dismiss

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki…

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (original 2013; edition 2007)

by Haruki Murakami

"Here are animated crows, a criminal monkey, and an iceman, as well as the dreams that shape us and the things we might wish for. Whether during a chance reunion in Italy, a romantic exile in Greece, a holiday in Hawaii, or in the grip of everyday life, Murakami's characters confront grievous loss, or sexuality, or the glow of a firefly, or the impossible distances between those who ought to be the closest of all."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)
Member:evareads
Title:Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Vintage (2007), Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:short stories, other cultures

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami (2013)

Recently added byfflossee, dunne.howrie, ljus, jwkennedy, Serrana, Thay1234, private library, quirkymon, vernaye, scottyn73
    On Flying Objects by Emil Hakl (rrmmff2000)
    Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Same atmosphere, same strangeness, but more murakami.
    The Elephant Vanishes: Stories by Haruki Murakami (SqueakyChu)
    Witte Veder by Sanneke van Hassel (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Hoewel ze zelf geen groot fan is van Murakami, deden zijn verhalen me aan haar werk denken. Elk heeft zijn eigen forte, maar in hun beider beste verhalen overvalt je een sfeer van vervreemding in het dagelijks leven.
    Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (Anonymous user)

English (62)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (72)
When I read Murakami, I sometimes feel that he is living inside me taking notes on my feelings and my observations about people I’ve met years ago or even this morning. Then he transcribes them to paper in ways that make the commonplace magical. “Blind Willow” is a collection of 25 short stories, though the book jacket says 24. So, if there is one you do not like, you can pretend it was never there. Murakami would be happy with that solution. Some are sweet (“Chance Traveler,” about a piano tuner who meets his soul-mate in an empty café); some are bizarre (“Nausea”) or chilling (“Ice Man”); some are sad (“Tony Takitani”, whose wife is a compulsive shopper); some are melancholic (“Hanlei Bay”, another piano player, who annually visits the site of her son’s death); and some are pure whimsy (“A ‘Poor Aunt’ Story.” As with his novels, many endings feel unsatisfactorily open-ended, but Murakami creates unforgettable images.

I would recommend that anyone reading these stories be of sound mind and stout heart, as they can get downright disturbing. Does this mean my mind is unsound and my heart is weak? I'm not sure. That's about as close to a descriptive review of this book as I am able to give. Read it at your own risk. ( )
  modioperandi | May 12, 2020 |
Great writer...but I am just not a short story type of person. So lower than normal rating. ( )
  evil_cyclist | Mar 16, 2020 |
Blackwell edition
  kirjen | Feb 24, 2020 |
Readers may be curious about Haruki Murakami due to the rave reviews of his full-length novels (ex: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, 1Q84, Kafka on the Shore), and their popularity in translation throughout the world. Those who may have resisted the call to undertake his lengthy and fantastic works might be encouraged by starting with Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, a collection of 24 short stories. With varying lengths and levels of inscrutability, the stories contained in the book are an excellent and accessible introduction to Murakami’s magical realism. The book could be described as a sampler of his gorgeous symbolism and elusive but incisive reflections on universal experience. Each story contains a provoking vision of the human condition, including such themes as: predestination; haunting choices and consequences; yearning for individual meaning; withstanding loss of love and identity; loneliness and isolation. The joys of Murakami’s prose justify the praise he has received, and any effort to decipher the layers within the tales Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman will encourage new fans to his other works. Once experienced in small bites, many will be lured into his novels-thereby immersing themselves more deeply and lingering longer in his beautifully rendered worlds.

Good for: Readers new and old to Murakami; those looking for International Fiction in translation; highly rated award-winners; fans of fully formed but linked short story collections; psychological and symbolic works of fiction.

You may like this book if you like: Kazuo Ishiguro, David Mitchell, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Jorge Luis Borges and Vladimir Nabokov. ( )
  jnmegan | Jun 23, 2019 |
Solamente un par de cuentos de este volumen me parecieron buenos, los demás son muy pretenciosos y nunca llevan a nada. ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |
Just as fiction that is purely mundane can be, well, mundane, fiction that is only fantastic is often only dull. Authors such as Paul Auster and Jonathan Carroll are successful precisely because they don't write in one mode or the other, but rather in both, and at the same time. By placing the mundane next to the fantastic these authors are able to show us the beauty of such everyday affairs as coffee or conversation; by placing the fantastic next to the mundane they provide the contrast necessary for readers to discern what makes their fancy other than facile.

No one does this better than Haruki Murakami . . . .
added by dcozy | editThe Japan Times, David Cozy (Dec 3, 2006)

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated

Contains

Dabchick (in McSweeney's 4 - EGGERS) by Haruki Murakami

Birthday Girl by Haruki Murakami

New York Mining Disaster (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

Aeroplane: Or, How He Talked to Himself as if Reciting (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

The Mirror (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

A Folklore for my Generation: A Prehistory of Late-Stage Capitalism (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

When I closed my eyes, the scent of the wind wafted up towards me.
Unlike my first friend, who’d killed himself, these friends never had the time to realize that they were dying. For them it was like climbing up a staircase they’d climbed a million times before and suddenly finding a step missing. (New York Mining Disaster)
It strikes me now that most of the girls in my generation--the moderates, you might dub them--whether virgins or not, agonized over the whole issue of sex. They didn't insist that virginity was such a precious thing, nor did they denounce it as some stupid relic of the past. So what actually happened--sorry, but I'm generalizing again--was that they went with the flow. It all depended on the circumstances and the partner. (A Folklore For My Generation: A Pre-history of Late Stage Capitalism)
I had no real impression of her at all. And it's hard to have a bad impression of somebody you have no impression of. (The Year of Spaghetti)
Thinking about spaghetti that boils eternally but is never done is a sad, sad thing. (The Year of Spaghetti)
Can you imaging how astonished the Italians would be if they knew that what they were exporting in 1971 was really loneliness? (The Year of Spaghetti)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,527,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible