The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger

The Little Yellow Leaf (2008)

by Carin Berger

letting go/surrender
  uurockfordre | Jul 29, 2017 |
29 months - a beautifully illustrated book and autumn story. I love the color palette, the simple uncluttered collage elements and the clean lines. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
A really beautiful book in terms of layout and illustration. A little leaf all alone afraid to drop from its branch finds he is not alone and together the last two leaves set off together ready 1, 2, 3.... ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Reading through the reviews of this book online, I'm struck by the fact that no one else has drawn the comparison I think fairly leaps to mind. Namely, that between Carin Berger's recent The Little Yellow Leaf, and Leo Buscaglia's classic picture-book explanation of death, The Fall of Freddie the Leaf. The two narratives are so very similar, in fact - a leaf clings to its tree as the autumn deepens into winter, afraid to let go, and face whatever comes next - that I was tempted to believe that this similarity in them was deliberate - perhaps a homage to one of the beloved books of my childhood?

In any case, Berger's collage illustrations here are so breathtakingly gorgeous, that I would still be recommending her book, regardless of the story, which is (unlike the Buscaglia) not so much about death, as about change in general. But back to the artwork! I love the different papers - lined notebook paper, graphing paper, handmade-looking greenish paper with white flecks - that Berger uses for her backgrounds. I love that many of the leaves and other objects were created with papers that had bits of writing on them. I simply adore the colors used, which perfectly evoke the wistful feeling of fall, and of impending winter. Every page is so gorgeous - something to be savored! - that I have difficulty picking a favorite. If I had to though, it would be the spread on which two vividly red leaves float across a golden "woven-mat" mandala. Just lovely!

In short: fans of beautifully illustrated picture-books will definitely want to peruse The Little Yellow Leaf. Whatever they think of the story, they will love the art! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 22, 2013 |
I don't know what it is, but I wasn't in love with this book. I mean, I get it and all and the illustrations are unique, but the book as a whole didn't do it for me. I have a feeling it was intended to be primary, but it felt a bit sketchy and overly sparing in a way. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
To the Little Yellow Leaf in all of us and to the Little Scarlet Leaves that help us find our courage
Also, as always, to Thea, my most excellent editor, and with great appreciation to MM, LF, and VAD
It was autumn.

As all the other leaves float off and fly past, Little Yellow Leaf thinks, I'm not ready yet.

As the seasons change all around, Little Yellow Leaf holds on to the tree. Still not ready.

Will Little Yellow Leaf ever be ready?

This is a story for anyone who has ever been afraid of facing the unknown—and a celebration of the friends who help us take the leap.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

A yellow leaf is not ready to fall from the tree when autumn comes, but finally, after finding another leaf still on the tree, the two let go together.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,078,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible