They Have Killed Papa Dead! by Anthony Pitch

They Have Killed Papa Dead! (2008)

by Anthony Pitch

An intriguing and engaging story of John Wilkes Booth and company's evolving plan to become heroes of the CSA. Truth is stranger than fiction and here you may forget you're reading about real events. ( )
  book_hound | Feb 7, 2019 |
There are a thousand ways of getting at a man if it is desired that he should be killed.
- Abraham Lincoln
When needed most he has been taken from us.
- Charles Morrell, Union soldier camped outside Richmond
I could have jumped upon the shoulders of each as they hung.
- Benjamin Brown French, Commissioner of Public Buildings
For my wife, Marion
So much like a wildflower

For my grandchildren, Kayla and Maya
Who will hopefully learn from the past

And in memory of Lucky, our beloved beagle,
Who lay by my side while I wrote
Until the day she died in my arms
As President-elect Abraham Lincoln's train prepared to chug noisily out of the Great Western Railroad Depot in Springfield, Illinois, on a cold, wet February 11, 1861, security officials far to the east worked overtime to prevent his assassination.

The assassination of Abraham Lincoln is a central drama of the American experience.  Its impact is felt to this day, and the basic story is known to all.  Anthony Pitch's thrilling account of the Lincoln conspiracy and its aftermath transcends the mere facts of that awful night during which dashing actor John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln in the head and would-be assassin Lewis Payne butchered Secretary of State William Seward in his bed in his own home. "They Have Killed Papa Dead!" transports the reader to one of the most breathtaking moments in history, revealing much that is new about the stories, passions, and times of those who shaped this tragedy.

Virtually every word of Anthony Pitch's account is based on primary source material: new auotes from previously unpublished idaries, letters, and journals. These authentic contemporary voices, writing with freshness and clarity as eyewitnesses or intimate participants, offer new images, a new vision and understanding of one of America's defining moments. With an unwavering fidelity to historical accuracy, Pitch provides new confirmation of threats against the president-elect's life as he traveled to Washington by train for his first inauguration, and a vivid personal account of John Wilkes Booth being physically restrained from approaching Lincoln at his second inauguration. Perhaps most chillingly, new details come to light about conditions in the special prison where the civilian conspirators accused of participating in the Lincoln assassination endured torturous conditions in extreme isolation and deprivation, hooded and shackled, before and even during their military trial. Pitch masterfully synthesizes the findings of his prodigious research into a tight, gripping narrative that adds important insights to our national story. [from the jacket]

Draws extensively on primary source materials, including unpublished diaries, letters, and journals, to examine the forces, personalities, and events leading up to Lincoln's assassination, the murder at Ford's Theatre, and the aftermath of Lincoln's death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,438,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible