The Long Fall by Walter Mosley

The Long Fall (edition 2008)

by Walter Mosley (Author)

Member:sidney_ruffdiamond
Title:The Long Fall
Authors:Walter Mosley (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2008), Edition: First Edition
Rating:***

The Long Fall by Walter Mosley

English (36)  Danish (2)  All languages (38)
I had mixed feelings while reading this...half the time I was kind of bored and the other half I was totally engaged. I was bored because this was not written in a way that allows the reader to try solving the mystery. I'm not very big into the genre but if I pick a mystery up its because I want to try piecing it together on my own- knowing full well that if it's worth it's salt I'll be totally wrong anyways. There were not enough clues for me to do that here and as a result I was bored by the plot. What kept me engaged, however, was our main character Leonid McGill. I thought he was a really well developed and really intriguing character. For a "new" character L.T. feels like he's been around forever, and that's just good writing. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
That was an exciting thriller. It's just a shame that my library does not have any sequels to this series.
Leonid McGill is a private investigator with a dark past. He was once a henchman and a thug in the NY Underworld. Their arm is long and they still try to pull him into their machinations, even if McGill now only wants to work on the legal side. But he needs the money to feed his family and pay for his luxurious office, so his actions are always a bailout between good and evil. During his investigations, corpses pave his way. Thugs and killers are hired to get him out of the way, but McGill still keeps up with boxing and is better than his opponents. ( )
  Ameise1 | Apr 2, 2018 |
Trying to go semi-straight he gets drawn in to multiple murders. ( )
  nx74defiant | May 7, 2017 |
twitter,
  clsnyder | Nov 1, 2016 |
Mosley;s characters, no matter how improbable to a middle-class retiree, ring true. His dialogue, no matter how didactic, works. His mix of small detail, no matter how forced, works. This book burns through too quickly. It was not written to ponder, but to sprint. I wish I had a low gear I could force when reading. ( )
  kerns222 | Aug 24, 2016 |
In memory of St. Clair Bourne, documentarian extraordinaire
"I'm sorry, Mr. um?..." the skinny receptionist said.

Leonid McGill, a New York City private detective, tries to put his past life behind him. But it's not that easy when someone like Tony "The Suit" Towers expects you to do a job; when an Albany PI hires you to track down four men known only by their youthful street names; and when your 16-year-old son, Twill, is getting in over his head with a suicidal girl.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,618,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible