The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues, Book 3) by…

The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues, Book 3) (edition 2018)

by Nel Yomtov (Author)

Series: The 39 Clues (3)

Amy and Dan Cahill have been located once again, this time in the company of the notoriously unreliable Alistair. Spies report that Amy and Dan seem to be tracking the life of one of the most powerful fighters the world has ever known. If this fearsome warrior was a Cahill, his secrets are sure to be well-guarded.… (more)
Member:Naibauer_Household
Title:The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues, Book 3)
Authors:Nel Yomtov (Author)
Info:Scholastic (2018), Edition: Illustrated, 48 pages

Work Information

The Sword Thief by Peter Lerangis

This was fast paced and action packed and it was wickedly good. Unlike Alex Rider it's not overly sad and unlike Cherub - I like the main characters. As a reader, I relate to Amy but I love Dan's way of looking at things. They're a great team. Nellie, the au pair, is hilarious. She's laid back and loyal and can speak a seemingly million different languages. The rest of the Cahill family kind of suck, but what's an adventure story without a villain? Or ten? The plot is riveting - the mix of fiction and history is fascinating and I'm flying through the series. They're not particularly long - but then this kind of book never is - or at least never feels like it is. I can't wait to read the rest. 4.5 stars rounded up to 5.

There's a touch of romance in this between Ian Kabra and Amy. I like how the authors keep giving a little bit of insight in to each of the villains - in this one we read a bit of the story from Ian's point of view - and as much as he's bad he's not totally bad. More of Alistar's background and character is revealed - we learn his father was killed by his uncle (the brother's twin) and that he doesn't have a very good relationship with his uncle. Very intense, very fast paced, I may even go as far as to say, best one of the series yet.
  funstm | Dec 1, 2022 |
ALL THE STARS!

This wasn't perfect, but I still loved it heh! ( )
  BooksbyStarlight | Oct 25, 2022 |
A fun way to teach history, and really get kids and young adults into learning. Even as an older teen, and adult, I still learned from these books, and enjoyed the ride along the way. ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
The writing in this book was markedly different from the other books, which I anticipated going in so it didn't bother me as much as it might have otherwise, but I think the biggest thing that bothered me about the book was the Ian/Amy interactions.

The other books had Any noticing how beautiful the Kabra siblings were, but so did everyone else. Amy's sudden crush on Ian - and him returning it - were out of nowhere for me and I actually felt relieved when the Kabra's ended up tricking them again. The romance was jarring and pretty unnecessary all things considered.

Alistair's fake death was very well-written and I liked it a lot, but overall this book was lower quality than the others. ( )
  worddragon | Mar 2, 2022 |
Children fiction; suspense/mystery. Peter Lerangis brings the action and suspense back for volume 3 of the 39 clues series. High suspense and lots of action ensure that kids will not be able to put this down (many readers will finish in about a day). Though there is a bit of 'kid spy romance' between Amy and Ian Kabra, and though Dan seems to take more of a beating for his 'dimwittedness' than perhaps he deserves, this volume was thoroughly enjoyable--more so, I thought, than the second volume and every bit as good as the first. Recommended. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

Rubio, VanessaTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stratthaus, BerndTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Tina, Nick and Joe, always. -- PL
They were toast.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,402,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible