The Thief (The Queen's Thief, Book 1)…

The Thief (The Queen's Thief, Book 1) (edition 2006)

by Megan Whalen Turner

Series: Queen's Thief (1)

Gen flaunts his ingenuity as a thief and relishes the adventure which takes him to a remote temple of the gods where he will attempt to steal a precious stone.
Member:DavidGlover
Title:The Thief (The Queen's Thief, Book 1)
Authors:Megan Whalen Turner
Info:Greenwillow Books (2006), Paperback, 304 pages

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (notemily)
    The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (gluestick, humouress)
    gluestick: Boys who come up with ingenious plans and incredible plot twists.
    humouress: The protagonists in both books are cheeky street boys who become in embroiled in royal politics and kingmaker's plans. But they decide to do things their own way.
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (bell7)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (quigui)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (bwebb22)
    The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Although one is Greece-esque fantasy and the other is a Roman-era mystery, both share scrappy, compelling characters in the form of Gen and Marcus Didius Falco.
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (gluestick)
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow by Fuyumi Ono (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Similarities: interesting characters, no romance, politics. I recommend the Eugene Woodbury translations.
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (gluestick)
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey (Nikkles, gluestick)
    The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (mysimas)
    A Conspiracy of Truths by Alexandra Rowland (mysimas)
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (gluestick)
    gluestick: Tale of two thieves.First book is great.
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both books are closely inspired by a mythology and a geography. But both books are also highly original and the first in a series of similar books.
    The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron (gluestick)
    gluestick: Another charming,ingenious,mischievous thief with a secret agenda and an inflated sense of his own worth.Could be Gen's long lost twin brother.

Rating: 2.5/5

I was mildly disappointed about my first read of 2014. I expected a little bit more of excitement and adventure and I ended up skimming the pages and waiting for the final page to be honest.

Why the 3 stars you say? The little twist at the end was surprisingly good and stirred enough of my curiosity to push me pursuing the rest of the series; which according to the raving reviews, is much better than the first installment.

Let's hope that's true! ( )
  Ash600 | Mar 19, 2021 |
Gen is a thief. Captured by a king while bragging about a heist, another man at court sees a way to use Gen for different political ends. A YA journey adventure ensues.

Very cute! Entertaining, very well drawn characters, and an excellent YA foray into a relatively uncommon shtick that leads to a nice payoff. Though I didn't find it gripping, I will definitely read more in the series. ( )
  pammab | Feb 25, 2021 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was written from an interesting perspective and kept me wondering where it was headed. ( )
  ColourfulThreads | Feb 18, 2021 |
Thoroughly enjoyable fantasy. I thought I'd had all the reveals of the plot figured out before the end of the book, but then I turned out to be completely surprised by how little I had known and was quite pleased with the ending. It didn't come out of nowhere (despite my missing various clues), the story wrapped up nicely, and I was left excited to dive into the next novel of the series with all the possibilities that are now open. A+ ( )
  coprime | Feb 5, 2021 |
This was my first foray into this series, and I enjoyed it very much. In fact, it was one of those books that I liked more and more as I went along. Turner somehow manages to keep you completely engaged and convinced you're following the story just fine while all the while building up to a wonderful reveal/twist. Gen, the main character, is fascinating and just gets more and more so as the story goes on. I'm looking forward to reading more in the series. ( )
  lycomayflower | Dec 11, 2020 |

Turner, Megan Whalenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sandy Passarelli
I didn't know how long I had been in the king's prison.

"There is something I want you to steal. Do this for me, and I'll see that you don't go back to prison. Fail to do this for me, and I will still make sure that you don't go back to prison."

The king's magus needs a skilful thief. Incarcerated for stealing from the king himself, Gen is the just the pawn the magus is looking for. Cocky, brash and extremely uncooperative, Gen is press-ganged into an unlikely band of travellers and marched through Sounis, into hostile Attolia.

Concealed in Attolia is an object of such power it can make or break a king - but even stolen treasure has it's price.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,431,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible