The Poe Shadow: A Novel by Matthew Pearl

The Poe Shadow: A Novel (edition 2007)

by Matthew Pearl

In 1849 Baltimore, following the death of Edgar Allan Poe, Quentin Clark discovers that Poe's final days had been marked by a series of bizarre, unanswered questions and launches his own investigation to resolve the mystery of Poe's death.
Member:jsk85
Title:The Poe Shadow: A Novel
Authors:Matthew Pearl
Info:Random House (2007), Paperback, 400 pages

The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl

The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld (edwinbcn)
    Thunderstruck by Erik Larson (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Part history, part fiction and all together excellent historical fiction.
    Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe (kiwiflowa)

English (81)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (89)
This book was great until the last 20 pages and the ending was TERRIBLE. The language was fascinating, the plot interesting, and then the author clearly ran out of steam. Very disappointing ending to an otherwise good work of literary fiction. ( )
  jgmencarini | Jul 11, 2021 |
I really wanted to like this one, but it just didn't hold my interest. ( )
  irrelephant | Feb 21, 2021 |
I had really enjoyed Matthew Pearl's first novel, but this one didn't work for me. There are definitely some good ideas here (the usage of the two "Dupins", and the constant questioning of which is the "real Dupin" is pretty entertaining), but the plot is far too muddled and takes too long to go anywhere interesting. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
Pretty boring. I was disappointed; it seemed like a good story. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
Like all of the author's books, it takes a bit to get into and like all of his books there is a subtle but clear attempt to mimic the subject's (in this case Poe's) style. And that both helps and hurts the flow somewhat. It also feels like the actually plot takes more second place to everything else. It isn't bad but it wasn't all that enjoyable either. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
For my parents
I present to you, Your Honor and Gentlemen of the Jury, the truth about this man's death and my life.

Matthew Pearl is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Pearl chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 5, 2009 to Oct 16, 2009. Read the chat.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,295,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible