Batman: Year One by Frank Miller

Batman: Year One (edition 2011)

by Frank Miller (Author)

Member:akwael
Title:Batman: Year One
Authors:Frank Miller (Author)
Info:DC Comics (2011), Edition: Deluxe ed., 136 pages
Collections:Read, eBook

Batman: Year One by Frank Miller (Writer)

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (schatzi, TomWaitsTables)
    schatzi: another Batman classic from Frank Miller
    Batgirl: Year One by Scott Beatty (sduff222)
    Ronin by Frank Miller (TomWaitsTables)
    Daredevil: The Man Without Fear by Frank Miller (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Frank Miller's origin stories for these two giants have never been bested. The writing, art and imagination in both comics demonstrate what the medium can be.
    Bill the Boy Wonder by Marc Tyler Nobleman (Death_By_Papercut)
    Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again by Frank Miller (TomWaitsTables)

English (57)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All (59)
[b: Batman: Year One|59980|Batman Year One|Frank Miller|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327940389s/59980.jpg|2501570] is commonly viewed among comic enthusiasts as being one of the best of the Batman titles. From it emerged the seminal idea that Batman could be something other than camp. He could be gritty, he could be dark, and perhaps most importantly - the Caped Crusader was no longer invincible simply by being the title character of these comics.

Like [b: Watchmen|472331|Watchmen|Alan Moore|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327866860s/472331.jpg|4358649], though I feel [b: Watchmen|472331|Watchmen|Alan Moore|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327866860s/472331.jpg|4358649] has stood the test of time infinitely better, [b: Batman: Year One|59980|Batman Year One|Frank Miller|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327940389s/59980.jpg|2501570] suffers from having been the first of what now is an all too common take on superheros, and Batman in particular. It was iconic enough to become a trope, yet now it just seems tired. We've seen it all before, haven't we?

That isn't to say the comic isn't worth reading. It's a pleasant little mystery. The artwork is good, the writing decent. It focuses more on Gordon, which is a nice change from other Batman comics I've read. Batman is his old nearly invincible self. He seems more akin to a Sean Connery James Bond than the Bruce Wayne we're used to. While the bravado is a bit absurd - he goes skiing after being shot in the leg, really? That's how you recuperate? It's still a machismo that I have difficulty not finding charming. It's a good example, as other reviewers have said, of depicting manliness in a way that isn't directed towards strictly teenage boys. But a teenage boy would still enjoy this book. Listen to this, Michael Bay.

Expect the usual from Frank Miller here, bullets, booze, and broads. Expect prostitutes and enthusiastic fight scenes, corruption and cynicism. Expect noir style monologues that are the stuff that dreams are made of when it comes to Batman.

While tired, while overplayed, it's still a detective comic done right. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
3.5 stars.

So, it was a pretty decent story, but kind of short... As an introduction to Batman, I guess I liked it. I don't know. I might just not be into the whole superhero thing at all...

I did like the art, in any case. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
The great Frank Miller reboot! ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 16, 2018 |
I love me some Batman ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
  nerdythor | May 30, 2017 |

Miller, FrankWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mazzucchelli, DavidIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipPublication Designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lewis, RichmondColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Neil, DennisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gotham City. Maybe it's all I deserve, now.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0930289331, Paperback)

Whether you grew up reading Batman comics, watched the campy television show, or eagerly await each new movie, this is the book for you. A retelling of the events that led to Bruce Wayne's becoming Batman, this book combines Frank Miller's tight film-noir writing with David Mazucchelli's solid artwork.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:43 -0400)

The story of how Batman's career started, told in graphic novel form.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,327,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible