Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution by…

Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Howard Rheingold

Member:clevercelt
Title:Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution
Authors:Howard Rheingold
Info:Basic Books (2003), Kindle Edition, 288 pages

Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution by Howard Rheingold (2002)

English (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (4)
Howard Rheingold is something I want to be: observant. This is the third social / technological shift he has focused on (the other two being the arrival of the Internet and virtual reality). This particular book focuses on the impact on society of anywhere / anytime / anything computing in a world where the network is literally all around you. He covers a variety of topice from DoCoMo's i-mode to the use of text messaging in social revolution to wireless networking as a "commons."

How does he impact my writing? I have always thought of myself as an observant person and able to take my observations and apply them to the world around me. Rheingold is the next step. He is able to take a mass of observations and distill out the few pieces that matter. ( )
  cawilliams | Apr 11, 2016 |
This book wasn't quite everything that I had hoped for.

Specifically, I was looking for some insight into 'social tagging'.

The topics it did cover (p2p, reputation systems, wireless connectivity) were pretty good. ( )
1 vote dvf1976 | Apr 23, 2008 |
To Hannah Geraldine Rheingold, my mother and teacher, who gave me permission to color outside the lines: Thank you, Mom.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0738208612, Paperback)

Smart Mobs takes us on a journey around the world for a preview of the next techno-cultural shift. The coming wave, says Rheingold, is the result of super-efficient mobile communications-cellular phones, wireless-paging, and Internet-access devices-that will allow us to connect with anyone, anytime, anywhere.Rheingold offers a penetrating perspective on the new convergence of pop culture, cutting-edge technology, and social activism. He also reminds us that the real impact of mobile communications will come not from the technology itself but from how people use it, resist it, and adapt to it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

From Tokyo to Helsinki, Manhattan to Manila, Rheingold takes readers on a journey around the world for a preview of the next techno-cultural shift--a shift he predicts will be as dramatic as the widespread adoption of the PC in the 1980s and the Internet in the 1990s. The coming wave, says Rheingold, is the result of super-efficient mobile communications.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,807,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible