Embracing the Wide Sky: A Tour Across the…

Embracing the Wide Sky: A Tour Across the Horizons of the Mind

by Daniel Tammet

English (11)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (13)
Daniel Tammet
A biographical tale of a high functioning autistic savant. Daniel can calculate long math expressions, “sees” numbers as colors with special shapes and speaks 10 languages (including one he has created!). Not just your typical “disability memoir”. He is profoundly articulate and gives many literary examples and historical anecdotes to highlight info on memory, neuroplasticity, mathematics, language and synaesthesia. ( )
  starlight17 | Mar 19, 2019 |
The book is written by a savant by the name of Daniel Tammet. He has some special abilities in language and in numbers. His discussion regarding the mind is reasonable although at times basic. His discussion of how to improve rational skills is rudimentary. The novelty of the book is really the author and not so much in the content. I mildly recommend the book. ( )
  GlennBell | Oct 9, 2014 |
written by Daniel Tammet, the savant who also wrote Born on a Blue Day, this is an insight into the mind and how it works - hopeful for the aged as those neural pathways do keep connecting! ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Really fascinating look at how our brains work. I need to go back and read his first one, Born on a Blue Day. ( )
  ScoutJ | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is a rather interesting book by a high-functioning person with Aspergers. He posits that there is a continuum between so-called normal into the various levels of autism. This seems plausible to me. Tammet writes well, and his first book, Born on a Blue Day, was quite widely read. He takes us through various theories of intelligences, such as Howard Gardner's eight kinds of intelligences (linguistic, logical-mathematical, musical, body-kinesthetic, spatial, interpersonal, intrapersonal, naturalistic). Tammet takes us into memory and how story helps memory. I myself have some vey detailed memories, and have early childhood memories back to age 3 and remember many numerical types of numbers (e.g. bus frequencies), but I don't remmber names well, so as a whole I'm not outstanding as a whole.

His forays into language learning and understanding, and into the instinct for numbers were quite well done. Towards the end, a little carp came into the book. This is a popular volume, and not systematic, but is worth the read. ( )
  vpfluke | Jul 9, 2012 |
This book is dedicated to the beauty found in every kind of mind.
Our minds are miracles--immensely intricate webs of gossamer light inside our heads that shape our very sense of self and our understanding of the world around us.

Tammet explains that the differences between savant and nonsavant minds have been exaggerated; his astonishing capacities in memory, math, and language are due to neither a cerebral supercomputer nor any genetic quirk, but are rather the results of a highly rich and complex associative form of thinking and imagination. Autistic thought, he argues, is an extreme variation of a kind that we all do, from daydreaming to the use of puns and metaphors.

The author of Born on a Blue Day combines meticulous scientific research with detailed descriptions of how his mind works to demonstrate the immense potential within us all. He explains how our natural intuitions can help us to learn a foreign language, why his memories are like symphonies, why there is more to intelligence than IQ, how our brains turn light to sight, why too much information can make you stupid, and more.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,913,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible