The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other…

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Writings (Barnes & Noble Classics) (edition 2006)

by Washington Irving, Peter Norberg (Introduction)

&&LDIV&&R&&LDIV&&R&&LI&&RThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Writings&&L/I&&R, by &&LB&&RWashington Irving&&L/B&&R, is part of the&&LI&&RBarnes & Noble Classics&&L/I&&R&&LI&&R &&L/I&&Rseries, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of &&LI&&RBarnes & Noble Classics&&L/I&&R: &&LDIV&&R New introductions commissioned from today''s top writers and scholars Biographies of the authors Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events Footnotes and endnotes Selective discussions of imitations, parodies, poems, books, plays, paintings, operas, statuary, and films inspired by the work Comments by other famous authors Study questions to challenge the reader''s viewpoints and expectations Bibliographies for further reading Indices & Glossaries, when appropriate All editions are beautifully designed and are printed to superior specifications; some include illustrations of historical interest. &&LI&&RBarnes & Noble Classics &&L/I&&Rpulls together a constellation of influences--biographical, historical, and literary--to enrich each reader''s understanding of these enduring works.&&L/DIV&&R&&L/DIV&&R&&LP style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"&&R &&L/P&&R&&LP style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"&&RThe first great American man of letters, &&LSTRONG&&RWashington Irving&&L/B&&R became an international celebrity almost overnight upon publication of &&LI&&RThe Sketch Book&&L/I&&R in 1820, which included the short stories "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle." These two tales remain his crowning achievement, but in addition to being a writer of short stories, Irving was also an acclaimed essayist, travel writer, biographer, and historian.&&L/P&&R&&LP style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"&&R &&L/P&&R&&LP style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"&&RThis volume showcases Irving''s best work across a variety of genres, including whimsical newspaper articles about New York society, the theater, and contemporary fashions; charming travel pieces that evocatively weave together history and legend; humorous stories and satirical essays from &&LI&&RThe Sketch-Book&&L/I&&R and its sequel &&LI&&RBracebridge Hall&&L/I&&R, and excerpts from &&LI&&RA History of New York&&L/I&&R, considered the first great American book of comic literature. The author''s success enabled him to earn a living by writing alone, unheard of for an American at that time.&&L/P&&R&&LP style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"&&R &&L/P&&R&&LP style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"&&RIrving''s energetic, often tongue-in-cheek prose style, together with his ability to blend roguish satire, pathos, and picturesque description, had a profound influence upon the popular culture of his day. His writings have become a cornerstone in the foundation of the American literary tradition.&&L/P&&R&&LP style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"&&R &&L/P&&R&&LP style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"&&R&&LSTRONG&&RPeter Norberg&&L/B&&R&&L/B&&R received his Ph.D. from Rice University in 1998. Since 1997 he has been Assistant Professor of English at Saint Joseph''s University in Philadelphia. A specialist on the writers associated with the transcendentalist movement, he has written and lectured extensively on Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, Margaret Fuller, and the critical reaction to transcendentalism in the writings of Nathaniel Hawthorne and Edgar Allan Poe.&&L/P&&R&&L/DIV&&R… (more)
Member:clawton1
Title:The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Writings (Barnes & Noble Classics)
Authors:Washington Irving
Other authors:Peter Norberg (Introduction)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2006), Paperback, 528 pages

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Writings (Barnes & Noble Classics) by Washington Irving

Came for the Sleepy Hollow, stayed for the piles of other short stories.

Sleepy Hollow is the classic story of the nerd and jock competing for the affection of the rich girl. The nerd gets friendzoned and then the jock terrorizes the nerd by throwing things at him as he is on his way home.

I don't think I've read any Irving before but I liked the short stories collected. I don't know why, but I expected a book written in 1820 to have a lot of obscure language in it, but this was surprisingly easy to read. Unexpected favorite is the letters to the newspaper by an old man complaining about "kids these days with their ankles showing and lack of morals."
  nmorse | Dec 3, 2019 |
This is a collection of Irving's works. I would recommend getting an edition that only includes pieces by him you really like. I thought most of this was a chore to get through.

You can read more of what I thought of this book on my blog. ( )
  BittyCornwell | Oct 3, 2013 |

Washington Irvingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Norberg, PeterIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Mr. Editor,--If the observations of an odd old fellow are not wholly superfluous, I would thank you to shove hem into a spare corner of your paper.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,235,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible