Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of…

by Ben Mezrich (Author)

When M.I.T. student Kevin Lewis meets classmates Jason Fisher and Andre Martinez, he is intrigued. Although neither seems to have any real responsibilities, they always have plenty of cash. One evening, they tell Kevin why. Using card-tracking calculations, they have devised a way to beat blackjack. Once he learns the system, Kevin joins Jason and Andre at the casinos. There to the growing dismay of gambling kingpins, they make a fortune--all perfectly legal.… (more)
Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions
Authors:Ben Mezrich (Author)
Info:Free Press (2002), Edition: Notations on FEP, 272 pages
Collections:Loaned from Library
Rating:**

Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions by Ben Mezrich

Six MIT students form a team to play blackjack to win in the 90s. The story focuses mostly on Kevin Lewis, who leads eventually leads a double life. He's an MIT student & eventually gets a job, but on the weekends, he becomes one of a group that travels to Vegas and other gambling places as a players team - and have figured out a team method to consistently win at blackjack with hauls of thousands to hundreds of thousands per weekend, to split amongst themselves and their "investors". Very lucrative gig, for as long as it lasted. ( )
  nancynova | May 30, 2018 |
Okay, I admit it. I'm a poker player/fan. So interesting to read about how they pulled this off. If you like poker, a definite read. ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
I really did enjoy this book. I had it in paper but sent it along on its merry way via Bookmooch. I got the book because ads for the movie 21 looked interesting, but read the book first. Another instance of the book being better than the film. ( )
  Tanya.Book.Hughes | Dec 20, 2016 |
How do you make a book about sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll boring? This is how! Saw the film, enjoyed it. Read this, hoping to gain a deeper insight into what "happened". I'm also a bit obsessively interested with card counting and general numberiness so I was disappointed that took up about ten pages of the book and the rest was just a boring: "AND THEN HE WON MONEY. AND THEN HE LOST MONEY. AND THEN THE CASINO GOT UPSET."

Guh. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
In his sixth grade class, Charlie Lewis is known as Numbers, for his love of all-things math. When an MIT student recruits “Numbers” aka Charlie to join a team of middle school students in a secret math club, Charlie is thrilled. Their goal is to learn how using principles of physics, chemistry, and math can beat the odds at carnival games. After months of practicing, Charlie has his chance to prove his meddle and take home the prize of a lifetime park pass. The lessons he learns about being manipulated, about being honorable and responsible add up to a rollicking read aloud for a middle school math class. Students will be tempted to test out games to see if they too can beat the odds. ( )
  pataustin | Mar 1, 2016 |
21 (2008IMDb)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,820,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible