Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-of-a-Kind Socks

by Cookie A.

Unconventional, rule-breaking socks are part and parcel in this unique guide to sock knitting that includes 15 new sock patterns. The skills of the average sock knitter are increased through design exploration and advanced stitch manipulation, treating the sock as a knitted canvas where elements are strategically and intentionally placed. New designs of floral lace patterns, angular geometric shapes, and unusual cables are presented along with detailed instructions on modifications to suit needs and aesthetics. The incredible range of style and complexity in this guide runs from sweet and simple to delightfully imaginative.… (more)

English (9)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (11)
An odd and somewhat distressing juxtaposition:

Thomas is a physicist at Cern who knits in public at lunchtime.
Anna is a physicist at Cern who envies Thomas but can't knit in public at lunchtime because she feels bad enough already that she is a girl without adding to her woes by typecasting herself even further.
Maybe Thomas can afford not to give a fuck and Anna can't.
Or maybe Anna is just being paranoid.

Women began denigrating knitting as part of the 'feminist' thing which involved rejecting everything their mothers did as being unworthy. Men had already denigrated such things since they stopped doing them centuries ago. Women, oddly, saw that being feminist involved thinking the same way as men did on these things.

Maths. Elegance is not optional.

This book's introduction:

My inspiration doesn't come directly from mathematics. I'm unlikely to knit a Fibonacci pattern, use cellular automata, or think of ways to incorporate crazy topological spaces. But my entire approach to life involves abstract thought rooted in maths. An elegant proof is one that is simple, involves a bit of insight that isn't considered obvious, and proves something that is greater than the sum of its parts. An inelegant proof is one that is done by brute force or is overly complex. I find exactly the same to be true of knitting. Taking simple components and combining them in a way that is greater than the sum of is parts is the essence of good design.

What are those components? 'Everything boils down to three actions: wrap yarn around needle, stick needle through loop, and pull yarn through loop. Depending on the order or the direction of these three manoeuvres, infinite possibilities exist.'
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
Gorgeous layout and great pictures. Cookie's patterns are lovely in this collection and I can't wait to start knitting some of them. The into section which discusses the layout of a sock and different toes and heels is well written. All in all, love this book and think it's a great addition to a knitter's library. ( )
  andrearules | May 13, 2013 |
The first part of the book explains techniques for designing socks. The second part contains many patterns for socks. ( )
  Pferdina | Oct 28, 2012 |
Some lovely designs in this book, one to keep if you love knitting socks. ( )
  susanbunny | Jan 1, 2012 |
I have been a fan of Cookie A.'s socks since the day I knit my first (of very many) pair of Monkey socks. Her detail is amazing and instructions are incredibly clear (as long as you have a bit of knitting experience). When I heard that this book was being published, I got myself on the pre-order list at Chapters. The book most certainly did not disappoint! The first part of the book includes tutorials in heel turning, different cuff styles, choosing a good fit, etc and then, Cookie gives us 15 beautiful sock patterns. My goal is to knit all 15 ...

accomplished so far? FOUR! ( )
  EvelynBernard | May 1, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,882,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible