My Darling, My Hamburger by Paul Zindel

My Darling, My Hamburger (original 1969; edition 1971)

by Paul Zindel (Author)

Four high school seniors struggle with the responsibilities of growing up, particularly the problems of an intimate relationship.
Member:pnficara
Title:My Darling, My Hamburger
Authors:Paul Zindel (Author)
Info:Bantam Book (1971), Edition: 1st, 122 pages

My Darling, My Hamburger by Paul Zindel (1969)

I don't remember a lot about this one, beyond the fact that I definitely read it as a teenager.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Ridiculous title, very little character development, full of tropes, and eminently predictable. ( )
  Bodagirl | Apr 1, 2020 |
I read this when I was a teen and thought I remembered really liking it. The writing is so choppy, unemotional and lackluster I found I didn't care one bit what happened to any of the characters they were so undeveloped. Not as good as Zindel's other work by far. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Jan 11, 2020 |
As great as I remember it from over 40 years ago. The only difference was that when I read it for the first time I was younger than the characters in the book and had yet to have some of the main experiences of the teens. Looking back all those years and having gone thru all of them, I can see their situation thru the eyes of a 55 year old, who remembers doing the same things and having the same things happen when I was much younger and understand how they felt as I felt likewise.

Highly recommended ! A ( )
  REINADECOPIAYPEGA | Jan 11, 2018 |
Paul Zindel's MY DARLING, MY HAMBURGER has attained the status of classic in YA fiction. First published in 1969, it has never been out of print. I've had the book on my shelf for over forty years, but am just now getting around to reading it. Its a small book, but it packs an enormous emotional punch, dealing as it does with the delicate subject of teens and sex. I suspect it's been on some banned books lists in the past five decades. But teens have always found it anyway, and have read it too, as evidenced by more than 500 reviews on its Amazon product page. The positive reviews are mostly from the kids, while the more cautious ones seem to be from adults.

I'll bet there are a few generations by now whose lives have been affected deeply by this moving story of high school seniors Maggie and Dennis and Liz and Sean. And, oddlY, even after fifty years, it doesn't seem all that dated. The message still hits home. (No spoilers from me.)

I read MD,MH in a single sitting of a few hours. Couldn't put it down. Zindel was a very good writer who remembered how it felt to be young. Very highly recommended for kids AND parents.

- Tim Bazzett, author of the memoir, BOOKLOVER ( )
  TimBazzett | Sep 26, 2017 |
To My Darling,
My Charlotte Zolotow
To My Darling,
My Charlotte Zolotow
"It was Marie Kazinski who asked how to stop a boy if he wants to go all the way," Maggie whispered.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,547,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible