Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of…

by Ben Mezrich

When M.I.T. student Kevin Lewis meets classmates Jason Fisher and Andre Martinez, he is intrigued. Although neither seems to have any real responsibilities, they always have plenty of cash. One evening, they tell Kevin why. Using card-tracking calculations, they have devised a way to beat blackjack. Once he learns the system, Kevin joins Jason and Andre at the casinos. There to the growing dismay of gambling kingpins, they make a fortune--all perfectly legal.… (more)
Member:scwisher
Title:Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions
Authors:Ben Mezrich
Info:Free Press (2003), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 257 pages

Work Information

Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions by Ben Mezrich

A very entertaining read about the escapades of a group of MIT students using their God-given gifts to take down the casino's in Vegas, and eventually elsewhere.

[a:Ben Mezrich|2850|Ben Mezrich|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1405445508p2/2850.jpg]'s writing is fast paced and puts you in the moment of the excitement of Vegas. Some GR's reviewers have indicated that pieces of the story are fabricated. I have no idea if that is fact, or just someone who has a grudge against the author, or key players in the book. It is apparent there are people out there who would have liked to seen these kids prosecuted. Too bad, for the casino's, card counting is not illegal. The only option open to casino's is to ban the player.

Fast paced, quick read-I liked it ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
This book describes the story of a group of M.I.T. students who, through card counting, made a great deal of money. The story is mainly told through the point of view of Kevin Lewis, who relayed the tale to the author, Ben Mezrich. I assume that a decent amount of this book was fictionalized - I find it hard to believe that certain details & conversations could be remembered so clearly years later. However, this did help make for a more interesting read. It was a very exciting story, & the author did a good job presenting it. I enjoyed it, despite me not having any prior experience with the subject of casinos & gambling. ( )
  brp6kk | Jul 18, 2021 |
By now this is a well known story, a bunch of students from MIT with the help of a lecturer and some secret bankers take on the Vegas casinos. They do so using a deceptively simple method of card counting which although simple in theory takes a lot of concentration to pull off in the casinos. There remains the threat of being caught by security and black balled from ever casino on the strip.

Mezrich relays this story in a simple but effective manner keeping the story trotting along at a fast pace. I'm very glad that I read the book before watching the movie. There are a few changes in the movie and it misses out on aspect of the story. Although the fear is solidly there the book mentions that card counting in not illegal and casino security no longer smash offenders hands with hammers as punishment.

They say that fact is stranger than fiction and in this case it certainly is. ( )
  Brian. | Jun 13, 2021 |
The movie was fun, but only the book gives you the real story in full detail. It was exciting and fascinating all the way through! ( )
  donblanco | Jan 4, 2021 |
He aquí un libro interesante. Muy interesante. Narra la historia de un un grupo, o más bien un comando de estudiantes del MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) que se dedicaban a forrarse en los casinos de las Vegas durante los fines de semana. La historia está contada por un escritor amigo de uno de los miembros del comando. La idea general de cómo desvalijar a la banca es relativamente sencilla: En el Black Jack es posible ganar a la casa. Si además cuentas con la ventaja estratégica de saber qué cartas quedan dentro de la baraja, y de si abundan más las cartas altas o bajas, entonces tienes casi asegurada la victoria. Para ellos, los comandos se distribuían por los casinos con varias funciones: Unos eran los contadores de cartas, que jugaban pequeñas cantidades pero iban contando cuántas cartas quedaban en el taco de seis barajas que se usa para repartir. Cuando vieran que quedaban más cartas altas que bajas, avisaban a los jugadores de verdad, que empezaban a apostar cantidades muy altas. Como la probabilidad estaba a su favor, la gran mayoría de las veces les empezaban a sacar grandes cantidades de dinero a los casinos.
La historia cuenta cómo los casinos se defendieron de este grupo, que siempre actuó de manera legal (no hubo trampas, sólo recuento de cartas, lo que estaba permitido). Se aprecia lo fácil que es empezar a bordear la frontera de la propia integridad física cuando uno amenaza con dejar a un casino sin unos pocos miles de dólares. Durante muchos meses este grupo rodó por los distintos casinos de los EE.UU. durante los fines de semana, ganando millones de dólares; y al final se nos relata el resultado de la batalla entre ellos y los casinos que querían mantenerles alejados de allí de cualquier manera.
Es una historia realmente curiosa y muy interesante. Recuerda mucho a la historia de los Pelayos o a los Eudaemons. Engancha desde el primer momento y no deja respiro al lector hasta el final. Me lo he pasado pipa leyéndola. Mi nota, Muy buena. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
Bringing Down the House and Bringing Down the Mouse are different works by Ben Mezrich. Please do not combine them.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,580,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible