Inexcusable by Chris Lynch

Inexcusable (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Chris Lynch

High school senior and football player Keir sets out to enjoy himself on graduation night, but when he attempts to comfort a friend whose date has left her stranded, things go terribly wrong.
Member:leicsteenagefiction
Title:Inexcusable
Authors:Chris Lynch
Info:Atheneum Books (2005), Hardcover, 176 pages

Inexcusable by Chris Lynch (2005)

I cannot rate this book, horrific as it was for me to read. This book is very short, and very very important for all human beings, particularly those with a Y chromosome between the ages of 12 and 79, to read several times. 1st person unreliable narrator, incredible ... I have more from my notes to post later.
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Was hard to figure out what was going on... Was hard to even tolerate the main character. Was hard to buy into his whole thought process. I have read books that deal with this hard topic, that are written much better (speak by laurie halse anderson comes to mind) ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
True rating: 3.5

This book is definitely more of a novella? short story? instead of a book. The entire thing is 164 pages and a lot of it is shorter pages. I probably would have finished the whole thing in one sitting if I hadn't been at work when I started (that pesky job just gets in the way of my reading time!).

From the first page, you are thrown into a present day situation where Kier and Gigi are alone in some type of room, and Gigi is accusing Kier of raping her. Kier is pleading with her to calm down, that she had agreed and enjoyed it, and mostly for her not to call her dad, boyfriend, etc. From there on you mostly get flashbacks that serve as back stories. Everything is from Kier's POV so you have no idea how reliable it all is. He basically tells you about how he is a good guy, tells you about his childhood and family, about his time as a football star, prom... all leading up until his graduation day.

As the story goes on, you start to find out that Kier probably isn't giving the whole story to things and you are really only getting what he thinks happen, which may or may not be true. Several times something happens and then you find out later that it wasn't the way he portrayed it, but he tries to defend himself by saying how good of a guy he is and good guys don't do stuff like that.

Honestly, I thought this guy was looney toons from the get go. Reading his story was very disturbing, especially knowing it was all leading up to what you only got a glimpse of at the beginning with Gigi. Through the book, you find out about Kier's alcoholic dad, Kier's own problem with alcohol, Kier's drug problems, and how immature Kier is. I didn't feel sympathetic towards him at all, even when things were really down and bad for him. The entire time I pretty much kept the stance that this dude is nuts and he is a creep and he is one of those guys who does very bad things but can't possibly take responsibility for them. I also believe that Kier has some sort of mental illness, but the jury is still out on that since the author doesn't provide any information or detail on it.

I gave the book 3.5 stars because I thought it was an interesting read, albeit a disturbing read. I probably would have given it a 4 star rating if the ending would have been a bit better. It leads up and leads up, and then..... just sort of ends. I was reading and then was like "what? huh? that's it?"

I think I would recommend it if you are a fan of books such as Pretty Girl-13 by Liz Coley (the mental illness portion and unreliable narrator and the whole WTF is going on part) or The Collector by John Fowles (the crazy dude who thinks he is helping and loving the lady by kidnapping her). If you are looking for a filler book to read in between series or books, this one is a good one to pick up since it is very short and fast paced.

3.5/5 stars

For this review and more, visit my blog:
http://southernbredsouthernread.blogspot.com/ ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
Keir is a good guy. A pretty decent kicker on the football team, tight with his dad and sisters, friendly with everyone, well-mannered. He's also been in love with Gigi ever since childhood. He would never do anything to hurt her ever. When she accuses Keir of raping her late after a graduation party, Keir can't understand how she could even think that of him, a good guy who loves her. The way things look really aren't what they seem or so Keir wants us to believe.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Chris Lynch’s “Inexcusable” examines an important issue facing contemporary adolescents—date rape—from an often underexamined perspective, the rapist’s. Lynch has created a believably deluded narrator in Keir Sarafian, a popular high school senior who plays on the football team and lives with his widowed father. Keir is by turns arrogant, insecure, oblivious, apologetic, inarticulate, sweet, and insensitive. In short, he could be many teenage boys. Keir, however, takes denial to new depths after he date rapes a girl named Gigi but refuses to take responsibility for his actions.

Although Lynch’s novel attempts to tell an important story, it is not so much a story as an extended character sketch. The plot, such as it is, is skeletal. The novel opens in the aftermath of the pivotal event, and the rest of the story—told largely in flashback—focuses on Keir’s past actions, most of which establish him as unreliable narrator—a young man who is not to be trusted as an accurate judge of his own (or his father’s) character. Keir’s flawed character IS the story, really, and every other character—Keir’s father, Keir’s sisters, other members of the football team—are there merely to provide Keir with human interaction.

This minimalist attempt at a plot renders the story—which, focusing as it does on a powerful and important issue—a disappointing shell. Young adult readers, for whom this novel is intended, will easily see through the thin plot and moralistic themes. ( )
  jimrgill | Oct 30, 2015 |
The way it looks is not the way it is.

Told in the first person viewpoint of Keir, a self described nice guy of the events of his senior year of high school. Keir is a fascinating character, but is he telling the whole truth?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,045,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible