Promised Land by Robert B. Parker

Promised Land (original 1976; edition 1993)

by Robert B. Parker

Series: Spenser (4)

1,0302015,351 (3.67)22
Private investigator Spenser leaves Boston for summertime Cape Cod where he and his friend Susan Silverman find themselves involved with fools and villains whose concerns are extortion, robbery, and murder.
Member:caledfwlch
Title:Promised Land
Authors:Robert B. Parker
Info:Dell Publishing Company (1993), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:***

Work Information

Promised Land by Robert B. Parker (1976)

Spenser is at his snarky best as he searches for a missing wife. His relationship with Hawk begins to really develop in this novel. ( )
  DrApple | Aug 19, 2021 |
Hard boiled detective plays at marriage counceling while setting up a sting operation between militant feminists and land grifters. What a joy it is to be in his world. I like his new friends, too. (Or old friend, tbph)
I think these are pretty candy, of a very modernish noir taste. I'm sliding into the style nicely, and enjoying the nuance more. I can't tell if it is me or the writing, but the fact that I've been submerged in his world for a few days means that I'm likely to have some of it rub off on me.
On to the next novel! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I'm torn on this one. Enjoyed the characters but the armed revolutionary feminists made me roll my eyes. A little too much dated politics and 70s-style psyche/self-help to hold my attention like the others in this series but hey, the book was written in 1976 and it is what it is. ( )
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
Spenser was more judicious in his smart talk than most later attempted clones and I wasn't expecting him to come forth with well articulated feminist statements. I didn't enjoy the case or his solution to the mess associated with it, but it was readable and interesting. ( )
1 vote quondame | Apr 3, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Joan, David, and Daniel
I had been urban-renewed right out of my office and had to move uptown.
Guys like Powers you can get with money, or the hope of it. Or fear if you're in a position to scare them. But people like Rose, they were hard. Zealots were always hard. Zeal distorts them. Makes the normal impulses convolute. Makes people fearless and greedless and loveless and finally monstrous. I was against zeal.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,437,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible