weren’t explored to their full potential.

Near the end, the story seemed to pick up and although the events were quite predictable, it was actually enjoyable by the end. I think this would be great for younger readers but it didn’t really draw me in enough so I won’t be rereading the rest of the series. ( )
  charlottejones952 | Sep 2, 2013 |

Kevin Crossley-Hollandprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lawrence, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tran Van Khai, Michelle-VivianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SamuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Nicole Crossley-Holland
with love
Tumbler Hill!
Each of us needs a quest, and a person without one is lost to himself.

The year is 1199, and on the borders of England and Wales young Arthur de Caldicot waits impatiently to grow up and become a knight. One day his father's friend Merlin gives Arthur a shining black stone, and he starts to see stories of his namesake, King Arthur. As the stories of the two Arthurs intertwine, the narrative builds to a thrilling and mysterious climax.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,767,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible