Characters & Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction…

Characters & Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing) (original 1988; edition 1988)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Characters & Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Writers Digest Books (1988), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 182 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Narrative Theory

Characters and Viewpoint by Orson Scott Card (1988)

Excellent reference on characterization. I should have found this sooner. ( )
  drardavis | Oct 8, 2018 |
I was initially skeptical about reading this book because of a few bad reviews I read before picking it up. Then I saw several good reviews and decided to give it a go. I do like "Ender's Game" after all. I can't say I was surprised by what I read in the book, it did cover a lot of common ground with other books on the same subject. However, I found the in depth discussions and use of well written examples to be very useful in illustrating the points. In my opinion, one of the better books on this topic out there. ( )
  KatiaMDavis | Dec 19, 2017 |
There's nothing new in books about writing fiction, only on how they're presented.

Some are written by academics and you need to be one to understand them. Others are written by authors who use them as a means of self-aggrandizement constantly quoting examples from their own work. These may not necessarily be good examples of what they're trying to demonstrate, but they're not about to let an opportunity to promote their work slip by.

In Characters and Viewpoint, Card uses straight forward prose and not a lot of examples from his own work and gives good insight into these two important aspects of writing fiction.

This is a solid book about what is stated in the title. ( )
  RodRaglin | Jun 30, 2017 |
This book concentrates on inventing and writing memorable characters and telling their stories from different viewpoints. It is part of Writer's Digest Elements of Fiction Writing series. Because of its limited scope, it delves further into its subject matter than many writing books. It provides lots of hints, ideas, and techniques for bringing characters into existence, how to develop their profiles, and how each viewpoint can be used to tell their stories in different ways. The subject matter is provided with a little humour, which helps lighten it. But there are none of the exercises you might see in other writing books. I give this book 4 stars. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | May 28, 2017 |
Of the books I've read about writing, this one taught me the most. ( )
  HenryJOlsen | May 21, 2016 |

WRITING & EDITING GUIDES. This book is a set of tools: literary crowbars, chisels, mallets, pliers and tongs. Use them to pry, chip, yank and sift good characters out of the place where they live in your imagination. Award-winning author Orson Scott Card explains in depth the techniques of inventing, developing and presenting characters, plus handling viewpoint in novels and short stories. With specific examples, he spells out your narrative options, the choices you'll make in creating fictional people so "real" that readers will feel they know them like members of their own families.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,605,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible