dismiss

The Cut and Construction of Clothes for Men…

The Cut and Construction of Clothes for Men and Women, c1560-1620

by Janet Arnold

The third of four volumes of Patterns of Fashions written and illustrated by Janet Arnold that together form an indispensable core collection for any costume designer, for theatre film or reenactments.The third volume in Janet Arnold's groundbreaking series Patterns of Fashion covers an earlier period than the previous two volumes: Patterns of Fashion 1660-1860 and Patterns of Fashion 1860-1940, concentrating on the Elizabethan and Jacobean eras. Significantly, too, this is the first of Arnold's books to include patterns for men's clothing. As well as Janet Arnold's meticulous patterns for these remarkable garments, the book includes an amazing 300 black and white photographs ranging from portraits of the period to details of articles of clothing .… (more)
    The Cut and Construction of Linen Shirts, Smocks, Neckwear, Headwear and Accessories for Men and Women, c1540-1660 by Janet Arnold (bruce_krafft)
    bruce_krafft: Patterns of Fashion 4 compliments this book as some of the items included go with the items in this book, for example the pickadil from the womans loose silk gown or some of the undergarments worn by Nils Sture

Late 16th C, early 17th C Just how did they make those clothes, and why did they cut them that way...? The answers await you in here! I am constantly going back to this book for reference. ( )
  hsifeng | Mar 27, 2008 |
If I don't use this book for the patterns and inspiration for my garb, I use the Spanish Tailor's Handbook. For inspiration I use paintings of the period, but this is where I get the patterns to make them up.
I actually have three copies, one to use, one to use when that one is worn out, and one I xeroxed so I would have one to make notes in. ( )
  reginaromsey | Feb 11, 2007 |
Excellent book! The first part has loads of (black-and-white) pictures of the extant garments, compared with art from the time. The patterns themselves have a lot of information. I learn something every time I read it. You should be familiar with how to change a pattern if you try to sew any of the clothes. ( )
  isiswardrobe | Mar 13, 2006 |
Incomparable reference for Elizabethan and Jacobean clothing construction. ( )
  Selkie | Jan 18, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,215,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible